No announcement yet.

Tweed Vibrolux 5E11 vs 5F11 Fuse Rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, line voltage can vary quite substantially.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Also, line voltage can vary quite substantially.
      Where I am now it's pretty consistent. But in San Jose, Ca. where I lived sixteen years ago the wall voltage would vary between 117 and 129 all the time. I had test points on the power supply for my bench with a cheapy meter permanently attached so I could just flip it on to check the voltage whenever a measurement was dependent on it.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        ...in San Jose, Ca. where I lived sixteen years ago the wall voltage would vary between 117 and 129 all the time...
        That's pretty extreme. Coincidentally I just tested the line voltage at my bench by running a DVM with a Min/Max function run for four days. The results were

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	105
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	989689​Note that the meter calculates the average as the weighted value of all 1,993,497 samples taken. That's why it differs from a simple calculation done with the min and max numbers.

Comment

within 10%. That's normal.
          If it's 20%....
          You are "drying your oars".
          (Jargon for things being bad)

Comment

Originally posted by x-pro View Post
            "drying your oars"
            Expressions from other cultures usually seem strange (regardless of where to where) but I like this one.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
              That's pretty extreme.
              Yes it is. I knew it then too. Infrastructure for a lot of San Jose never took into account the unbelievable population increases that happened (and continue to). These fluctuation usually happened in the summer when tens of thousands of multi unit dwellings would fire up window mount air conditioners at their whimsy and Pacific Gass and Electric would be making adjustments to the requirement. .

Comment

Of course, line voltage can vary from time to time in the same location. But, what I was mostly referring to was line voltage varying from place to place or venue to venue. We have Furman line conditioners with mains voltage readout on much of our gear. I've seen line voltage over 125V in some venues and as low as 110 in others. I imagine even more radical swings are possible depending on load variance.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The assertion that all voltages can vary ± 20% troubles me. This can be true for preamp tube's plate and cathode voltages, because the resistors connected to these pins had usually tolerance of ± 20%, thus causing that much voltage variation.

OTH, if you apply the same variation range to the B+ of 305VDC, means the amp is supposed to operate from 366 to 244VDC… I don't buy it, it's too extreme…

For this to happen, the PT secondary winding needs to vary ± 20% or the outlet voltage needs to vary that much also… It doesn't seem plausible to me…

Using The Dude's example, 125 to 110 would be approx. ± 7% voltage variation from mid-point...
                  Last edited by K Teacher; 12-08-2023, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K Teacher View Post
                    [FONT=Arial]
                    OTH, if you apply the same variation range to the B+ of 305VDC, means the amp is supposed to operate from 366 to 244VDC… I don't buy it, it's too extreme…
                    Do you have any evidence that the amp won't work up to +/- 20% variation in B+?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It's printed right on the Fender schematics for a reason. It means voltages can vary up to that much. I don't think it would be practical for them to figure out the tolerance for every possible voltage, so they give a worst case scenario.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                        It's printed right on the Fender schematics for a reason. It means voltages can vary up to that much. I don't think it would be practical for them to figure out the tolerance for every possible voltage, so they give a worst case scenario.
                        Agree. It's worse case considering all factors including line voltage variation, transformer variation and component variation. I have seen some very large variations and some of the largest were due to power transformer variations.

Comment

Originally posted by K Teacher View Post
                          The assertion that all voltages can vary ± 20% troubles me. This can be true for preamp tube's plate and cathode voltages, because the resistors connected to these pins had usually tolerance of ± 20%, thus causing that much voltage variation. ...;
                          I agree, it doesn’t seem credible to me that a serious manufacturer would accept transformers with a 20% tolerance on their secondary winding voltages. Obviously it would pretty much be a problem with the heater circuits.
                          So yes, my thinking is that degree of acceptable variance can only really apply to downstream voltages, where normal valve variance means current draws through dropper and load resistances will affect resulting voltages.
                          Also it allows a fair degree of wiggle room if transformer specs are changed, for whatever reason, avoiding a need to amend the schematic.
                          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                            ... avoiding a need to amend the schematic.
                            Yea. There's that. However, I think Fender was a lot better at providing pretty accurate schematics than other early guitar amp companies such as Gibson.
                            Last edited by Tom Phillips; 12-09-2023, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X