CCS explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCS explained

Hello. Complete newbie regard CCS. Found this schematic on internet .May someone explain how it works (for ignorants) ? and how can be adjusted in respect with negative supply voltage and constant current please ? I.m tempted to adapt this to a -100v negative source to assure 2 mA constant current to 12ax7 cathodes. Thanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230115_193012.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	976404
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 01-15-2023, 05:42 PM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

The R8,R10 potential divider sets 23V across R10, subtracting 1V for the Vbe of Q1 puts 22V across R12 (2k2) which defines a current of 10mA for Q1 emitter and collector (ignoring the small base current). 10mA is 5mA for each half of V1. 5ma across R9 is a voltage drop of 5 x 39 = 195V. B+ is 335V, 335V - 195V gives a plate voltage of 140V
    Last edited by Dave H; 01-15-2023, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
      The R8,R10 potential divider sets 23V across R10, subtracting 1V for the Vbe of Q1 puts 22V across R12 (2k2) which defines a current of 10mA for Q1 emitter and collector (ignoring the small base current)
      Ok. I got it. Thank you. How the values of R8, R10 divider was choosed, arbitrary ? Do we need a certain current to pass through negative supply - R10 - R8 string please ?
      Last edited by catalin gramada; 01-15-2023, 06:27 PM.
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post

Ok. I got it. Thank you. How the values of R8, R10 was choosed, arbitrary ?
        They must have run out of 10k

I'd chose the value so that the potential divider current is large compared to Q1 base current.

Comment

Q1 base current meant the current settled by R 12 right ? Well, large meant at what order at magnitude minimal , optimal ? 10x maybe ...?

Comment

So, with same -45v supply, for instance if choose R10- 1.5k R8-15k and set same current by R12- 4k I will get same result, the ccs it will work as same please ? Why -23v into the base was set and not -10v or -40v please ?
            Last edited by catalin gramada; 01-15-2023, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Does it was settled voltage into the middle (at-23v) with a reason ? It.s like a bias set adjustment please ?

Comment

There is an other picture with similar ccs but with R12 tied to the ground instead minus supply rail, like in previous sample Click image for larger version

Name:	20230115_222801.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	976434 . I.m completly confused. May someone enlighten me please ? Thanks.

Comment

There is an other picture with similar ccs but with R12 tied to the ground instead minus supply rail, like in previous sample Click image for larger version

Name:	20230115_222801.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	976434 . I.m completly confused. May someone enlighten me please ? Thanks.
                  This one is a drawing error. The bottom of R12 is shown connected to ground. That can't be right. It should be connected to the bottom of C3.
                  “If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.”
                  -Alan K. Simpson, U.S. Senator, Wyoming, 1979-97

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

https://sites.google.com/site/stringsandfrets/

Comment

The schematic in post #8 doesn't look like it would work to me. I suspect a mistake in the drawing.

Here is a slightly different current source that uses two transistors from a Fender Super Sonic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SuperSonic_PI_5.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	976453
                    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but what is "CCS"?

Comment

CCS means "constant current source".
                        The term is used for a circuit that provides a very large AC impedance while dropping only moderate DCV.

In our example here it is used to improve the balance/symmetry of the differential amp (long tailed pair phase inverter).
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Q1 base current meant the current settled by R 12 right ? Well, large meant at what order at magnitude minimal , optimal ? 10x maybe ...?
                          Yes, an order of magnitude (or more). The current set by R12 is the emitter current. The base current is emitter current divided by transistor current gain (100 say) i.e 10mA / 100 = 0.1mA. Potential divider current is 45V / 16.4k = 2.7mA which is 27 x the base current.

Comment

Wost case assumption would be the transistor having the minimum Hfe of 30, resulting in a current ratio of 9.

https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/mje340-d.pdf
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

So, with same -45v supply, for instance if choose R10- 1.5k R8-15k and set same current by R12- 4k I will get same result, the ccs it will work as same please ? Why -23v into the base was set and not -10v or -40v please ?
                              I think you have the resistor values reversed. Make R10 15k and R8 1k5 then it should work. Why not 23V ?

Comment

Working...
                              X