Garnet Rebel 3 prong plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delta362 View Post
    For the strain relief issue, I've been using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PIC00S/ for several years now. Inexpensive and does what I need it do.
    Appreciate the suggestion. I was able to get the new cord to go into the existing strain relief. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      I brought this up here some time ago:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...349#post955349

FWIW: It was not meant to be disrespectful, but as a suggestion to the OP that he do some reading and actually learn something about electronics before proceeding with more repairs. It scares me a little bit that something could be incorrectly repaired and someone could be killed. I haven't seen any desire to learn anything about electronics- just a "what do I do next?" sort of thing.
      Can you give several if not all examples of how I might wind up killing someone with an amplifier? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post

Can you give several if not all examples of how I might wind up killing someone with an amplifier? Thanks.
        Ok, I'll start...

You asked after a resistor to use for cathode bias. One you mentioned was under rated for current but you were not aware of that. I don't know all of that resistors specs because they weren't included and it's true that MOST resistors are flame retardant, but... To your credit you DID ask if you could use it but you really should have already known the part was under rated for that circuit. Suppose you had used it and the amp caught on fire.

I have seen some tack and jumper soldering in your work that doesn't include shrink tube insulation on floating HV nodes. Let's speculate that one of these amps owners decides to adjust bias on their own amp. It happens. Overtly exposed HV connections are a potential electrocution risk.

There are too many ways to make an amp fail dangerously to list them all. Learning these ways rote is impractical. But knowing about electronics in general will demonstrate them as obvious mistakes before they can happen. There's no way to know what you MIGHT do without the necessary awareness.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Ok, I'll start...

You asked after a resistor to use for cathode bias. One you mentioned was under rated for current but you were not aware of that. I don't know all of that resistors specs because they weren't included and it's true that MOST resistors are flame retardant, but... To your credit you DID ask if you could use it but you really should have already known the part was under rated for that circuit. Suppose you had used it and the amp caught on fire.

I have seen some tack and jumper soldering in your work that doesn't include shrink tube insulation on floating HV nodes. Let's speculate that one of these amps owners decides to adjust bias on their own amp. It happens. Overtly exposed HV connections are a potential electrocution risk.

There are too many ways to make an amp fail dangerously to list them all. Learning these ways rote is impractical. But knowing about electronics in general will demonstrate them as obvious mistakes before they can happen. There's no way to know what you MIGHT do without the necessary awareness.
          Appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            The old early Gerald Weber books irked me. He went into great detail on mods for amps. Change the resistor in the corner, replace the third cap from the left. Never once discussed what the mod was actually doing. You could blackface an amp without learning anything about the circuits. To me that is a dis-service to budding techs out there.
            THIS! ^^^

That is exactly how I learned at the beginning. And that's frustrating when you can't figure something out because you don't know the "why" part. By the time I started working on customer amps I knew enough to get by. Then the health issues kicked in and I stopped doing customer work. Now it's just my stuff, and I have a lot that needs work, and once in a while a friend or family member's equipment. I've asked you guys a lot and you've given even more and I've learned a ton in the last few years about the "why". Sorry to get off-track but Enzo hit the nail on the head.
            --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Working...
            X