How big is your Variac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big is your Variac?

Saw this and used a Vhs tape for reference. Was paired with a ham radio amplifier.Click image for larger version

Name:	20240216_114137.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	994204
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

I don't have a variac. But that's huge. That's not even a regular knob for adjustment. It looks more like a boats steering wheel!
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

That powerstat looks like it might worth some money. Did a search online but not exactly sure model number. Websites online are asking $3000 and more. Not sure why but it says these units have a motorized adjuster on it. All the ones I saw say 0-240vac 50/60hz.

edit: or I read that wrong and it is for a 240 input. Now I am going to have find out more. lol
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Mine is a larger unit than I'd ideally like, as it's heavy and takes up too much bench space. It's 240v input and constantly rated at 10A, though does come in handy occasionally for running a toaster oven at lower temperatures for paint curing on small items.

Comment

I got a couple 20A variacs stashed under a lot of junk in the garage, part of some old xray machine. But that powerstat in the photo - that's a beauty! Got to use one much like it in Sao Paolo Brazil 1982 when power to stage measured 135 volts. The local PA guy rattled up this giant variac. We ran our band gear off it while I monitored voltage on a Simpson 260 and trimmed it up & down a tad over the course of the show. While mixing monitors. That's show biz! Ah the good old days...
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I have a General Radio one that looks quite similar but is much smaller, only 7" across the top. Mine looks very sad because the broken bakelite knob only has approx 1/4" of each spoke left. I had never really thought about what it looked like originally.

The one I actually use is a little Powerstat. I can easily pick that one up, rather than risking a visit to the chiropractor with the General Radio.

Comment

That one only goes to 100, you're all the way up, then where do you go?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I have this one from Amazon. The LED voltage displayed is spot on. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by Delta362 View Post
                  I have this one from Amazon. The LED voltage displayed is spot on. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                  I'm glad that it's working out for you. It's probably fine for testing equipment with modest power requirements. However, there are several suspicious claims in the ad copy which includes the following:
                  2000VA 20A Auto Transformer
                  110V 60Hz Input
                  Automatic Voltage Regulator
                  And the big typo "Current Rating 2000 Amps"
                  Last edited by Tom Phillips; 02-18-2024, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    That one only goes to 100, you're all the way up, then where do you go?
                    Inside intel. These dials are installed on all Nigel's Variacs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	nt1.png
Views:	72
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	994241

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

It seems that there are numerous mutations of the one I bought on that can be found on Parts Express, Amazon, eBay and the likes. I ignored the typos in the listing as most of these were written by someone who isn't a native English speaker. When I was looking for one, I couldn't find a used Staco or similar at the time so went with this. While mine is not a high quality piece of test equipment, it has worked for me so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta362 View Post
                        It seems that there are numerous mutations of the one I bought on that can be found on Parts Express, Amazon, eBay and the likes. I ignored the typos in the listing as most of these were written by someone who isn't a native English speaker. When I was looking for one, I couldn't find a used Staco or similar at the time so went with this. While mine is not a high quality piece of test equipment, it has worked for me so far.
                        I remember a couple of threads regarding those "variacs". The dodgy representation and specs usually got the poo poo from any service tech. It's a buyer beware situation BUT an autotransformer is an autotransformer. As long as it's up to the work your doing it should be fine. FWIW I vaguely remember some nitpicking about how the safety features are wired in those things. Grounding and fusing. But I don't remember details.

Comment

Here’s one of the threads. Greg Robinson post #6 gives good examples.

Does anybody use one of these variacs? It looks like a good deal. https://www.homedepot.com/p/VEVOR-Va...865397#overlay (https://www.homedepot.com/p/VEVOR-Variable-Transformer-2000VA-60Hz-Adjustable-AC-Power-Output-Supply-0-Volt-to-130-Volt-Regulator-with-Universal-Plug-Hole-BYQ1XDX2KWYJRMK01V1/322865397#overlay)
                          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I fell into a hole in the Internet and just spent 2 hours looking at pretty variacs and plotting how to spruce up my General Radio variac.

Mine is a model 100-Q which means 18A. So if my "little" variac needs most of a 20A circuit, wth do you plug the monster variac in the OP post into?

Comment

Originally posted by Pixel View Post
                              I fell into a hole in the Internet and just spent 2 hours looking at pretty variacs and plotting how to spruce up my General Radio variac.

Mine is a model 100-Q which means 18A. So if my "little" variac needs most of a 20A circuit, wth do you plug the monster variac in the OP post into?
                              That variac is sitting on a ham radio amplifier where the plates can reach 3000v. It also has a 240v plug on the end.
                              I just saw it at the ham radio shop and had to take a pic an share.

nosaj
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X