Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, should I get this bassman?! SO WORRIED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's entirely true. Consider the year in which many popular recordings were made and that these artists and studios were commonly supplied with new gear. It's safe to say that most of what was recorded or performed on a stage with Fender amps from 1967 to as late as 1983 was done with a silver faced amp. of course some BF's were in there because artists and studios already owned them. But the amps of the day were SF for sure.

I personally do prefere the BF designs as opposed to any changes to the SF models but that's also a point because the lower headroom and compressed character of the BF amps just matches my style best. Louder and cleaner, or more linear would suit the SF description as it applies to amps that were actually changed from the BF design (some weren't changed in any significant way). And those aren't bad qualities at all if that's what your after. When you consider the years that Fender dominated the market the SF amps enjoyed a lot more of that time than the BF amps.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

okay chuck, so what your saying about the diamonds, is that I need to get a 50's tweed fender ha ha
      Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Exactly, yes. She'll understand that perfectly... If she plays guitar.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

She doesnt, but she is surprising supportive with gear purchasing haha

Comment

So is my wife. Because she knows I'll punch her Just kidding. But I would kick her a$$ if I thought I could take her

If I were buying boutique gear I'd be in the dog house. But I build my personal amps from leftovers. More elbow grease than $$$. We don't have much $$$ but it's funny that I can drop $400 or $600 on parts for a customers amp and then I feel guilty buying a set of tubes for my personal amps.

Comment

The guy with the champ is taking forever to respond to my email ( if he does)

Comment

This has morphed. No longer "...should I get this Bassman..." . Time to start a new thread.

Comment

I think you are right ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
                    The Krank should hold its resale value just fine. Why not Ebay that and buy what you want? I don't recommend the Fender re-issues over the older SF/BF stuff.....the RI amps aren't built the same and won't hold up as well over time.
                    +1 Unless you play the Bassman and it ends up being all you want in an amp. If not, you're gonna be stuck with another amp to be getting rid of. So the ultimate answer is, you gotta play and look at that Bassman, and find out if it has had any tomfoolery done to it, so you can be balanced and accurate when assessing its value, THEN decide. You need info, not opinions. This is another case wherein someone has an item (you have that Krank amp) that is wanted by someone else, and you're not really sure if you want the thing (bassman and 212 btw is it a piggyback? hopefully it isn't one of those big honker standup cabs) they want to trade you for. Value the Bassman accordingly. You really want to figure out the tone you want from your guitar/amp/fx/ setup and then figure out the amp that does THAT, because you're going to get from point A to point B faster when you realize exactly where point B is.. "B" may or may not signify "'67 Bassman.

Also I think it would be wise to devalue the Bassman according to a reasonable guess as to how much money you'd be out in TECH FEES to get it running. This open-ended guess would alone be sufficient for me to balk at trading a relatively new and much more powerful guitar amp for an old vintage model that may need $150+ in updates. That is, unless your ears are having an orgasm from hearing it.
                    Last edited by Modorange; 10-27-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Modorange- I got the amp already like a month ago, there is pictures posted above. I love the amp and its exactly what I wanted. It is actually a 1966 not 67, and is very very good condition, Its actually cleaner now than in the pictures. Already talked to my amp tech and he is changing all of the electrolitics for $170. I feel as if it was deffinetly a fair trade. The cab IS a piggy back cab with the original thumb screws, and the original jensen speakers.

Comment

Great! My son's bandmaster is from around the same era.. He loves it.. I think the Bassman has a bit more gain..

Comment

Mine has some grit if you crank it, but it stays relatively clean all the way up, has an amazing clean.

Comment

I just got my 69 bassman about a wek ago. Traded a line 6 spidervalve amp and line 6 pod x3 live for it. The clean sounds freaking incredible! Mine does have a few issues with buzzing, so I'm takin it to a tech Monday. He charges 330$ for "the works" I'll let you know how everything turns out. For distortion I have a fulltone fulldive 2 matched with an OCD and that sounds really good. With your crank you can probably do mostly metal with decent sound. With hi you can do anything but metal with amazing sound. You can also mod the bass channel to be like a marshal plexi if you want too

Comment

thats awesome, I use a fulldrive 2 mosfet also, great pedal! mine has a little bit of noise, but thats to be expected of old amps, and of fender amps haha but yeah the clean is amazing!

Comment

Yeah the fulldrive is great! Sounds really good too matched with an OCD or tube screamer. Have you tried linking your channels on your amp yet? Some people really like it that way. But I find the instrument channel deep enough with my 61 reissue SG

Comment

Working...
                                X