Best 10" speaker on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 10" speaker on a budget?

What is the best 10" speaker for a 65 super reverb on a semi budget? I do not want something super super bright. This amp is aimed toward an american indie rock type sound. I am looking at a somewhat budget hopefully under $250 for a set of 4. The lower the better, but I do not want to sacrifice tone. What are peoples opinions on the weber signature alnicos? Eminence legends? (my amp tech can get eminence at dealer cost) Other eminence ideas? WGS Veteran, Any other ideas welcome

Here is a video of a tone I have in my head, the stuff I play is very similar to this. In the video the guitar players are using a twin reverb and another amp that is based on a bassman (4x10) but I have seen them use Super Reverbs as well.
    The National - Terrible Love Castle Rock Session Pitchfork.tv - YouTube
    The National - Little Faith Castle Rock Session Pitchfork.tv - YouTube

I know I have been posting alot about this amp, but while throwing ideas around its been very helpfull to get the opinions of everyone on this forum. I am going to be putting a good amount of money into this so I want to make sure I do it right the first time.
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

If I was to get 4X10s on a budget, I'd get the Weber Alnico Sig 10s.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/asig10s.htm

I have these in my Bassman Clone (5f6A), but they sound good hooked up to my Super Reverb too.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Mesa Wear Product Directory

Very efficient. Warm, not harsh, or even bright. Good balance of mids. Sounds a lot like the 1058 (maybe better) but costs less.

Including one of these (in a pair) or two (in a 4x10) will really beef up the bass and low mids compared to using the Signature 10's alone. I have a quad of L1058's in an open back 4x10 and they sound great. I tried replacing the Black Shadow 10" in a friends little combo with a pre Rola Celestion and a Kendrick speaker. The Black Shadow went back in because it sounded best of the three.
      Last edited by Chuck H; 12-28-2011, 06:59 AM.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thank you for the reply guys! Are the Signature 10's very bright though? Thats the only thing I am worried about, and when they break up. I do not like that flabby blown sound from speakers, I like smooth overdrive. The mesa one sounds appetizing, and I know this sounds stupid, but are they branded mesa? How do you guys feel about the other eminence stuff? I.E. Legends, or the Patriot Series. I have been looking a little bit at the patriot series and they look pretty cool, but there are so many varieties to choose from!

Comment

I dont find the Sig 10s to be too bright. At least not in the Bassman. I've used the amp at some decent levels too and they sounded great. These came with a Weber kit and I had originally figured on upgrading at some later time, but I've been very happy with the sound. IMO a very good speaker, especially considering the price.
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

Alright guys, now I know you are going to want to laugh but bear with me here. So tonight I was just messing around with my gear and I decided to plug my SR into my 6" Weber signature I have for my super champ...yes...I know... Anyhow, I left it in the champion cabinet and just ran the SR right into her. I have to admit, the sound was pretty impressive! I obviously did not crank the amp because A. its a 6" speaker, and B its rated at 15 watts. I got it to around 5 and it really had not much break up and it sounded GOOD! Now when I say good, I mean good considering the fact that it was a 6" speaker through a particle board cabinet. I think I might give the Signature Alnico10S a chance. I think I will try the 10s rather than the 10 because on the description it specifically says smooth and later breakup however it does say bright but I am hopeing I can balance this out with a set of different speakers maybe something non alnico. Another question. These are rated at 15 watts. The SR is 40 something watts. When I hook up four speakers do I just go by the combined wattage of the speakers? Those mesa speakers look tempting too maybe I will do 2 Webers and 2 of those, or something else.

Comment

It is actually technically complicated because each speaker type has different impedance curves. So, depending on your amps character and settings it's likely that mixing speaker types will always mean that one of the types will be dissapating the most wattage. That said...

It's done all the time. And it's based on the ideal that if all the speakers are of the same ohm rating then each one will be dissapating an equal share of the wattage.

A general rule is that for open back cabinets you want speakers rated at least 150% of the power of your amplifier. This rule is broken all the time though. Now...

If you have four speakers rated as the same ohm load each one will dissapate 25% of the power of your 40 watt amp. So at 15 watts for the Signature 10s your right at 150%. Blending speakers of dissimilar wattage rating won't increase the power handling of the cabinet over that of it's lowest rated speaker. So, by this criteria, if you have two Signature10s speakers in a 4x10 cab, and they are the speakers with the lowest wattage rating at 15 watts, your cabinet should be considered good up to 60 watts.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Great! Thanks Chuck! The only problem is finding a cabinet. Makers are all over on price, and IMO what they are asking is kind of sad... I have the hardware so all I really need is a cabinet with tolex! Anyone have one? Also, if anyone is interested I am selling the head cabinet the amp is currently in. Taking offers...

Comment

I don't think you'll find one without the feet, corners and handle. That stuff is easy to install and adds glitter to the sale.
                  Mojo has the standard package for $288

Comment

Yeah I think that is going to be about what I have to spend. I would probably go with the JDNewell stuff though. $250 for a SR cabinet and you can choose your tolex and grille cloth with no upcharges like mojo, I think with shipping it would probably end up being close to the same. Im not completely against new grill cloth but the aged stuff would be great, then it would match my bassman!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      I don't think you'll find one without the feet, corners and handle. That stuff is easy to install and adds glitter to the sale.
                      Mojo has the standard package for $288
                      Even Cheaper if your Amp tech has a Mojo Discount you mentioned earlier.
                      Could probably buy it loaded with Eminence speakers, and save some on shipping.
                      Just a Thought!
                      T
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

I just found this cabinet but it looks like someone drilled extra holes on the top by the chassis strap holes? The price is not bad but I would need to get a baffle. What do you guys think? Spend the extra money?

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewt...8ff59d57c440c6

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
                          I just found this cabinet but it looks like someone drilled extra holes on the top by the chassis strap holes? The price is not bad but I would need to get a baffle. What do you guys think? Spend the extra money?

The Steel Guitar Forum :: View topic - Fender SUPER REVERB CABINET, 4-10" Cab. Project.
                          Depends on your Budget.
                          If It were me I would buy the new one, from Mojo.
                          By the time you get the baffle and all It would be IMO overpriced for used.
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Big_tee- My tech has an Eminence deal, not Mojo. I wish it was Mojo! haha. We will see how much $$ I round up around my birthday. I really just want to get this amp going so I can start Running both amps with an ABY switch. I am trying to do it on budget but still remain the best tone and quality I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
                              Big_tee- My tech has an Eminence deal, not Mojo. I wish it was Mojo! haha. We will see how much $$ I round up around my birthday. I really just want to get this amp going so I can start Running both amps with an ABY switch. I am trying to do it on budget but still remain the best tone and quality I can.
                              OK I figured he had a Mojo Discount because they discount the whole Eminence Line.
                              I have one for my Pickup Making Bizz.
                              If you had it in a head, why not just buy a good used 4x10 or 4x12 used in a music store, or pawn shop.
                              I picked up a 4x12 Used Ampeg Cab with speakers for $180 Out the door.
                              I set my 50 Watt on top.
                              Do what you want, but that is what I would do.
                              or trade for a deville 4x10 or something like that.
                              The Possibilities are endless, but takes some searching and looking.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X