No announcement yet.

Best 10" speaker on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a good combo amp that I can just take with me. I don't really want to trade an all original 1965 Super Reverb for a deville. so far I only have $165 into this amp so I really am doing good, I just need to be patient. I purchased the amp from a family member for $65 and put $100 in tubes/some new caps/grounded power cable. Click image for larger version

Name:	394054_2297789898752_1669284591_1994769_1261411494_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	823770 This is a picture that shows the amp in conversation (The one with the cow skin haha)
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Does the SR amp have a multi tap OT? If so (and it's switchable), you could even get different cabs, one 4X10, 2X12, 1X15 etc. I've always thought that would be a versatile setup. (just my 2c worth!)
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

No sir, everything is original. I want this amp in combo form. I am either doing a 4x10 or a 2x10 setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
          No sir, everything is original. I want this amp in combo form. I am either doing a 4x10 or a 2x10 setup.
          Go for it!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Go for the 4X10 then. At least then the amp will be closest to original, (cant be original in a head cab). Being that a SR was my main amp at one time, I think you'll be happier with that setup.
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
            - Yogi Berra

Comment

IMHE 2x10's won't cut it for even small clubs. Yeah there's the 1x12 combo thing that works OK but if your going to trouble with multiple speakers 2x10's won't get you any more than 1x12. You really need to bump to 4x10's or 2x12's to get to the "big enough for clean tones in a medium sized room" level.

JM2C
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Clean tones are overrated. So are 10k mid pots and Fender tone stacks.

jamie

Comment

That's my MO too. But some guys like a big clean sound. It always sounds killer to me. I just don't use it much for what "I" do. I'm more of a crank it and dig in guy. And I always use 25k pots in BF type amps

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Yeah I am leaning towards 4x10. I am not one of those guys who makes drastic changes to his amp to achieve the sound, I would rather sell it and get something that suits me. In my original post I posted some videos of my sort of achieved sound parse and I think the 4x10's will be perfect. I think us guitarists have a tendency to mess with something that is already great, and in this case I am going to go back to the original, because I know that's what works. SO... Any good 10" speaker recommendations?! haha! Anyone try the WGS Veteran 10's? I think I am digging the idea still of getting 2 weber alnico sig10s and two of something else... Just have to find the missing half! I think some eminence would be cool, and I can get a discount! Anyone have an opinion on Eminence 10's? Again:American Fender Tones, No British stuff...

Comment

The cheap Emi alnicos in a Super Reverb are great! IMO.

Best-sounding SR I ever played had 'em.
                      Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

The Legend 1028k is a great sounding speaker. But at US $80 they aren't within the proposed budget. The 1058 is also good. Big low mids without being muddy at all. Roughly 99dB efficiency. In listening tests I think it's almost the same speaker as the Mesa 50 watt model. The Emi is about US $60 and the Mesa speaker is US $50. I think the Mesa speaker might actually be a tad better sounding and more efficient but I can't get specs for it. But if the Mesa lable is aesthetically displeasing the Emi 1058 is great. Niether will be too bright but also not muddy sounding. The Emi 1028k has that coveted "reedy" quality that makes the clean tones chime and the distortion tones cut through with definition, but never sounds shrill or beamy. It's what I would use if my budget allowed. Otherwise I would use the Mesa speakers and live with the label. I've never heard the Weber signature 10s. I'd like to hear more from anyone who has. The price is nice.

Comment

10" Veteran - 20 Watts | Warehouse Guitar Speakers
                          I just listened to the sound clips for The Vet 10 and it sounds good at $41 Each.
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Yeah I am leaning towards 4x10. I am not one of those guys who makes drastic changes to his amp to achieve the sound, I would rather sell it and get something that suits me. In my original post I posted some videos of my sort of achieved sound parse and I think the 4x10's will be perfect. I think us guitarists have a tendency to mess with something that is already great, and in this case I am going to go back to the original, because I know that's what works. SO... Any good 10" speaker recommendations?! haha! Anyone try the WGS Veteran 10's? I think I am digging the idea still of getting 2 weber alnico sig10s and two of something else... Just have to find the missing half! I think some eminence would be cool, and I can get a discount! Anyone have an opinion on Eminence 10's? Again:American Fender Tones, No British stuff...
                            A very close friend of mine has 2 CTS (original), some other Fender (OEM - Emi?) and an Altec 10 in a SR. You'd think the Altek wouldn't work in combination with the other speakers, but the amp sounds fantastic.

My SR (SF model, I guess early 70s) has the stock speakers, but when I rig up a cable and play through the Bassman's Aln Sig10s it sounds better. Lots of options on speakers these days, be nice to try them all out first.
                            - Yogi Berra

Comment

Thanks for all of the input guys. I think I am for sure doing 2 of the alnico weber signatures. Do you think it would be a bad idea doing four? I have heard many people suggest doing two alnico and two ceramic? _ALSO_ I think I may have found my answer for a cabinet. I was researching online and found "The Cab Guy" and for a 4x10 SR combo cabinet he asks $200. Not bad!!! Anyone have any experience with this guy, I have not heard of him so was just wondering if anyone else has done business with him. From the photos he work looks pretty nice. Here is the link to his site: TheCabGuy - Custom Guitar Cabinets

Comment

I take it back. Saw Eric Johnson tonight and his Twins (which no doubt have Fender tone stacks with 10k pots) sounded fabulous.

jamie

Comment

Working...
                                X