Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

favorite wire stripper for small guage wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite wire stripper for small guage wire?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a favorite automated wire stripper for small guage wire.

E.G. 24-26 guage.

I wouldn't mind spending extra for a tool that works real quick and clean.

thanks,
    mike

I have been using my Paladin for decades now and still love it. One of the Stripax series

Here is a similar one from Jensen (Stanley) speced down to 28ga, stock 412-158 and $89.

Check it out: http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_to...&parent_id=187

I have the PL 893

Techni-tool sells them for $73, stock # 618PL893 and I am sure others do as well. The spec says 12-20ga, but I use it all the time on smaller wires. Center conductors on lapel mic cable for example.

There are a number of strippers that look similar and act in similar fashion, but this one is self-adjusting. The blades are actually rows of tiny blades - almost looks like a strip of staples - instead of a single blade all the way across. This allows them to form fit around the conductor in the wire while cutting through the insulation. The thickness setting on it doesn't set the space between the striping blades, it sets the tension or pressure they put onto the wire.

The orange thingie is a depth stop, you can move it around to make multiple strips all the same length.

There are other fancy mechanically intricate strippers that work well, they clamp the wire on both sides, then cut the insulation with sized dies, then pulls the sides apart. These work well, but you have to line the wire up in the dies. The Paladin with the rows of little feeler blades requires no alignment. Just stick the wire in there, and anywhere along the blade it will strip. I can stick two wires in side by side and strip them both - like stripping zip cord for example. I can even take small sections fo ribbon cable - three conductors maybe - and strip that.

It is one of my favorite tools.
    Last edited by Enzo; 10-16-2008, 01:52 AM.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

My electronics teacher in high school wouldn't let us use the "fancy strippers". He made us learn to do it with diagonal cutters. I still hate doing it that way. I bought these at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-92&lpage=none

I was skeptical because of the price but they are about 2 years old and still work.
      David

Comment

thanks Enzo,

best,
        mike

edit to add: thanks DW

Comment

Originally posted by dwhutchens View Post
          My electronics teacher in high school wouldn't let us use the "fancy strippers". He made us learn to do it with diagonal cutters. I still hate doing it that way. I bought these at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-92&lpage=none

I was skeptical because of the price but they are about 2 years old and still work.
          David
          Hah! I normally use Xcelite 170m cutters as dual purpose cutters/strippers. Just used to it I guess...one less tool to hunt for. For teflon jacketed wire I'll use an Ideal "T-stripper".
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I use an Ideal T-Stripper too, and diagonal cutters or a pocket knife for wire sizes that don't suit any of the T-Stripper's holes.

I never got the hang of the fancy automated strippers. My office mate at work has this weird thermal wire stripper with hot blades that melt the insulation off, and I practically start a fire every time I use it.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Teeth, just check its not live

Comment

That's why I love my Paladin - no holes to line up with, no aiming. Just stick the wire end into the jaw and squeeze - no more complex than using a stapler.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo,
                  That feature seems really useful.

I started stripping wire with a hand me down pocket knife that my Dad used when he started with at Con Ed. That was thirty five years ago.

I've been using a simple combo crimper/stripper or an Xacto knife for a long time.

I'm at the point where my least favorite part about soldering is stripping the small wires.

I have a project coming up where I need to prepare 32 *quad* style microphone cables and just thinking about stripping the 26g wire was disheartening.

I've known there were some good tools for this but never sought them out.

I think I'll give the Paladin a try.

best regards,
                  mike

edit to add:

Enzo, Do you think the Paladin will be suitable for something like Canare StarQuad mic cable? I usually have very little wire extending from the primary (multiconductor) insulation. Will the Paladin fit in that close?

thanks,
                  mike
                  Last edited by mike_mccue; 10-16-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

For mic cable its usually better to use a stripper thats intended for coax.....one of those adjustable ones that you clamp onto the cable and spin around.
                    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I usually get the main insulator off with an Xacto and pick the braid apart with a dental pick.

It's the 4 (twisted-twisted pair) 26 gauge wires found within the braid that I am trying to save time stripping.

best regards,
                      mike

Comment

I don't know on the current model, but I suspect the dimensions are similar. On mine the blades are back about 6mm from the tip of the snout, so to strip the small inner conductor, there must be at least 6mm of it exposed from the larger jacketing plus the amount you want to leave bare when done.

Order from a realible retailer so it can be returned if it doesn;t meet your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Suburbanite View Post
                          Teeth, just check its not live

Ya beat me to it! I would normally torch the end a bit with my lighter first- sometimes for 28ga wire you could then strip it off with your fingernails (and save your teeth for something more important- like gnawing on trees!)

Steve Ahola
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:
                          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

When I look in the miror at my $1500 tooth and his other expensive buddies, the last thing on my mind is "Gee, I bet I could strip wires with these."

Comment

Thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X