Niegative bias voltage, rectifier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilder Amplification View Post
    With as little current as is being drawn from a typical bias supply cooling isn't even a factor worth considering.
    Oh, I wasn't talking about the bias supply, but about his 1.4kV B+ from post #13.
    And I forgot to ask him how the transformer coil could filter the diode switching noise better with the diode being on the other side...

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Kreuzer View Post
      Oh, I wasn't talking about the bias supply, but about his 1.4kV B+ from post #13.
      And I forgot to ask him how the transformer coil could filter the diode switching noise better with the diode being on the other side...
      Well, by using the Fast Recovery diodes, there should be no issues with switching noise. I just happen to prefer the diode being on the ground side of the secondary coil. Personally, I don't think the secondary coil of the power transformer would abate any switching noise from a normal diode, like a 1N4007. But, for a bias power supply, as the topic of this thread, if I were using a 1N4007 ; on either side of the secondary coil, one could put a small RF choke in series with the diode to help attenuate any switching noise. However, it's not clear to me just how much of that switching noise would become present at the control grid of the power tube. I would not believe it would present much of a problem.

Now for the 1.4 KV Beam Power Supply, perhaps the neat thing is, from the center tap of the secondary I derive abouts 750 volts for the screens, and from the primary tap I derive voltage for the plates. Just trying to keep it simple.....

-g

-g

Comment

Originally posted by mooreamps View Post
        Now for the 1.4 KV Beam Power Supply, perhaps the neat thing is, from the center tap of the secondary I derive abouts 750 volts for the screens, and from the primary tap I derive voltage for the plates. Just trying to keep it simple.....
        That sounds interesting. Could you please post a schematic?

Comment

Hey, guys !!! down, pleeezzz !
          I know staying up all night trying to solve a problem usually calls for a lot of coffee, with its usual side effects.
          Let alone waking up early next morning, cutting very necessary sleep hours short.
          What's this ?? , a 5th grader pissing competition ?
          We all know that in a simple half wave supply it's the same to put the diode "on top" and ground "the bottom" of the winding, or ground the diode and float the winding.
          The first option is more common, and by familiarity many (¿most?) find it "the correct one", but it's not so, both are electrically equivalent.
          And I can easily think of at least one case where "diode on bottom" , that's to say, grounded, is the "better" option, that being when we have a lot of current (as in a car alternator) and the metallic diode case is directly press fit into the metallic body which doubles as a heatsink. Yea, I know, not in this particular case.
          I also faintly remember some AM radio or TV receiver where the (germanium) diode was grounded and the rectified carrier (video or audio + AGC voltage) appeared on the other end of the "can", that being the last IF transformer .
          I'd love to see the next post by any of you guys being about any still unsolved problem posted somewhere else in this forum.
          A big hug for both of you.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hey JM,
            I think you're right about the coffee
            At first I thought this was kind of fun, but it gets boring after a while.

Well, back to the bench (more coffee...)

Peace,
            Albert

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Kreuzer View Post
              That sounds interesting. Could you please post a schematic?
              you want a schematic ? I'll tell you what. You negotiate to have sewatt and the gearpage refund me my donations after being kicked off, and I'll post one.

-g

Comment

Fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In logic and rhetoric, a fallacy is a misconception resulting from incorrect reasoning in argumentation. By accident or design, fallacies may exploit emotional triggers in the listener or interlocutor (e.g. appeal to emotion), or take advantage of social relationships between people (e.g. argument from authority). Fallacious arguments are often structured using rhetorical patterns that obscure the logical argument, making fallacies more difficult to diagnose. Also, the components of the fallacy may be spread out over separate arguments.
                Irrelevant Conclusion
                * Irrelevant Conclusion: diverts attention away from a fact in dispute rather than address it directly.
                o Special cases:
                + purely personal considerations (argumentum ad hominem),
                + popular sentiment (argumentum ad populum--appeal to the majority; appeal to loyalty.),
                + fear (argumentum ad baculum),
                + conventional propriety (argumentum ad verecundiam--appeal to authority)
                + to arouse pity for getting one's conclusion accepted (argumentum ad misericordiam)
                + proving the proposition under dispute without any certain proof (argumentum ad ignorantiam)
                o Also called Ignoratio Elenchi, a "red herring"
                Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

When exactly were you supposedly in the Navy, Gary? Seems like most of this stuff has been obsolete for decades.

R1051 B HF Radio Receiver
                  AN/URC-35 Transceiver
                  AN/WSC-3(V)9 UHF AM/ FM Radio Set
                  AN/FRT-39 5 KW HF transmitter
                  AN/FRT-40 10 KW HF transmitter
                  Collins Microwave
                  AN/FSC-78 Navy Satcom
                  AN/FSC-79 Navy Fleetbroadcast
                  AN/TSC-54 Army Satcom
                  DSAT Army Mobile Satcom
                  AN/USC-60A Navy Mobile Tactical Satcom
                  DSCS 3 AVE {Aerospace Vehicle Electronics}
                  DSCS 3 MTE {Maintenance Test Equipment}
                  30 GHz cyro cooled parametric amplifier
                  5 KW SHF Traveling Wave Tube power amplifier
                  10 KW SHF Klystron Tube power amplifier
                  400 Watt Solid State TWTA SHF power amplifier

Comment

Originally posted by Wombaticus View Post
                    When exactly were you supposedly in the Navy, Gary? Seems like most of this stuff has been obsolete for decades.
                    First enlistment : July 1976 to July 1982
                    Navy Reserves : MIUW 103 : 1997 thur 2001
                    : Harbor Defense Command 111 Forward Oct. 2003 to Oct 2004

There Is No Supposedly About It.. and the AN/USC-60A is not obsolete. Neither is the Space Craft we are launching from the Cape in 12 days...

-g

Comment

First enlistment : July 1976 to July 1982
                      Navy Reserves : MIUW 103 : 1997 thur 2001
                      : Harbor Defense Command 111 Forward Oct. 2003 to Oct 2004

There Is No Supposedly About It.. and the AN/USC-60A is not obsolete. Neither is the Space Craft we are launching from the Cape in 12 days...

-g
                      Atlas V shot, huh? In that case, I'm guessing you had something to do with the design of the original fuel feed-line valve control systems: Atlas V - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank god these are unmanned, is all I can say.

Comment

Atlas V shot, huh? In that case, I'm guessing you had something to do with the design of the original fuel feed-line valve control systems:
                        No. I did not..

Thank god these are unmanned, is all I can say.
                        Really ? You really have no idea who you're mouthing off to ? Do you ??

-g

Comment

umm this is a chat forum...no one has any idea who they are "mouthing off to"

just a <2 dimensional image compiled through the written word and the odd emoticon

no absolute truth here that I have found (or anywhere else!) so its best to laugh about stuff IMHO

Comment

I wonder why *anybody* keeps pouring gasoline into this fire.
                            *Please*, don't answer me, I really don't care, I am just thinking aloud.
                            Bye and have fun.
                            PS: the thread just by this one is *so* much more interesting.
                            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t20920/
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                            X