Bugera v22 mod questions from a beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugera v22 mod questions from a beginner

So I got this v22 and it sounds pretty sweet, but it doesn't have the kind of tone control that I want (bass eq does nothing, mid bleed, etc.) So I'm trying to mod it and am pretty far in over my head. I understand the basics of circuits and schematics and can solder well, but besides that I really don't know what I'm doing. I got some advice from a youtuber who modded this amp and am basically doing the following:
    1. upgrade coupling caps to orange drops or better.
    2. silver mica for the ceramic disc
    3. C20/1500pf to 50pf-120pf.
    4. Eliminate C1
    5. bass to treb balance controlled by R24/100K...higher lowers bass/mid in mix...lower increases bass/mid in mix

This is what that guy sent me and I don't really know what to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Oh and I'm using this schematic: http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/.../bugerav22.png
    I'm not sure if that is a modded or stock schematic.

Originally posted by AfterTheUndead View Post
    So I got this v22 and it sounds pretty sweet, but it doesn't have the kind of tone control that I want (bass eq does nothing, mid bleed, etc.) So I'm trying to mod it and am pretty far in over my head. I understand the basics of circuits and schematics and can solder well, but besides that I really don't know what I'm doing. I got some advice from a youtuber who modded this amp and am basically doing the following:
    4. Eliminate C1
    5. bass to treb balance controlled by R24/100K...higher lowers bass/mid in mix...lower increases bass/mid in mix

This is what that guy sent me and I don't really know what to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Oh and I'm using this schematic: http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/.../bugerav22.png
    Before you do anything try a different speaker. You don't have to buy a new speaker to do it. Plug it into a borrowed cab.

Comment

C20 I see is 470pf, not 1500pf. reducing it to 50-120pf will add some treble to the tone.

C1 is the output cap from the emitter follower FX loop SEND drive. It blocks any DC. Why on earth would anyone remove that? Besides the ONLY thing it affects is the FX send.

R24 is the plate resistor for V1b and is 150k. I am nor sure how it could balance mids and lows. You sure you didn;t mean R66 in the tone stack, it is the "slope" resistor.

As to the first two, I surely would do ANYTHING else I intended for the amp before doing that. I don't expect changing the capacitor brand to do much of anything to the amp, certainly not make the bass controls more responsive.

And take olddawg's advice, try different speakers. NOTHING changes the sound of an amp more than a different speaker.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Here is a nice web page on different Fender tone stacks.
        Link: Adam's Amplifiers: Tone Stacks
        It is a pretty easy read.
        One thing to keep in mind is that this is a 20 watt amplifier.
        The voltages that it runs on are very low compared to higher power amps.
        Therefore I would not expect to hear any thundering bass notes from the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          C20 I see is 470pf, not 1500pf. reducing it to 50-120pf will add some treble to the tone.

C1 is the output cap from the emitter follower FX loop SEND drive. It blocks any DC. Why on earth would anyone remove that? Besides the ONLY thing it affects is the FX send.

R24 is the plate resistor for V1b and is 150k. I am nor sure how it could balance mids and lows. You sure you didn;t mean R66 in the tone stack, it is the "slope" resistor.

As to the first two, I surely would do ANYTHING else I intended for the amp before doing that. I don't expect changing the capacitor brand to do much of anything to the amp, certainly not make the bass controls more responsive.

And take olddawg's advice, try different speakers. NOTHING changes the sound of an amp more than a different speaker.
          So then would you suggest that I not even mess with replacing the caps? I'd rather not deal with that if it's not gonna make a noticeable difference in tone. Other than that, is there anything I can do to make the bass more responsive? That's the biggest problem I hear with this amp.

Comment

The Bugera v22 is a Peavey clone. Will that fender tone stack still apply?

Comment

bugera V22 mods

Originally posted by AfterTheUndead View Post
              4. Eliminate C1

check out my demo on youtube donnyboy911 any one can email me @ dtmole@cccomm.net for schem / details
              PS: locale: Fallon ,Nv PST

Comment

** there a few redundancies in stock circuit that I address in detail and theory so you can dial in what works best for you. if you like the thin lead tone ;simply drop the OD 1st gainstage cath resistor to 900 ohm-1K. raise 2ng gain stage carh resistor to 3K(V55 uses 4.7k...too squishy..IMO)...al may be done from top with experienced solder techniques.

Comment

Hi donny

May I HIGHLY suggest if you want your email out there, at least break it up and spell out the symbols: Enzo@isp.com becomes Enzo at isp dot com. Everyone will understand that code, but the email address harvesters and spam bots won't read it as an address.

I used to offer my email in posts, even coded, and I am still getting emails from posts from TEN YEARS ago.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks....forgot....duh 8-)

Comment

Working...
                    X