Tube sockets that jingle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube sockets that jingle

Since the only way to get parts is online anymore I can't physically inspect any prospective purchaces. So if anyone knows of some good sturdy, tight nine pin sockets I would appreciate the info greatly.

It seems that most nine pin sockets jingle/jangle. At least the ones I've bought. In this case (they are already installed and I don't intend to remove them) could I just squirt a blob of silicone on them or something? Any tricks?

FWIW I will be playing my amps that jingle through the holiday season

TIA

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Silicon might well do the trick, or it might dissolve with the heat in that neck of the woods. I find that when the tubes are inserted, the socket pins tighten up, esp if I 're-pre-tension' them.

On octal sockets where there are unused pins that I am also not using for anchoring grid resistors 'other' ends to, I take the pin out to stop the rattle - but I find the Belton ones generally rattle less than the ceramic style ones.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I also find ceramic sockets a more loose and rattly than molded ones.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks. I've always used the ceramic sockets because they "seemed" better. That and when I first started doing this stuff I had a problem with an amp whose molded octal socket had an arc and went conductive. But there are plenty of Fender amps out there still working so I guess it's not a common issue.

The problem isn't loose pins. The sockets themselves are loose in the mounting ring.

Any molded brands that are known to be nice and snug? I like to omit "tube keepers" when I can.

By the way, what are they made of? They look like Bakalite.

Chuck

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

The ones I get are newbies, and it looks like some kinda hi-temp resistant plastic
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I have a little Gibson GA15 1x10" combo. It melted the power tube sockets (under warranty) so I got Gibson to send new sockets to a local repair shop and they installed them (had to go to an authorized repair shop to get the 'free' sockets...of course they confused pin 1 for pin 9 and didn't bother to solder pin 1 since it is unused...so my amp had no solder connections on the screens..I fixed that and I'm digressing).

In any case, the new ceramic power tube sockets rattle like you wouldn't believe. I've almost covered them with High Temp Silicone but it didn't really help. Inserting the tubes doesn't 'tighten' the pins enough to matter...they still rattle.

I don't have a cure and if done right maybe the silicone would work but I just wanted to chime in and say that the silicone-job didn't work in my amp. EDIT: and it looks like shit and I hope I never have to go back in there.

Comment

I will share a secret with you guys. Don't tell anyone.

Antique Electronic Supply, part number P-ST9-213MX

NOS military sockets still in the military packages, very high quality, no jingle.

They cost more but it's all I will buy, I order extra every time to stock up.

Alby.

Comment

Thanks all.

Alby, This design will probably be manufactured. So I'll need a socket thats still being made. But, since the P-ST9-213MX comes with such a high recommendation I may use them for these two amps I'm working on. I have a deadline on the proto's and I can't afford random problems. I can take time to find a more repeatable part to spec later.

Cheers

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                X