Tweeter level (potmeter) with Monacor DNH-185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeter level (potmeter) with Monacor DNH-185

Hello! I have a Ampeg BA115HP. The tweeter has a filter which has a tweeter level switch (3 pole potmeter). I would like to upgrade the tweeter with an Eminence APT 80. I was also recommended to upgrade the filter to a Monacor DNH-185. How do I connect the tweeter level switch in connection with this filter?

Here is the preamp schematic.
    Do you have any documentation on the Monacor filter?
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is the Monacor filter schematic:
      https://www.sonipron.com/server/Port...5_27290523.jpg

And here is the original filter (which already has connections for the potmeter I am trying to use:
      https://ampeg.com/support/files/Sche.../777SCH_V3.pdf

The tweeter is piggy-backed on the 15" speaker output, so the signal to the filter is dependent on the equalizer on the amp (there is no separate/dry signal for the tweeter).

There is probably a "common" way to connect a potmeter to limit the filter output, but I don't know how.
      The original tweeter potmeter has markings (-dB) on the dial. Ranging from infinity, 16, 15, 14 and so on... down to 0 (which is full output on the tweeter).
      I measured the three potmeter cables:
      RED+BLACK: 0.01ohm@infinity, 20ohm@half turn(4), 40ohm@0.5, open/no connection@0.
      BLUE+BLACK: 7.8ohm@infinity, 24ohm@half turn(4), 40ohm@0.5, open/no connection@0.
      BLUE+RED: 7.8ohm@infinity, 4ohm@half turn(4), 0.5ohm@0.5, 0ohm@0.
      From the original ampeg filter schematics, it seems RED is J8, BLACK is J7 (ground) and BLUE is J6.

Any idea on how I incorporate the potmeter in the Monacor schematic? I am designing a Monacor clone PCB with the horn potmeter connections as a Christmas gift for my father.
      Last edited by okw; 11-27-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Any faith in this circuit?
        I have duplicated the Monacor and tried to incorporate the Ampeg level potmeter connectors from the original Ampeg filter schematic . The connector J6 is a proprietary Ampeg connector, and will bring the signal in and out. The J1, J4 and J5 spade terminals with ATT_xxx is for the potmeter. If the filter is used with other amps than Ampeg, the spade terminals will function as signal in / out instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 20.21.36.png
Views:	171
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	919235

Comment

I don't know but I suspect the potentiometer you have is really an L-pad. And really, all there is to that is wiring it in between crossover and tweeter per common L-pad wiring. On teh Ampeg crossover, they wired it within the crossover board, but it could just as easily be wired between board and tweeter.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You're correct. It's an AT-50H L-8ohm. I didn't know about L-pads until now

Comment

Working...
            X