No announcement yet.

Maximum capacitance on rectifier tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum capacitance on rectifier tube?

What is the maximum capacitance that I should use for a 5u4GB rectifier tube in a two 6L6GC output tube circuit?

I am recapping an old Fender Bantam Bass amp (trapezoid foam speaker and all). The schematic says two 70uf 350v in series for the B+. I just ordered two 100uf 350v capacitors and am second guessing whether I should have ordered two 80uf 450v capacitors.
    Attached Files

Data sheet says 40uF max. Though I know some circuits exceed this (47uF). I think you'll be fine with your 100uFs in series (gives you 50uF nominal).
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

I have done extensive testing with various rectifiers as to input caps.You can go way over the tube manual specs.I have one amp with a 5R4 rectifier that specifies 20uf max.I have had it working with 80uf input,my sons been gigging it for about 10 yrs, no problem.My other sons amp has a 5U4 with 100uf input cap same results.You'll be fine with the 50 uf you have

Comment

The data sheet in RCA Receiving Tube Manual RC28 says you can exceed 40uF as long as you don't exceed the 1 Amp peak per plate current rating.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
        X