Banana Jack Amp Kit - No-solder Amplifier Kit on Kickstarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Gerry, yes, once it is enclosed, the exposure problems are moot. My concern is for the kid who gets just the kit, and has it on his table in front of him, it works. Now he decides to explore...
    Just like the kid who buys a Mojotone or MOD or Weber kit may decide to explore. What's the difference, except that our kit is both easier and safer at that point in construction process? Here are both kits, working and ready for exploration...

Click image for larger version

Name:	apples to apples chassis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	835427

Unplug ours, wait 3 seconds, and it's safe. Unplug theirs and you still have to manually discharge the caps; then it's safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerry Rzeppa View Post
      Just like the kid who buys a Mojotone or MOD or Weber kit may decide to explore. What's the difference, except that our kit is both easier and safer at that point in construction process? Here are both kits, working and ready for exploration...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30680[/ATTACH]

Unplug ours, wait 3 seconds, and it's safe. Unplug theirs and you still have to manually discharge the caps; then it's safe.
      I thought that at first, but after reading way too many of these Posts?
      The Difference is you are targeting KIDS!
      The mojo kits, only attract your more serious DIYers, whom I presume are older.
      The Other difference is Mojo is not asking for Money or Funding!
      YOU ARE!
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Merlinb View Post
        As an end product you're right, they're equally dangerous. But your product is sold ready to plug-and-play straight away, whereas the other kit had to be built up from individually harmless parts. The user created his own hazards with the conventional kit, whereas you have created the hazards of your product.
        Sorry, don't see it. Mojotone gives me a transformer with a handful of loose wires; I connect them to other parts of the amp. Banana Jack gives me a transformer with a handful of loose wires; I connect them to other parts of the amp. The only difference is that it's easier to make the connections with the Banana Jack kit. And there's no danger of burning yourself on a hot iron.

If the folks at Mojotone made every connection on their amp a miniature banana jack (or some kind of breadboard-like just-stick-the-wire-in-here-connection) instead of a solder joint, would you say that the Mojotone kit had suddenly become unsafe?

Comment

• Originally posted by John_H View Post
          If you want this thread to go away, quit posting in it. It will eventually work it's way to the bottom.

@Gerry, You pleaded your case, and received no support whatsoever. Why not just go away and avoid further ridicule?
          Amen......unsubscribed!

If nobody pays attention to the crying baby, the baby eventually stops crying.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

• I quit this thread twice, but it never went away.
            I quit again!
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

@Gerry, You pleaded your case, and received no support whatsoever. Why not just go away and avoid further ridicule?
              Because sometimes persistence pays off. Here, for example, is a quote from a similar thread on another forum, nine pages into the thing (highlight mine):

"I held out as long as I could. Roll Eyes With the proper written cautions, I see nothing wrong with this. I started off on the safety side of this debate, then I realized I could browse the internet or catalog and easily get myself into much more trouble quite easily. I'm all for safety but at some point you gotta let stupid fix itself or we won't be able to do so much as build a 9V pedal without someone worrying a toddler will try to eat the knobs then there will be the no removable knobs law governed under some class X government rule requiring 2000.00 in testing to verify the knobs don't come off at an inopportune time. I also think we are potentially conflating DIY with Production.

Soon, I can no longer buy and play with Bucky Balls

Buckyballs Magnets Have Been Banned by the Feds (Updated)

...because some irresponsible parent let their kids eat them, give me a break. Make sure the proper warnings exist and be done with it. The risks are the risks, if the seller is willing to make them known, and take them, it shouldn't be a problem."
              If I had given up on page eight that never would have been posted. Maybe somebody here will also "see the light". Or maybe some of the non-contributing readers will simply be prompted to think about these issue in a different light. Or maybe somebody will make a point that changes my mind about the matter; I've already updated the Kickstarter to include a fully enclosed version of the amp; who knows what could be next?

In any case, the whole affair is voluntary; anyone who doesn't like the thread doesn't have to participate -- or even read it -- and, as you've said, it will slide into oblivion all on it's own.

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                I quit this thread twice, but it never went away.
                I quit again!
                T
                Me Three.

Comment

• Originally posted by Merlinb View Post
                  But if you think an accident leading to litigation is unlikely then you don't have to change your design (unless you feel morally obliged to, if nothing else).
                  Hm, letsee, has no "need" for insurance, no respect for high voltage, already been thru bankruptcy, knows how to play the game. With OPM, Other Peoples Money. When the spit hits the fan, litigation target has no assets, nothing can be lost. Verrrrry clever. Too bad world, I win. On to the next silly game, la la la la la . . . . .
                  Attached Files
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thank you for trying to fix the internet.
                    If you want this thread to go away, quit posting in it. It will eventually work it's way to the bottom.

Ah !!! but such statements make him want more of it !!!

I bet he's here in 10 minutes writing something.

EDIT
                    Oooops !!!! I was WRONG !!!!!!

It took him NINE minutes to appear
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                      Hm, letsee, has no "need" for insurance...
                      Except as required by law.

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                      ...no respect for high voltage...
                      False. I'd be dead if I had no respect for high voltage.

...already been thru bankruptcy...
                      Only once. Not unusual for an inventor who has been self-employed for decades.

...knows how to play the game...
                      Some games, sure. Others, not so much.

...With OPM, Other Peoples Money...
                      False. This is actually my first project that wasn't on my own dime. And I have yet to receive any Kickstarter money.

...When the spit hits the fan, litigation target has no assets, nothing can be lost. Verrrrry clever. Too bad world, I win. On to the next silly game, la la la la la . . . . .
                      I wouldn't say "no assets". And Banana Jack Amps is a sole proprietorship so I am personally liable.

Don't see why you need to mount personal attacks against me, Leo. The only point I'm trying to make here is that the kit on left, below, is every bit as safe as the kit on the right. In fact, at the chassis level, it seems to me that the Banana Jack kit is much safer than the Mojotone Bassman.

Top Left: An assembled Banana Jack chassis, ready for testing, further mods, etc.

Top Right: An assembled Mojotone Bassman chassis, ready for testing, further mods, etc.

Bottom Left: A Banana Jack chassis installed in a user-designed cabinet.

Bottom Right: A Mojotone Bassman chassis, installed in a user-designed cabinet.

Comment

• I'll be glad when this horse shit goes away and we get back to discussing the real issues most of us are really here for.
                        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

• This horse shit thread will go away only when this horse shit salesman stops peddling horse shit .... which won't happen in the next 10 years or so.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Post after post with members saying"Oh when will we stop talking about this?" The shit stops when you stop posting. I have stopped contributing posts to this thread (other than this one) ANyone concerned, hey... walk away.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sorry, don't see it. Mojotone gives me a transformer with a handful of loose wires; I connect them to other parts of the amp. Banana Jack gives me a transformer with a handful of loose wires; I connect them to other parts of the amp. The only difference is that it's easier to make the connections with the Banana Jack kit. And there's no danger of burning yourself on a hot iron.
                              As I said, once the Mojotone kit has been built up, it is roughly equally dangerous as your kit as sold, so you're right there.
                              The question is responsibility. The guy who created the hazard is responsible for the hazard. In the Mojotone case, it's the user and not Mojotone who is responsible. In your case, it's you who is responsible, because you put it together into its usable form.

Comment

The recording (which I made on a laptop computer with the built-in mike) doesn't do it justice. It sounds much better in person. But see the review of one of my other creations (in blue, a post or two above this one) -- I know good sound when I hear it.
                                So you put up a clip to show how good your amp sounds, then blame the cheese sound on the amateur production, and then basically say, "trust me, I know".

It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
                                X