No announcement yet.

Against “mechanical connection”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and carrying high voltage doesn't matter regarding reliability of solder joints (very high currents >> 10A would be a different story).

Solder joints of PTP wired and chassis mounted power tube sockets hardly ever fail. Quite the contrary to board mounted sockets
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thomas organs used just wire wrap no solder.
      nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
        Thomas organs used just wire wrap no solder.
        nosaj
        I was trying not to mention... but since you have done so, add Soundcraftsmen gear. Remember those graphic EQ's popular in the 1970's? Them. They made power amps too, all done up with wire wrap connections. Maybe other hi fi components too. Talk about planned obsolescence, oy! When attempting to repair, I never knew whether I was looking at some wrapped connection that had corroded into oblivion, a stiff solid-core wire that had cracked, or something else that had gone kaput. Let's put it this way, on those rare occasions someone offers their Soundcraftsmen gear to fix, I politely but firmly decline. Recently I had a go at an AIWA stereo receiver from about 1990, cram jammed with wire wrap. Same thing, it wound up in the trash can.

I'll bet wire-wrap Thomas organs are just a breeze to fix, right?

If I'm not mistaken the wire wrap technique was developed for computer construction, late 60's or so. Super thin kynar-insulated wires, 30 gauge IIRC. I s'pose it was good for the time. The wire wrap technique was touted to be perfectly reliable and much faster (cheaper) to construct compared to soldered connections. But those old computers are way long obsolete aren't they. I'm sure that's best for one and all.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

I was trying not to mention... but since you have done so, add Soundcraftsmen gear. Remember those graphic EQ's popular in the 1970's? Them. They made power amps too, all done up with wire wrap connections. Maybe other hi fi components too. Talk about planned obsolescence, oy! When attempting to repair, I never knew whether I was looking at some wrapped connection that had corroded into oblivion, a stiff solid-core wire that had cracked, or something else that had gone kaput. Let's put it this way, on those rare occasions someone offers their Soundcraftsmen gear to fix, I politely but firmly decline. Recently I had a go at an AIWA stereo receiver from about 1990, cram jammed with wire wrap. Same thing, it wound up in the trash can.

I'll bet wire-wrap Thomas organs are just a breeze to fix, right?

If I'm not mistaken the wire wrap technique was developed for computer construction, late 60's or so. Super thin kynar-insulated wires, 30 gauge IIRC. I s'pose it was good for the time. The wire wrap technique was touted to be perfectly reliable and much faster (cheaper) to construct compared to soldered connections. But those old computers are way long obsolete aren't they. I'm sure that's best for one and all.
          Its a well know fact I'm an organ harvester I just don't sell on the black market. Organs give me plenty of parts to tinker with and a look into the past of how things were done.
          nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Wire wrap required tension and sharp edged terminal pins.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I have seen TV seets wired with wire wrap.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X