No announcement yet.

Eden wt 400 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you "check" those zener diodes, did you just subject them to the diode test on your voltmeter? The only real test of a zener is to run current through it and see if it "zenes" at the 12v. it may act like a diode just fine at the voltage your meter uses. That doesnlt mean it works as a zener.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I simply love that technical term.
      "zenes".

Comment

Ah well, my degree is in communication, sometimes I try to make it work for me.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

wt 400

Hi guys thanks for all the help,I'll check those vlaues and get back to you with the readings

Comment

Eden WT400

Hi Guys,
            Think I've found the problem,its the 12v zener (D13),it shorted,but I cant recognise the value on the part,it looks like 1n4742 or 1n4142,any help? once i replace it hopefully tonight I'll give my results,thank you again

Comment

1N4742 is a 12V 1 watt zener diode.
              1N4142 is a schottky diode.

Comment

1N4742 12V zener
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Eden WT400

Hi there,
                  I've replaced the tip32,the two zeners the 12v and 15v,replaced the caps c9 47uf and c36 1000uf,and also the 1n4003 diode,last check i did was on the tube socket.here are the readings. on the tube socket.if this might be of any assistance,still getting 11.1v on the heater,is that enough?

Voltages from
                  4 to 9 = 5.5v
                  5 to 9 = 5.6v
                  1 to 3 = 59.4v
                  6 to 8 = 59.5v
                  2 to GND = -3.4v
                  7 to GND = -3.4v

Comment

Excellent.
                    11.1V will work but is a bit low; I always found a "12V" Zener there a bit low, specially since you lose at least 700 mV through the TIP base.
                    Use it as-is, but whenever possible replace that Zener with the next higher up ¿¿1n4743???.
                    My bread and butter Zener is 1N4744 which is 15V, so I guess the intermediate one *should* be what I suggested, anyway Google it.
                    Congratulations, don't forget to post your results.
                    Last edited by J M Fahey; 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Wt 400

Hi there thank you for your response,one more question,where would I put my dmm meter leads to set the bias voltage on this diagram
                      Attached Files

Comment

As stated on the schematic, DMM scale 200mV DC , Black to (B) point which is where the 2SA1494 emitter joins a .5 ohm power resistor; Red to (A) point, where the 2SC3858 touches a .5 ohm power resistor.
                        You are measuring the voltage drop across two power resistors that are in series.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

WT 400 PSU Board

Hi There,
                          the pSu board on my wt400 has four 4700uf 80v caps,would I benefit by replacing them with 10000uf 80v,by giving me some extra headroom/output?

Comment

It may pay, *only* if the new ones are the same size (or almost so) , meaning they drop in, no major surgery.
                            The difference will be audible (a better PSU never hurts) but not that much.
                            More power? A little, not noticeable.
                            Most notable will be cleaner bass. You might even *think* there's less of it, because of reduced ripple.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

wt400

Is there any mod I can do to get just a little more headroom/ouput?

Comment

Use bigger, meaner, louder speakers. What are you using now?
                                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X