'65 Fender Champ No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    There are a few ways to drop voltage with the existing PT. But first, is the 5y3 a Sovtek brand tube?
    GE GZ34

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post

GE GZ34
      Transformers

Comment

GE GZ34
        Wrong rectifier tube.
        With correct 5Y3GT B+ should be around 40V lower.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Transformers
          PT is correct.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
            But high supply voltages won't cause low output.
            Ah, but... Since the preamp in an AA764 doesn't clip and the class A power tube can't be center biased this might have an influence. I did interpret anemic output to mean "Champ". Which means low output anyway. But I also "no clipping". Which I also interpreted as part of a possible misdiagnosis simply because the power tube wasn't clipping. I thought it was possible the lack of clipping was the main culprit for the description of the weak sound.

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Well this might have been easier. See post 15

Click image for larger version  Name:	p15.png Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	957117
              We've been diagnosing with incorrectly reported or possibly changed circumstances. Why?!?

Like Helmholtz said then. Put a 5y3 in the amp. Leave the 470 ohm cathode resistor in place.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                Well this might have been easier. See post 15

Click image for larger version Name:	p15.png Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	957117
                We've been diagnosing with incorrectly reported or possibly changed circumstances. Why?!?

Like Helmholtz said then. Put a 5y3 in the amp. Leave the 470 ohm cathode resistor in place.
                So is it safe to guess that if 5y3 drops 6v6 down to 399v, I should notice even more output and clipping?

Comment

So is it safe to guess that if 5y3 drops 6v6 down to 399v, I should notice even more output and clipping?
                  Rather somewhat less output and a bit more clipping.

You need to measure output power.

If 6V6 grid drive is healthy and output is really low, you might have a bad OT.
                  Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-03-2022, 09:03 PM.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                    If 6V6 grid drive is healthy and output is really low, you might have a bad OT.
                    I didn't know they ever had good ones

Functional, maybe, but all Champs with a tone stack and the stock OT sound "weak" to me. Of course I agree about measuring output once the amp is put right otherwise. Maybe just my opinion but I would consider a bad OT a mixed blessing. Extra expense, yes. But also an opportunity to greatly improve the amp with an upgrade.

Comment

So, installed new JJ 5Y3 rectifier tube and 6V6 now reads(395v), notice more clipping and not much volume difference to my ears. 6V6 is a GE and 12AX7 is a RCA. GZ34 was also a GE. Serial number winds up being a '66.Thsnks for the help.

Comment

Seems like at this point you could measure output power at the speaker with a sine input and see how much you are getting.

Comment

Working...
                        X