Carvin Legacy 100 repaired except amp buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Legacy 100 repaired except amp buzz

Some of the tubes were bad and the reverb section smoked 2 resistors. I replaced the resistors and it has all new tubes. The only remaining issue is an annoying loud buzz. I tried a ground lift on the plug and it made no difference. I checked the ground cables to the boards and they're all correct. I'm not sure of the best way to trace this down. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Video showing amp and buzz

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Gx3eQ7Iql4A

Thanks

Is the buzz still there with volumes down?
    If you run effects send to another amp, is the buzz still there?
    If you run directly into the effects return, is there still a buzz?

You may be able to narrow down the cause with these tests.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I see what you're getting at. The buzz is there with the volume at zero. I'll test the other two

Comment

Is this the same amp that had the arcing and burning at the tube socket? https://music-electronics-forum.com/...acy-head-issue
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It is. That's mostly been fixed. This is probably the last issue from that incident

Comment

I would not have started a new thread. There is pertinent information and history in the other thread.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

For starters, you did not say that you cut out the burn under the tube socket. If you just put conformal coating on it, the carbon will still act as a resistor between those 2 traces. It has to be removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	two.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	974349
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I did later remove all of the carbon with a Dremel. So all of the carbon is gone

Comment

How about those tests from post #2 ?

Comment

ran the tests.

Running the effect send to another amp I can hear the buzz but its pretty quiet on the second amp

Plugging a guitar into the return I can hear the buzz but it very quiet compared to going through the preamp section of the amp.

So in both cases I still hear it but its reduced.

Since the reverb section had blown components can I isolate that as a potential problem somehow without blowing the circuitry? I believe it requires a load? The reverb knob is all the way off

Comment

Are power supply filter caps good?
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I didn't check them but I can

Comment

I'm getting 110mv ac through them which seems ok? capacitance is good. I also can't find the caps listed on the schematic. On my board I have c83 c84 which I assume are the filtering caps. Guessing I don't have the correct schematic revision. The boards are 30-32101 rev h

Comment

I have Rev D and Rev F schematics for that.
                            Attached Files

Comment

F is much closer than the schematic I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X