No announcement yet.

Bias supply and tonal affects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you know SGM has gone? Was there some sort implosion or simply absence?

Comment

Originally posted by walkman View Post
      g-one seems to have garnered more specific info about SGM's current circumstances. All we know about him here is that he came in swinging (as noted), took some heat from us here and there and then went away. One member here did trouble to identify the person that is SGM for the purposes of discrediting him. With this information, this member also looked up his license to practice electronics. That license expired about the same time that SGM stopped posting here. This raised some questions. As much as we didn't enjoy his "advice" he had become a novelty here to some of us. No one wants to see the floor drop out from under anyone.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I occasionally enjoyed his exchanges... while I am not at a technical level to argue with him, I often agreed with his opinions on buying quality gear and avoiding non-quality gear. I was violently opposed to the manner in which he made his opinions known! Telling a teenager or beginner to bias ther Crate-Peg with a pickaxe is NOT the way to encourage beginners to move up in the gear world! Not every teenager HAS $2000 for a tweed Bassman or whatever "quality" amp you may think is good. And I would venture a guess that anyone playing through cheap amps already knows it's a cheap amp and either 1. Doesn't care, or 2. Already aspires to a great amp, but can't afford t. What they DO need is help fixing their Frontman 212R so they can make their $75 bucks or whatever about 15 times. Whad'ya know, that cheap Chinese amp just earned them an old Pro Reverb.

Funny enough, most beginners who are given a great old tube amp to play thru as a first amp I see them sell it or trade it in for a Whiz-Bangotron with distortion & all the cool effects... if you don't start at the bottom, you never realize what you had to begin with... The sad part is, they end up paying double for the crap amp but still get way less than their amp is worth. Like the woman who asked me to get her $200 for her 66 Princeton Reverb... I just couldn't do it!

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I fully understand some of the more technically savvy members position on SGM. Your observation that he did have some valid convictions is correct. In his favor I'll also note that there were a few occasions where, with what would seem like very little information to the rest of us, he was able to predict very well what was required to fix a Mesa product. He seemed to know many of those models very well. He also seemed to dislike them openly in the face of those who owned them. He was a little soft on social skills

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I know his type, he's a sample of one guy. If he ever sees any particular thing wrong, he assumes that is always what is wrong. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but it isn;t something one should rely on.

The whole Crate thing: he/they had some Crate amp he couldn't fix, so they sent it off to "Crate". It came back not right. So obviously then Crate amps cannot be fixed, and if you fix part of one, something else will break. All because it happened to him once.

I'll believe he has been around amps a while, and may even know a trick or two. But he demonstrated in ample fashion that he didn;t understand the circuits.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              II'll believe he has been around amps a while, and may even know a trick or two. But he demonstrated in ample fashion that he didn;t understand the circuits.
              Sadly, nor did he have any people skills.

Comment

Originally posted by walkman View Post
                Absence. And there is no way he would have left on his own accord. So that left either something catastrophic or removal from the forum. I've confirmed he's still among the typing, so someone here must have put the hammer down.

Edit: Thinking through a bit more, I realize he quit posting on several forums all around the same time. This makes it doubtful that he was barred or in any way removed from the forum. To the best of my knowledge that has never happened to anyone here.
                Last edited by g1; 10-08-2014, 06:28 PM.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                  Sadly, nor did he have any people skills.
                  But he did call me a genius!

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                  See, eschertron is the ultimate genius of all electronics...
                  but he wants to know about "sound."
                  ...or maybe he was being sarcastic and this was one of his famous unprovoked attacks.
                  If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                  If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                  We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                  MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Scuba Diving off of Hawaii maybe?

Comment

More likely Schick Shadel!!! Anyone else here notice his behavior became more erratic right before his disappearance? And it coincides with low voltage license expiration too. Like his life just $h!t the bed all at once. I'm thinking rock bottom or rehab.

Comment

Scuba sounds about right. Why don't the sharks attack? Professional courtesy.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                          Scuba sounds about right. Why don't the sharks attack? Professional courtesy.
                          Sharks don't eat clowns because they taste funny.

Comment

Daaaaaaammnnnnn, SGM's wearin' clown shoes.

Someone should reach out to him and see what's up. I bet something like this would happen, but probably much more crude and with more of a "kiss my ass" tone

Comment

FWIW just last Saturday, October 4th, he was at the Mesa Forum bashing "all other" Techs, which by definition are dumb.

Enjoy:
                              I have seen this on several 400+ amps...you are not alone on this.

A normal "bench test" does not detect the problem. It will test normal.

Which is WHY most repair efforts will fail. The problem comes back again.

When techs claim that this problem is "fixed," typically the real problem is NOT fixed.

That's WHY most techs can't detect it, or fix it.
                              sprocket wrote:
                              Got it fixed mate ! Free bump if not .
                              SGM wrote:
                              It's probably not really fixed.
                              Alive and kicking and with the batteries fully charged

Maybe he's right.
                              Personally I feel quite depressed, will junk my tools and take a course at the local Job/Employment ofice about flipping burgers ... they say it's a nice career and holds a better future than trying to service amps which will break again very soon .... or are impossible to fix by definition.

Or simply watch a few Bob Sponge Squarepants cartoons, might help
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                                FWIW just last Saturday, October 4th, he was at the Mesa Forum bashing "all other" Techs
                                Oh dear. He hadn't been there since Feb. (or anywhere else near as I can tell).
                                My spider sense is tingling. I hope our "anti-virus" is up to snuff.
                                Originally posted by Enzo
                                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                                X