No announcement yet.

Strange new vibrato circuit in DR Reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Steve, I also swapped the lousy filter caps for some F&Ts, which reduced noise and hum quite a bit. The original first filter stage with 220uF/100V(C31) in series with 47uF/500V(C32) plus 100K/470K bleeders is quite weird. Using two 100µf/350V caps in series for a value of 50µf total with two 220K bleeders seems to me much better.

Comment

Is there a schematic for this version of the amp?

Is there a reason to remove the grid stoppers- are the grid stoppers causing a problem, or is it just a nostalgia thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
        I took the liberty of converting your post into a PDF file that I attached here so that people here can download it. Let me know if there are any edits that you would like.
        Ok, Steve. Your page is great.
        Thank you!

Comment

Thank You!

Here is a summary of the mods on my 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb:
          All dB values was measured with an iPhone 6 running Audio tools SPL Pro, placed on top of the reverb tank (A Weigthed).
          Problem 2 and 3 measured with all controls set down to 1.

Problem 1: Terrible hum when reverb is turned up.
          Solution: Turned the reverb tank 180 degrees. The output side must be at the right, away from the transformers (seen from the back).
          Result:
          Clearer reverb with reduced noise.
          At max reverb, amp noise is reduced by 5.5 dB!

Problem 2: Lots of noise when tremolo intensity is turned up.
          From min to max intensity the noise level is raised by 11 dB!
          Solution: Removed the ROHS tremolo circuit. Installed an optocoupler from TAD (FVIB Vibrato LDR for Fender).
          Result:
          No added noise at max intensity. Tremolo good.
          Amp noise reduced with 2 dB.

Problem 3: Still some noise.
          Solution: Removed the seven 10K grid resistors from V1,V2, V4 (pin 2 and 7) and V3 pin 7.
          Result:
          Amp noise reduced with 4.5 dB!

Total amp noise reduction after the ROHS tremolo and grid resistors removal is 6.5 dB!

Extra mod. 65/68 feedback Switch.
          Replaced the never used ext speaker jack with a switch, who adds one 1.8K resistor in parallel with the 1.5K feedback resistor.
          In 65 setting the amp noise is reduced with 1dB, and the amp is more tight/clean.
          I prefer the 68 sound

Bias current 27 mA, not changed.

Regards.
          Last edited by Hal9999; 09-30-2015, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X