Universal high impedance reverb ckt design and pcb art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal high impedance reverb ckt design and pcb art

I designed and developed this ckt to be used in solid state and tube amps using only two transistors and a number of other parts, to be a cheap and easy to build and use ckt.

It will allow tube amp builders to use spring reverb units without having to use extra tubes or a matching/coupling transformer. It can be powered by using the 12volt dc filament voltage.
    Attached Files

Here is the schematic of the ckt

I use CircuitMaker 2000 and Quickroute 3.6 for schematic and layout
    Attached Files

Comment

I updated the schematic. This the final version

Updated schematic.
      Attached Files

Comment

Have you tested this circuit? A pn3566 looks to be rated 100mA @ 1V. That doesn't seem like enough to drive a reverb pan.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Have you tested this circuit? A pn3566 looks to be rated 100mA @ 1V. That doesn't seem like enough to drive a reverb pan.
          Yes Chuck, I used this circuit for forty three years. I recently stopped pref boarding the design and put it on a pcb.

I and Joseph Retinivia designed it in 1967. Least it to Teaselco that same year, to use in cheap Japanese guitar amps during that period.

The PN3566 is a stuff little bugger, that has 500ma of output current. If you cut out a half inch square of alco, and glued it on he back, you can get 1 amp out of it. And it is very high gain.

Check out the PDF
          Attached Files

Comment

The right schematic with updates

Sorry for the error
            Attached Files

Comment

Huh... I must have accidentally looked at the wrong spec sheet then. And thank you for sharing.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Dear ivey, thanks for sharing.
                Please delete earlier wrong schematics, it may be confusing.
                And Rev14.pdf still does not match the PCB.
                On the PCB R2 goes to Q1's collector (which I think is right), on the schematic it goes straight to +24V.
                Recheck it and post the final version.
                And that transistor isn't asked to pass more than around 20mA anyway.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I didn't diagnose the circuit as you did JM. So how do we get good tank drive from 20mA @ some low voltage?

Comment

I didn't build this one, but it should work with high impedance tanks. The design looks reasonable.
                    There were similar circuits in the old days and they worked, one example is Traynor SS PA heads.
                    No Twin Reverb class, but then nobody else is
                    Anyway the ubiquitous TL072/LM1458 used by everybody and his brother does not (easily) supply much more than around 6mA, that's why many parallel 2 or 3 of them.
                    A few wise guys use NE553x which are beefier.
                    PHATT (Philip Abbott of Nambour, Australia), a cool fellow at SSGuitar has designed and built a killer reverb circuit, with an OpAmp driving a couple TO220 complementary transistors and feeding them around 45V (or was it +/-45V?).
                    Talk about strong, clean reverb !!
                    But to each his own, this simple reverb circuit is easier to build and debug by a regular guitar player with *some* building experience.

EDIT: where did I get the 20mA number from?: 680 ohms load with around 12V dc across it gives about that.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Along those lines, the internal reverb circuit from the old Thomas Vox amplifiers used what amounts to a discrete power amp with the same complementary transistors for outputs for driving its reverb. Works, reliable, deep reverb. It ran on 28Vdc, but like all feedback circuits, was kind of immune to power supply levels as long as it survives.

Craig Anderton designed a very good sounding reverb driver/recovery setup using a packaged power amp chip, LM2877 (?) or similar in 14 pin DIP. I think it can be found by searching "Stage Center Reverb".

And many older reverbs simply drove the tank with a tap off of the speaker output.
                      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

O.K. guys I will delete/remove the incorrect schematics . Thank you for your support. It helps a great deal

Comment

Working...
                        X