Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Guess "an" means and .
    I'll guess it means typo. Which, along similar causes, is now a proper word due to the morphology of language with speech. Typo is easily understood and more economical than 'typographical error'. Remarkably and entirely by accident the word manages to hold some accuracy to it's root language (Greek) it is none the less proper English

NOTE* The word type comes from the Greek word typus. Which means to strike or beat. Since the term type was originaly applied to the stamping of letters in clay (and later the printing press) this made sense. Now the word type has come to mean any lettering. Including that which is done by hand (which is more properly 'script' and when it's not script it's 'printed' even though theres no printing involved ) So...

Typo means a grammatical mistake in word spelling or form due to a physical error like a short or missed key strike.

Typo is a bastardization of typographical error.

Type is a bastardization of typus. Which means to strike or beat.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Man, I hope you guys don't start going after my grammatical mishaps. I'm sure there are many!
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Man, I hope you guys don't start going after my grammatical mishaps. I'm sure there are many!
        Oh I make plenty myself. I've been corrected here on my grammar many times. That's how this started after all. Though this is the first time I've been corrected by someone for whom English isn't their primary language . In fact it's only in the last ten years that I've made a real effort to clean up my act. I knew that "I" was not the best with grammar, spelling and word/phrase context but I was seeing so many confusing, improperly context phrasings, misspellings and wrong or skipped punctuations with the generation behind me that I became personally embarrassed of my own shortcommings. That is, if "I" was noticing their mistakes it must be a growing problem and "I" should step up and sweep my own porch. In other words, I'm not the guy to correct anyone. I'm still trying to get it right.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          Is it actually correct to say "I'm use to it"?
          Used to is the correct terminology. The only time 'use to' is correct is when 'did' or 'didn't' is part of the phrase. This is how I was taught and I think it is the best explanation.
          Aside from that exception, 'use to' should be considered slang.
          https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/use-to-or-used-to/

Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well, since this thread is so far off topic that even Richard Petty couldn't steer it back,....

This is not an excuse for bad grammar, but I've spent the last decade and a half playing the part of another person on stage (as some of you may know). I've actually studied speech patterns and mannerisms to try to do the best job I can. Some of it has rubbed off. We in the band like to call it "Hick Sheik". Billy's jargon is a mix of hillbilly and Harvard grad- a vast dichotomy. I find myself using both at different times and often together. I've met people gigging and then later talked to them on the phone and they did not believe it was the same person. My typing/writing is similarly screwed up.

Comment

Well, since this thread is so far off topic that even Richard Petty couldn't steer it back,....

This is not an excuse for bad grammar, but I've spent the last decade and a half playing the part of another person on stage (as some of you may know). I've actually studied speech patterns and mannerisms to try to do the best job I can. Some of it has rubbed off. We in the band like to call it "Hick Sheik". Billy's jargon is a mix of hillbilly and Harvard grad- a vast dichotomy. I find myself using both at different times and often together. I've met people gigging and then later talked to them on the phone and they did not believe it was the same person. My typing/writing is similarly screwed up.
              You are no different from anyone I know. Myself? I have polished my interactions with others in a very rote context. I've actually been called out for spectrum Asperger's (though not by any official diagnosis). The "me" I present for communication and interaction with others is very gauged and practiced through evaluation of responses and careful consideration of what I've seen others do. To put it another way, when I've had too much to drink I can ruin a party My point is just that we're all two people. I think it might be how much we make the one we are mesh with the one we present that makes the biggest difference in our lives and relationships. Lies are unacceptable so you need to keep your "persona" aligned with your "self". That's really all there is to it. Otherwise as performers we give 'em what they want

Comment

I have come to rely on Firefox's spelling correction. Now that I'm also using a Chromebook computer, it has some rudimentary grammar correction.
                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                  I have come to rely on Firefox's spelling correction. Now that I'm also using a Chromebook computer, it has some rudimentary grammar correction.
                  I had some trouble with my browser situation a few months ago. Since I've put things back together I've lost spell check along the way somehow. I do miss it because I'm a dufus and I came to rely on it. But the need hasn't come up often enough to inspire me to dig in and re activate it... Yet. I consider it a self enforced educational experience

NOTE* No spellings or editing was done on this post. But I very often do since losing spell check.

Comment

"Hick Sheik"
                    Pretty sure you meant "Hick chic"

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post
                      Doesn't a grammatical error in a term related to hick language seem somehow appropriate though? I don't doubt it was intentional.

A long time ago there was a sign on the highway as you entered Lyons Colorado. It said "Howdy Foks". It was left that way for some time as an inside joke. But when tourists didn't get it and took the sign as unintentionally misspelled the township changed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        Doesn't a grammatical error in a term related to hick language seem somehow appropriate though? I don't doubt it was intentional.
                        I know, my correction was very much tongue-in-cheek, hoped the wink would make that clear!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post
                          Yes. That's the correct term. The "sheik" was meant as part of the joke.
                          Last edited by The Dude; 03-04-2024, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Well who makes a joke like that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	zmg1.png
Views:	55
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	995375

Comment

Working...
                            X