No announcement yet.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe volume pot replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inexperienced? I have a hell of a lot more experience than YOU do, that's a good bet.
    I've repaired more amps than you have "seen." And, I've probably been doing it since before you wore diapers.
    Well, SGM, you have done it. I used to think you couldn;t sound any more stupid, and yet, here you have done it. If you have read any posts here at all, to make such boasts in the face of someone like Stan who clearly has a much richer background in amps than you can ever hope to, is just juvenile.

You would do well to shut up and learn from people like Stan and Juan rather than try to impress the inexperienced posters with your "experience."
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

^^^Yes.

I've thought about using the forum's 'block user' function many a time. I haven't simply out of morbid curiosity. It's like watching a fatal car accident. You don't really want to see it, but you just have to.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

but did the amp ever get fixed?

What's this thread about again? Hmmmm, I bet that gimungous "pot" out of that old variac in the corner will NEVER break! (runs into other room & gets screwdriver and a "Crate Biasing Tool"...)

Actually I think Stan's idea is pretty dang clever. And cheap (in a GOOD way). And practical. I'd try that first if iit was me.
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I have the perfect replacement.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	power-rheostats-39029-2642363.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	832783

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Well, SGM, you have done it. I used to think you couldn;t sound any more stupid, and yet, here you have done it. If you have read any posts here at all, to make such boasts in the face of someone like Stan who clearly has a much richer background in amps than you can ever hope to, is just juvenile.

You would do well to shut up and learn from people like Stan and Juan rather than try to impress the inexperienced posters with your "experience."
            I heard a line in a movie yesterday that described him perfectly: "he's like our very own idiot savant, without the savant".
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
              I heard a line in a movie yesterday that described him perfectly: "he's like our very own idiot savant, without the savant".
              g-one- I'm reposting this so I can like it again.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
                You just confirmed Juan's point, the transistor designations do not have to appear because they are understood to be what they are. No working tech would be unaware of that.
                For someone who insists of fairy-dust parts, using NTE is pretty hypocritical when they are not the same as the original and are not guaranteed to be anything but a generally serviceable part in non-critical circuits and "close enough" for many applications. A Hartke is not too critical except the power out devices which which used to be MOSFETS and later were switched to lower cost BJT. They are run right on the ragged edge of SOA with too little heatsink to handle extended thermal stress so that would be the last place for a general purpose hobby replacement transistor of unknown type.
                No one has it out for you, but you invite hostility by posting ill-advised recommendations as the only suitable solution, or taking positions that are clearly not based on experience or technical education. You should think twice or thrice before posting much of what you post. You have contradicted every very experienced, successful tech and engineer on this forum without any evidence that you had any more insight or knowledge than the people who are asking for assistance.
                A. These attacks are a load of groundless hogwash.

B. The "evidence" used to attack is fabricated.

C. You attack, simply because it is "popular" to attack.

D. You practice a "mob mentality."

And, if Hartke had support for their products, we would probably use their support and parts.

BUT since they don't support (typical planned obsolescence)...
                the consumer is forced to seek solutions elsewhere.

It's rather laughable, because the Hartke amps I repaired with NTE are working more reliably than the original factory built them. (why am I not surprised?) After years, I am still waiting for one of them to fail....You may have a pretty long wait...I'm still waiting, and waiting...So when is this inevitable failure going to occur? answer IS: IT WON'T.
                Despite your doom and gloom, The fact that they keep working for years with no problems, speaks for itself.
                Where is your basis for criticism? There simply isn't any.

E. I repair just as many amps as these "attackers," and they are repaired just a well, just as successfully, and they are equally reliable and dependable. Bank on it.

F. I have no complaints from customers, music stores, commercial clients, or others. I have essentially "zero" call backs or returns.

G. I have hundreds of highly satisfied customers who recommend me, year after year.

So, if you are going to subscribe to the "mob mentality," and lash out at me because it's "popular..."
                I also know that there are several hundred other people, who would probably disagree with you.

The fact that I prefer to use a different style volume control, in a Fender amp, to obtain a certain desired result,
                is mirrored by the fact that thousands of others have done the same, (and continue to do so) with equal success.

Despite the barbed criticism, my technical experience and practice is just as proficient as yours is.
                I can stand just as tall as you, as any of them, and continue to do so.
                No matter how you point the finger and accuse, I am equally capable and successful as you, or any of these other "attackers."

So, enjoy your attacks. You have failed to influence me, or any of the people I have served (and continue to serve) for so many years.

Your attacks mean nothing, because they are nothing, and these have no basis in reality. Have fun.
                Last edited by soundguruman; 03-15-2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

A. These attacks are a load of groundless hogwash.

B. The "evidence" used to attack is fabricated.

C. You attack, simply because it is "popular" to attack.

D. You practice a "mob mentality."
                  Unsupported claims.

And, if Hartke had support for their products, we would probably use their support and parts.
                  They do support their products, I am in fact one of their service centers, and they do not fail to provide me with parts and support documents.

It's rather laughable, because the Hartke amps I repaired with NTE are working more reliably than the original factory built them. (why am I not surprised?) After years, I am still waiting for one of them to fail....You may have a pretty long wait...I'm still waiting, and waiting...So when is this inevitable failure going to occur? answer IS: IT WON'T.
                  Despite your doom and gloom, The fact that they keep working for years with no problems, speaks for itself.
                  Where is your basis for criticism? There simply isn't any.
                  Basis? OK, that transistor amps will by their nature allow rather broad substitutions, and while your NTE stuff worked, it is not the same as the real parts. So what you did was install parts other than those required from a supplier that charges several times the going rate for parts, so your customer is out of pocket a considerably larger amount than necessary. Analogous: put the wrong size tire on a car, and it STILL will drive down the highway.

But what is really laughable about it is when you trumpet use of NTE, the lazy TV repairman replacement line, as evidence of your experience. No one who has any experience level will rely on NTE parts. Cost alone is a detriment.

E. I repair just as many amps as these "attackers," and they are repaired just a well, just as successfully, and they are equally reliable and dependable. Bank on it.
                  COnsidering you have no idea in the world how many amps any of these people have repaired, nor how successfully they did so, I have to write this off as unsupported boasting. SO I won;t be using your bank, thank you.

So, enjoy your attacks. You have failed to influence me
                  Well, gee, with all your experience, maybe we just are not yet up to your level. Perhaps you might find some other forum where the folks would appreciate your wisdom and beneficence, since we obviously are not prepared to accept it. Maybe Harmony Central. Or perhaps the HelloKitty forum. Here:

Hello Kitty Forum - Hello Kitty
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

FWIW, soundguruman pearls of wisdom can be found all over the net, having been kicked out or stonewalled at countless Forums.

As an example, just one "helpful answer"at Tom's Hardware:

blehr
                    December 18, 2011 1:20:51 AM

left ear bud does not work, wires appear to be connected

soundguruman
                    December 24, 2011 4:40:44 PM

BOSE= Buy Other Sound Equipment
                    The dealer will order you a new cup if you really want to repair it, but why?
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                    X