Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, should I get this bassman?! SO WORRIED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't get buyer's remorse. You got the better of the two choices IMHO. Even though the Bandmaster has a rep I liked the BF Bassman head much better when I played through it. And who knows, you may have ended up with Oxford speakers in the Bandmaster cab... Yuk.

Too bad the guy sold it without you getting your shot though. At $150. with your resources here it could have been a really good investment.

Don't be fooled by the inputs. The low gain input really is for higher gain signals like keyboards and such. You won't get a louder clean tone playing through the low gain channel, it'll just be at a higher number on the volume knob than on the normal input. What you will get is a different level on the "bright" switch. If, for example, your plugged into the "normal" channel high gain input with the vol on 3 and the bright switch engaged you have the bright cap across a much higher resistance than if you are using the "low gain" input with the amp on 7 and the bright switch engaged. So you have three flavors of clean... input 1 or 2 without the bright switch (which won't be too much different except for the vol knob setting) and input 1 with the bright switch engaged or input 2 with the bright switch engaged. The latter two will be very different because the bright circuit intensity is volume setting dependant. And since the bright switch accentuates different frequencies than the treble control many different tones become possible. This doesn't even account for the "Bass" channel. Since the two channels are in phase it's easy to A/B with a pedal for two distinctly different tones too. You may even choose the channel you DON'T use for you clean tone to mod for a dirty tone so that you can actually "channel switch" with an A/B foot switch. This trick has been done a lot. Not a real high gain tone but enough to drive solo's for blues and rock. To get high gain you could "stack" channels (ala Dumble) but this wouldn't be foot switch-able without adding relays. It would however be do-able without altering the "normal" channel clean tone at all and you would need to physically plug into the "bass" channel for the channel stack feature to engage. All mods are easily revrersible so if you don't think you'll use the "bass" channel much then it's like free stuff. Great amp with lot's of tubes and options.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

OH no, I wasent considering it being better than my bassman, I just was going to get it for $150 to have! But that is interesting about the channels, How do I jumper them? I have heard it can ruin the head?
      Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Thoughts on Saving Vintage Speakers

I used to recommend that people store their vintage Jensen speakers. However, I have changed my mind on that because of the type of speaker failures that I have been observing lately. That may sound like a contradiction until I explain.

The failure I have been seeing in 1950's and up through 1965 (so far) Jensens is that the glue bonding the spider to the frame fails. I just seems to be dried up and the spider completely separates from the frame. I don't know any shop that has developed a technique to fix that. It's re-cone time.

My point is that the glue failure can progress as the speaker sits in the closet waiting to be reunited with it's amp some day. All that time you didn't get to enjoy the sound that the speaker was intended to produce. Therefore, saving the speaker could be a lot like trying to save a piece of your favorite pie in the back of the refrigerator for a few months.

Something to think about.
        Tom

Comment

thanks tom that really helps, and makes sense really if you think about it.

What do you guys think of this?
          there is a silverface champ on craigslist right now, the guy lowered the price 3 times now. the price he is at now is $200. Good deal? yay/nay? I see them on guitar center used for about $400

Comment

+1 on the glue observation. I still think original speakers that "work" are more valuable than recones but it's true that the glue dries up and fails with age. It's hide glue IIRC. Great for acoustic guitars where a hardening of the glue means better vibration transfere. Bad for speakers that really need to remain more flexible.

If the SF Champ is a Vibro Champ I say go for it. The VC can be a really cool amp (but a better mod platform ) If it's a plain "Champ" I might skip it only because they're not that versitile and that circuit makes for a fun homebrew project anyway. Also and especially true with the SF (opposed to BF) model Champs the voltages for a single ended amp run especially high. I worked on a SF VC with 423Vp. Way high for a single ended 6V6.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I just need something I can play at lower levels sometimes and I thought $200 seemed very low, its not a vibro champ :/ I am going to try to get him to $175

Comment

Well since building a small single ended amp would likely cost over $200 this would seem like a good idea. But there is the high voltage issue. A zener in the power supply can get that down for very little $$$ and is a good idea for those SF Champs.

You could also buy or build an attenuator for your prefered rig too. Don't buy one of those crappy L-pad attenuators off Ebay. They suck. I have a good design for an atenuator that can be built as a resistive or reactive load. It works well either way but is better with the reactive circuitry. Happy to share if your interested.

Comment

I am not super good at building, I have built ABY pedals, and modded a couple wah's. other than that I am very noobish.

Comment

The SF Champ would have already been gone down here for that price. The Champs are a lot of fun and more versatile than you would think. With a RCA to 1/4 adapter and a speaker cable, you can push a Marshall cabinet set to 4 ohms.

Comment

Champs are great fun, if you've got $200 kicking around doing nothing, might be worth it.
                      I also agree on the speaker glue thing.
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

do you guys think the champ would be a good investment? I cant find one going for under $300. I plan on buying it and keeping it for years and keeping in as good as condition as I can. I know the silverfaces are not worth a ton now but it seems like they are rising in price, I remember seeing the silverface deluxe amps on ebay for like $600 and now they are well past $1000 on ebay.

Comment

The Champ designs are all very popular. If you buy a couple of copies of Vintage Guitar Magazine and look through the vintage gear that the specialty shops have for sale you'll sometimes see SF Champs advertised $600-$700. SF's are very respectable vintage amps as people are learning. As the BF stuff becomes more and more scarce, well, Let's just say that black is the new gold and silver is the new black. The amp your looking at is definitely worth the price. If it has a good trio of tubes it's a real bargain.

Comment

thats good to know, kind of what I thought. And I mean... I have a blackface, now I NEED a silverface, right?! at least thats what I am telling my girlfriend...

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
                              thats good to know, kind of what I thought. And I mean... I have a blackface, now I NEED a silverface, right?! at least thats what I am telling my girlfriend...
                              Your girl isn't interested in silver. She wants diamonds

Comment

Cheers to that!

Off topic: In my bookk Silver Faced amps are underrated. There's always going to be folks hyping certain designs and circuits. Me, I'd never blackface an silverface to get a BF. And I'm not lashing out on BF, I like my Black Face amp very much. But fact remains, some of the sweetest tones in music history has been bred by silver faces.
                                In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X