No announcement yet.

SWR Workingman's Twelve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transistors burn-through will be due to either thermal overload or a problem in the bias tracking node. The latter is the most common cause.

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
      But the +ve rail is only 0.25v, meaning something is shorting that voltage to ground.
      So the voltage at the positive output of the bridge rectifier BR1 actually is close to zero?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Oh, I beg your pardon. I looked it up.
        If R23 is 48V, then +56 is also there. But there is 0.25V on the collector of Q4. The conclusion is a break in the printed wiring to the +56V source.
        P.S.: the rest of what I've described above can be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
          Device is drawing 10-12 watts from wall.
          If there is so little current draw of the unit, I would think it is more likely that the +HV is missing, rather than something loading it down.
          Or a break in the connection between +HV and output transistors, like x-pro said.

Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

^^^^^^That. If the rail was actually shorted, you'd be drawing lots of current. It's more likely the rail isn't making it from power supply to amp. Possibly a burnt trace?
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Haw, I told you guys to rest, but you couldn't help yourselves. Bless you!

This goose chase started because I measured the wrong pin of the output transistor. Corrected voltages as measured:

Click image for larger version

Name:	swr3.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	470.0 KB
ID:	994450

Amp is passing signal, however very low output before distortion...only way less than one watt into a 2R load.

--
              I build and repair guitar amps
              http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

What are voltages on the bases of the output transistors. What are voltages on the driver transistors Q3 & Q9?

Comment

It seems to me that the problem is actually at the 'front' side of R23 and Q2 is probably shorted?
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    It seems to me that the problem is actually at the 'front' side of R23 and Q2 is probably shorted?
                    Neither Q1 nor Q2 are shorted.
                    --

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      What are voltages on the bases of the output transistors. What are voltages on the driver transistors Q3 & Q9?
                      Voltages updated:

Click image for larger version

Name:	swr4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	994460
                      --

Comment

Nothing is biased on and there's hardly any collector voltage on Q5. I'd test Q5. R24 could also have raised in value.

Comment

Voltages for Q5 and Q8 would be helpful.

Comment

One thing I noticed about that R23 getting so hot, in the LA15 (basically the same amp) they spec a 2W resistor there. So the heat is probably normal, and if it's a 1W in your unit, I would upgrade it to a 2W resistor for R23.

Comment

Working...
                            X