Light bulb current limiter behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light bulb current limiter behavior

Most of the time when I plug an amp into mine, if it's good, the light is pretty dim. But sometimes it is a little brighter but not totally bright. What does that signify?

The brighter the lamp the higher the current flow through your equipment.
    But, there is a problem ... the brighter the lamp, the more voltage across the lamd which means the lower the voltage on the equipment and that causes all sorts of odd annomolies.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Is it normal for some amps to make the bulb brighter? Or does it mean trouble is brewing?

Comment

Amps differ in current draw at idle. As amp and LBL are wired in series, their current always must be the same.
        So more amp current means more lamp current. More current makes the LBL glow brighter.
        Even hotter bias can make some difference.

Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-09-2024, 09:19 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

A 5 watt Champ will glow dimmer than a 100 watt Marshall even tho both may be normal/ no shorts.

Comment

Tube amps have filaments that draw current so the bulb will glow when the amp is on.

It is hard to know if there are problems without knowing the amp and the wattage of the light bulb.

Comment

Yes, different amps can cause different brightness. I usually use a 40W bulb in my LBL; my Rivera Concert lights it up more than my little 2x6V6 homebrew, which barely lights up a 100W bulb at all.

When I'm done working on an amp, I'll usually put it on the limiter with no tubes in. The bulb should barely light at all like that, because transformers don't draw current at idle with no tubes. Then I'll put the tubes in & the bulb will glow brightly for a second or two & gradually fade. If it gets bright & stays there, it's an issue, & we check the amp over again.

​​​​​​Jusrin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

It's also worth remembering that a bulb limiter can cause a fault condition to occur with some transistor amps. Some will swing the output to one supply rail, placing a high DC voltage on the speaker output and drawing excessive current. It makes the amp look like it has a shorted output transistor when there's actually no fault at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  It's also worth remembering that a bulb limiter can cause a fault condition to occur with some transistor amps. Some will swing the output to one supply rail, placing a high DC voltage on the speaker output and drawing excessive current. It makes the amp look like it has a shorted output transistor when there's actually no fault at all.
                  Can this also happen with variac at lowered voltage?
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Can this also happen with variac at lowered voltage?
                    Yes it can. I see it often. It's why I never use a variac when a load is connected. It's also why I wouldn't use a LBL with a load connected.

EDIT: For clarity, I'm talking about a load on the amp output- not the variac.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Fortunately tube amps don't latch.
                      ..and can't have DCV on the output .
                      Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-09-2024, 11:48 PM.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

As per The Dude's reply, I've also only seen the latching when a load is connected and with a variac as well as LBL. Not all amps do this, but it can be a trap for anyone doing repairs or powering up a solid state amp for cap reforming.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                          Fortunately tube amps don't latch.
                          ..and can't have DCV on the output .
                          Unless its a directly coupled OTL design using +/- rails. Unlikely in the guitar amp world, though I really would like to build one just to hear how one would sound compared to a transformer output. Maybe for an acoustic guitar amp.

Comment

Working...
                          X