Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does expensive output transformer sounds better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That seems strange to me?
    I've used Classictone PTs and OTs, and always lots of bang for the buck.
    Granger Amps uses Classictone in all of his amps, they always sound good to me.
    The only issues I've seen with the ClassicTone PTs, is they all seem to have High HT voltage.
    So plan accordingly.

Last edited by big_teee; 06-19-2014, 04:58 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
      The first vendor to sell silver mica at my request was New Sensor.
      Then CED followed, now pretty much every supplier sells them.
      And Marshall started using them in production amps...
      instead of the usual ceramic disk caps.

It was my crying about the noise from ceramic disk caps that triggered this.
      So blame me.

Up until I did that, pretty much all silver micas were used for radio transmitters.
      Nobody used them in guitar amps.

Not because I'm marvelous, but because I wanted to get rid of the noise caused by crap capacitors.

And many said that ceramic disks were not causing noise.
      You were wrong about that.
      This is interesting to me because my Silvertone 1484 which sounds awesome is chock full of silver mica caps, almost everything is SM and I was wondering if that had anything to do with the tone it has

Comment

When we are doing a design and new build as destinct from a clone we have the option of using whatever output trannies we want.
        I have found that medium quality HiFi Output Trannies always give me great results.
        An example???
        I use these for ALL my EL84 and 6V6 builds.
        86PP output transformer
        The 10K primary works better than the "traditional" 8K primary with the higher B+ voltages found in most guitar amps. On the latest 6V6 I added switched Ultralinear/Pentode Mode. Players are split about 50:50 as to wether they like the raw pentode mode or the slightly tighter Ultralinear Mode. The guys who used the high gain preamp channel tended to be the ones who liked the tighter Ultralinear connected Output stage.

I also used this tranny on a 2 off ECL86 (6GW8) + 1 off 12AX7, 6CA4 rectifier, ORANGE "Tiny Terror" copy (which I called an "Anklebiter", what is smaller than a "Tiny Terror"?). The first guy I demonstrated it too, bought it on the spot.

Cheers,
        Ian

Comment

To return to the subject in hand...

I had a pair of old Danelectro Centurians in a while back. 15W P/P 6V6 amps from the mid 60s with the classic hardboard and gaffer tape reverb.

One of them sounded amazing. Every guitarist who tried it loved it. Sweet and rich with early but very progressive break up. The other one didn't.

The good sounding one had had the original O/P transformer replaced with something tiny that looked like it was probably good for about 6W.

But like someone said. "Which is the best ice cream flavour"

Comment

Working...
          X