No announcement yet.

Caps and a Blackface AB763 Bandmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't let my son play an amp with no three prong cord or other sources of danger.
    I would tell him: Son, I love this amp, but I love you more.
    This is no more a discussion if the amp should be serviced or not.
    "IF" the amp fails, and this might be with no prior warning, someone could be seriously harmed.
    If it's you or your son or whoever, you might regret it for the rest of your life not to have the amp serviced properly.

Comment

One of my first experiences playing with a band (about 40 years ago), was getting shocked while doing some background vocals. Got too close to the mic and it zapped me - the amp was a BF Bandmaster exactly like the one you have.

There's no good reason NOT to have the cord replaced.
      Last edited by JoeM; 07-10-2010, 12:10 AM.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Just to be clear about something...

Leo Fender was out for himself. If he had installed three prong cords on those amps, so players couldn't plug them in anywhere as the vast majority of wall plugs at the time were two prong, how many amps do you think he would have sold. That was a silly point to make as I'm sure you know. If that's your opening argument for not changing the power cord it's pretty weak.

All those companies selling lead based paint and asbestos lined oven mitts weren't out to get you either. That's just where technology was at the time. If your son were a painter and his boss wanted him to sand old lead based paint all day without a mask you'd come unglued (or you should anyway). So why let him play through a piece of gear with a substandard design that risks ELECTROCUTING HIM. This is a safety upgrade that won't effect the tone one bit. That moots your "leave it alone, it sounds great" argument right there. Even if you are cheap, lazy, irresponsible or broke there is still a moral issue here since your child plays the amp.

*NOTE: I didn't actually call you CHEAP, IRRESPONSIBLE, LAZY or BROKE.

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The death cap was removed, 3 prong plug placed on the amp, but original caps remain, and they're sounding great. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
          X