No announcement yet.

high gain amp design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I'd mention- the Soldano schem posted above has a major error- the effect return triode and cathode follower are wired wrong- 100k resistor should be on the effect return triode, not the CF.

jamie

Comment

sorry, yes it'll be 4 gain stages, it may have been way back in one of the first posts...
      i agree with the effects send/return, and this is also being left out of the layout.
      i'll have to hunt down that book! thx

Comment

i wouldn't mosfet the send.

that first cathode follower is very important to the distortion of the amp.

Comment

forgive my lack of terminology, im getting some but still more to learn.
          are you talking about the 100k resistor between pins 6, 1, 7 of v3 on the avenger diagram?
          also i believe this diagram excluded the effects loop, would this paly any part, or nothing to do with it?

or are you talking about the 100k resistor attached to v3 pin8?
          should this be to pin 3 instead?
          Last edited by beinz; 12-29-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

for now, i am keeping this amp fairly simple, no effects loop, but i certainly want to do another build closer to the slo100 circuit with more channels and an effects loop, but with a better effects loop (obviously)

Comment

the sloclone forums has the avenger schematic.

there's a couple of changes to make up for the lack of crunch channel loading/current draw.

Comment

thanks, i'll have to get on there and see if i can hunt one down!

Comment

found! i'll have to take a look later tonight, thx for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by beinz View Post
                    found! i'll have to take a look later tonight, thx for the advice.
                    Download it, and Put it on here if you can.
                    Thnx,
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Avenger_Schematic_Power_Amp.gif
Views:	1
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	823795Click image for larger version

Name:	Avenger_Schematic_Power_Supply.gif
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	823796Click image for larger version

Name:	Avenger_Schematic_Preamp.gif
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	823797
                      im at "work" right now, havent had much time to review this yet today.

courtesy of memphiswillbelaidtowaste, and reposted by defaced at sloclone fourm!
                      thx.
                      Last edited by beinz; 12-30-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diagrammatiks View Post
                        i wouldn't mosfet the send.

that first cathode follower is very important to the distortion of the amp.
                        I completely agree-but I think the SLO circuit is problematic and much prefer the simpler adaptions like a Mesa Dual Rect circuit. I say set it up similar to the Mesa circuit and use a mosfet send after a pad and a single triode for recovery. This way you only need a total of four triodes.

jamie

Comment

ya it just changes the sound a little bit. not that big of a deal.

Comment

i just reviews the avenger schems i got my hands on, and i only see one possibility for error.
                            if i understand pre tubes, they are 2 triodes in 1 bottle.
                            so i could attach a component to pin 8 or 3 for example. you'll have to confirm this for me,
                            but if i assign pins 8, 7, 6 to be v1A, and 3, 2, 1 to be on the B side, do i have to keep that consistant between the rest of the pre tubes? all the A sides must be the same pins, all the B sides as well? if this is the case, then according to the schem i have, this layout diagram is backwards on v3 compared to v1, and v2. is this what you are talking about imaradiostar? otherwise it seems to jive with the schem...
                            the only discrepency i found is there is supposed to be a 220k res following the 330k res and 22n cap comming off of v2B before it connects to v3A.

Comment

I routinely ignore the A/B side of triodes and wire them to make the layout I'm using simple; consistency is not necessary. I have built an Avenger preamp off of those schems (note the name of the poster where you got those schematics ), so I would adjust your layout to match the schematic.
                              -Mike

Comment

Donīt entangle yourself with A and B which are just labels applied by you (not the tube manufacturer).
                                Point to remember is that pins 1/2/3 form one group, and 6/7/8 form another, do not mix elements from different groups.
                                Label them with any letter you fancy, donīt get carried away by it.

Edited: Typo
                                Last edited by J M Fahey; 12-30-2011, 03:58 PM.
                                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X