No announcement yet.

Vintage Lectrolab Model 20 Tube Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The amp was working fine, but the volume was not so great. When I put a mic in front of it, it sounded big and awesome. I picked up another amp with a field coil speaker that needed a recone. When I reached out to Weber speakers they said sure send it in and I did. Then I thought, I should do the same with the Electrolab speaker. The cone was brittle and didn't fair well when I removed it from the amp. When I reached out to Weber, they weren't so sure about this one, but I sent it anyway.

Well the first speaker was reconed without issue and sounds great, but they weren't able to recone the Electrolab speaker. They said they weren't able to get a voice coil to fit properly. The center pole is covered in surface rust and they think that might be making it harder to fit a coil. They tried cleaning with no luck.

So now I need to either find a way to recone this speaker or find another field coil speaker. Any suggestions on how to fix or replace? I don't want to convert to ceramic. I want a field coil speaker.​
    Attached Files

Comment

Could you upload a picture of the other side? Especially a close up of the gap for the voice coil would help.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Could you upload a picture of the other side? Especially a close up of the gap for the voice coil would help.
        Here you go.

Attached Files

Comment

It's hard to tell for sure, but the gap looks shifted. It could just be the angle of the photo, though. If you take something like a small screwdriver (unless you have gap gauges), can you notice that the gap is wider in some spots than others as you track around the gap?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            It's hard to tell for sure, but the gap looks shifted. It could just be the angle of the photo, though. If you take something like a small screwdriver (unless you have gap gauges), can you notice that the gap is wider in some spots than others as you track around the gap?
            Here's another pic. The last one was at an angle. I checked with gap gauge, small screw driver and needle. The gap seems consistent all around.
            Attached Files

Comment

That's good news. I'd next take a look in the gap and see if you spot any obstructions (chunks of rust, speaker glue, etc.). I use the magnifier app/with flashlight on my phone for this. If everything looks clear, it should be able to be reconed. A person would have to measure it and use generic parts, so there's no telling how it would sound. I'd think there would be a recone service in NY that could do it for you. If not, PM me and I may be willing to give it a look, if you're interested..

Comment

Working...
              X