Peavey Triumph PAG 60 repair questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Triumph PAG 60 repair questions

Hello all, I have acquired a Triumph PAG 60 and it looks like it was dropped at some point and the speaker outputs took the brunt of the damage... The body was bent, and I've bent it back pretty close to where it should be. There's a solder joint that broke in between the main and aux speaker output that needs to be repaired. I circled it in red in the photo. While I am in there, there's also a orange wire that I've circled that comes from the smaller of the two transformers. It doesn't look very well done and I'm curious if that is from peavey or someone else later on down the road. It looks as if the two jacks for the speaker outs were replaced at some point. Lastly, Is this amp self-biasing? I cannot find any bias points or adjustment pots. I've looked for schematics but can only find non PAG triumph. Thank you and have a great day.

Call Peavey and ask for a schematic. Their tech service isn't what it used to be, but still probably better than most.

Comment

I have a schematic for the PAG 120. I am guessing it is very close to the 60. The only difference should be in the output section, two output tubes instead of four.

The orange wire appears to come off the main transformer for the filaments. Check this against your amp.

Peavey_Triumph_120_PAG.pdf
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

In the picture, the orange wire appears to come from the OT, since Red/Blue/Brown go to the output tube board and the remaining wires go to speaker jacks. My bet is that the orange wire is just an unused OT secondary tap. The amp is likely fixed bias, as are many Peaveys.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I agree with the Dude.

Sorry, in my previous post I meant to say the PAG schematic has orange wires coming off the main transformer.

I just checked the schematic for the vanilla Triumph 60/120 (non PAG model). That OT has an orange wire for a 16 ohm output. It looks like the PAG uses a similar OT but does not use the 16 ohm tap. So... it appears you have an extra wire you can set aside.
          It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Thanks for the replies and for the schematic. I've repaired the output jacks. I couldn't find any obvious place the orange wire went and looked at the schematic and couldn't find it, so I tucked it away. I put the amp back together. There still appears to be some issues. When there's nothing plugged into the input jacks the amp is making what sounds like AM radio. If I tap on the jacks, the noise dissipates and becomes intermittent. Must be some kind of ground issue. The reverb is also not working and when I turn it up it changes the output of the amp and injects a bunch of noise. I assume there must be some grounding issues in the amp? I'll take the amp apart and check the grounds. Any Ideas?

Comment

Measure resistance of input jack tip contacts to chassis without a plug inserted. Should be close to zero.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                Measure resistance of input jack tip contacts to chassis without a plug inserted. Should be close to zero.
                Resistance measures OL on both the low and high gain inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson17 View Post

Resistance measures OL on both the low and high gain inputs.
                  Input jacks have switching contacts that should short the tip contacts to ground.
                  Clean and re-tension the jack contacts.

If the contacts are not shorting, hum will enter the input with nothing connected.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
                    Call Peavey and ask for a schematic. Their tech service isn't what it used to be, but still probably better than most.
                    Their tech service is actually pretty good. Peavey has been a tremendous supporter of the pedal steel guitar community and been the one company to design amps voiced specially for steel guitar and they have catered to this niche market for fifty plus years. I have several fellow steel players that have sent their amp chassis for repair within last couple of weeks and they were repaired and returned within a week. I just returned a NOS VK100 head to them I purchased off their ebay site. Began blowing mains fuse repeatedly. I sent an ebay message and within an hour or two their service department sent me round trip shipping labels to send it in for repair.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
                      I am about to send them the chassis out of my red stripe Bandit 112 for overhaul…lots of noise when nothing is plugged into footswitch jack even after thorough cleaning….probably needs new caps n so forth. How difficult is it to cut down the combo body into a head? Pardon me for interrupting the thread but I’m new to forum and haven’t figured out how to send PM’s. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickIHuey View Post
                        I am about to send them the chassis out of my red stripe Bandit 112 for overhaul…lots of noise when nothing is plugged into footswitch jack even after thorough cleaning….probably needs new caps n so forth. How difficult is it to cut down the combo body into a head? Pardon me for interrupting the thread but I’m new to forum and haven’t figured out how to send PM’s. Thanks!
                        Just start a new thread, easier than doing PMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Input jacks have switching contacts that should short the tip contacts to ground.
                          Clean and re-tension the jack contacts.

If the contacts are not shorting, hum will enter the input with nothing connected.
                          Cleaned the contacts and re-tensioned. They now read .2 ohms. The amp did quiet down quite a bit. The reverb is intermittent still, and is going in and out. It's not working more times than it is. When the reverb pot is turned down there is no noise in the amp, when it is adjusted it injects noise, degrades the volume output and on about 5-6 the amp has a rhythmic popping. When I was tensioning the jacks, I gave the effects loop jacks some looking over and noticed some cold solder joints so I reflowed them. I'm thinking I need to remove the main board and check the joints for the same. I swapped out the 12ax7 tubes but it didn't seem to help. Any thoughts?

Comment

If this has the molex connector, like many Peavey amps do, for the reverb tank, pull that connector and clean all the contacts on that connector. I've had problems with those in the past.
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Hello All, I've had a little time with repairs on the amp. I pulled the main board and there were quite a few cold solder joints that I reflowed, specifically on the potentiometers. I pulled the reverb tank and a spring literally fell out!! There's the reverb problem. I am going to buy a new tank. I am getting some popping still at very high volumes. Unsure what's causing that... perhaps the reverb tank. Also, as I was reassembling the amp the gain pot for the clean channel just fell apart, so obviously will need to replace that. Hopefully sourcing the part isn't an issue. Lastly, there's a fan in this amp, but it is right against the cabinet... I have a bandit that has no fan but there's a vent in the cabinet where there's one on this triumph? Is this normal or did this get a new cab somewhere along the way?

Comment

Working...
                              X