Electron path of travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
    Chuck, that is quite a good analogy. We all know that this electron stuff is hogwash, circuits really run off fire and smoke.
    On a similar analogy, I heard on the radio this morning that the internet is made of cats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      Maybe JM Fahey should write us an executive summary of the thread.
      I can do that. Electrons go round circuits but not the way you might think.

Comment

• Noes! Like our beloved amplifiers, the internet is a Series of tubes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

• Yep, the internet is made of tubes. LED-biased tubes in fact. And I invented it.

Comment

• I do know that all the energy that is here on earth is all the energy that was here on earth and is all the energy that will be here on earth.

Hate to burst your bubble, but nope. That big bright thing in the sky each day sends HUGE amounts of energy into the system that is this earth.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Hate to burst your bubble, but nope. That big bright thing in the sky each day sends HUGE amounts of energy into the system that is this earth.
              yes, conservation of energy only happens in an isolated system, i.e. the universe, or something like that.

Chuck, importantly, what size are the buckets?

Comment

• It seems like a lot of the confusion here both as regards the nature of electrons and the direction of current flow stems directly from a fundamental misunderstanding about the nature of a scientific theory.

A scientific theory is NOT the thing which it represents. It is an abstraction in our finite minds which allows us to usefully think about some underlying natural principal, with the goal of explaining observable phenomena.

In the case of electrons and current flow, we have here seen discussed theories which range from the crude to the rather more sophisticated. What they have in common is that all are able to explain at least some aspect of observable phenomena of interest to us. All are also probably insufficient to gain an absolute understanding of the underlying principals.

In the case of current flow, the water analogy amounts to a particularly crude, but nevertheless useful theory. Even the ever-convenient and useful notion of electrons, which imagines them to be little charged spheres ballistically blasting from the cathodes to the plates of our valves has been recognized to be inadequate for, what? About a hundred years? That doesn't mean it's not useful, but it *doesn't* mean it's a correct and consistent theory of electrons....

The theory is NOT the thing.

And theory is only as good as its ability to explain the thing. As Merlin has repeatedly pointed out, you can easily stretch your analogies too far.

Unfortunately, as the theories become more satisfactory in terms of overall predictive power, they tend to become less describable in terms of just-so analogies. As Merlin says, at some point, it's just calculus. And it is very hard to let go of a mistaken or incomplete theory (or even just an analogy) which DOES nevertheless explain a lot.

However, the history of science is more-or-less defined by a series of such rejections. Being a scientist, or even just a scientifically informed individual, turns out to require a certain degree of humility. Or maybe resignation.

Comment

• Mike, the buckets are exactly the size they should be... or smaller. Too large a bucket and the system fails. I find I get the best tone in the two to three gallon sizes. You can always put less water in them if you don't want to play as loud.

Enzo, Your right. I went all hippie there for a second. But it just adds to the analogy... The sun is the motive force for the energy here on earth much like the AC from the wall plug is the motive force for the energy an electronic device... This assuming that the energy is already there and we just motivate it, as has been suggested.

Alex, I'm glad to read that the internet is made of cats. I like cats.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• You guys just don't get it do you? None of this pertains to how valve amplifiers work. Everyone knows they run on mystique and mojo.
                    Jon Wilder
                    Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
                    I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
                    Originally posted by JoeM
                    I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wilder Amplification View Post
                      You guys just don't get it do you? None of this pertains to how valve amplifiers work. Everyone knows they run on mystique and mojo.
                      My rebuttle:

The Operational Amplifier used as an Amplifier with Sensors

I'm convinced. My "analogy" was actually REALITY!!! I'm anxious to try bigger buckets with the same amount of water in them as the smaller buckets. I think it will provide more headroom.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Well, my bucket's got a hole in it, it don;t work no more...

Well, I went upon a mountain, I looked down in the sea
                        I seen the crabs and the fishes doing the beebop beep

'Cause my bucket's got a hole in it,
                        yeah, my bucket's got a hole in it
                        Yeah, my bucket's got a hole in it,
                        I can't buy no beer

Yeah! My bucket's got a hole in it
                        I can't buy no beer

Well, I'm standing on the corner with a bucket in my hand
                        I'm a-waiting for a woman that ain't got no man
                        Cause my bucket's got a hole in it
                        Yeah, my bucket's got a hole in it,
                        I can't buy no beer
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          Alex, I'm glad to read that the internet is made of cats. I like cats.
                          I invented cats too.

Comment

• HEy. Quit kicking poor Al. When they decided to make ARPA-NET and the rest available to the public and create the internet, SOMEBODY had to sponsor the legislation, and Al was who.

Comment

• Nah, you'll be telling me next that Al Gore invented LED biasing.

Comment

• This is a very interesting topic which trem started. I like the different views, logic, understanding and arguments.

What this thread was based on though was a quote from MERLIN taken from a paragraph in his book. I did not read anything describing the context from which the quote was taken. Exactly to what was MERLIN making reference? I'm not going to buy MERLIN's book, so can someone share and explain.

Is MerlinB any relation to the magic MERLIN, the Valve Wizard, book man?
                                Great tone and melody is what I tune into.

Comment

Working...
                                X