No announcement yet.

Flea market find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. Also just thinking out loud now, but wouldn't 60Hz be a low enough frequency to be included in the mono portion of the amplification with almost none getting past the 200Hz filter? More lily gilding?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Notice full power reaches a woofer boc, with an added low pass filter. I wonder why you crossed it out because itīs *essential* for this system.
      As I said, the top schematic is not this amp, but it was the closest schematic I could find after searching for three hours. That's why I crossed it off, this amp does not have those components.

Sorry for the confusion, that's why I am drawing my own based on the actual amp.

In any case, the amp looks more like a "proof of concept" job than anuthing else.
      Maybe it was designed by an Engineer experienced in disc cutting Electronics and he applied his specialized knowledge here..
      Could be, however the only connectors on this were normal power in, power out through a harness, audio in and audio out. The best I can come up with is it's a CBS/Columbia stereo unit, possibly out of a phonograph console. The tubes have CBS printed on them along with "made in Great Britain" on the rectifier and the 12AX7/ECC83, and "made in Germany" on the one 6BQ5/EL84. I wish the other 6BQ5 was there but it was gone when I got it.
      --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        I'm not the circuit guru around here really. I have no issue with the thing as drawn. It simply has an extra stage of filtration before it starts using it. Less ripple hits things. Might be gilding the lily, since push pull stages tend to cancel B+ ripple. But it costs a few volts to get smoother DC.
        The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking you're probably right about extra filtration. That's the only thing I can come up with since there are no other parts hooked up to it.
        --Jim

Comment

I still believe that, same reason those Champ models added the stage. But Juan appears to be right as well, I was ignoring the preamp, so this is essentially a pair of single ended amps sharing a transformer. On the other hand, the two sides don't know their grid signals come from different sources, so they still ought to cancel B+ ripple in the power tube stage.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Here we go. I will double check this again after I get some sleep but I am pretty confident it's exactly the way the amp is set up. I just need to identify the combo resistor/cap parts and the pot values. I have to believe the plates on the 12AX7 are getting B+ through that combo part since lead four goes to B+.

I haven't checked voltages since all I've done is map out the circuit.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by gui_tarzan; 05-20-2017, 01:03 AM.
            --Jim

Comment

So get out the ohm meter.

B+ goes into D and I expect a resistor (100k?) from D to A and F.

From A and F I expect a coupling cap to B and E.

B and E ought to also have a resistor each to C. (220k-470k?)

What's that, six parts? Likesiwe the other one is tone stack parts.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's the next step.
                --Jim

Comment

Hey Enzo,
                  How can I start a new thread ?

Comment

http://music-electronics-forum.com/n...newthread&f=48

Up top: click on 'Forum'
                    Then pick which forum you want.

Comment

New thread? Look at the main menu, pick a topic (music electronics, or schematic request, or whatever). Open the topic. Upper left or the topic menu, is a start new thread button. CLick it.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Jazz P Bass,
                        My first guitar was a Schecter C4 Custom Bass, Love it, But never really understood how to play it as a solo instrument
                        Thanks for the help regarding the forum

Joe

Comment

Mr.Enzo,
                          That's great information and I thank you for acknowledging my question. I really like this type of forum because I actually went through an Aviation Communication and Navigation system electronic course 10 years ago. The bench tests and basic principles of resistors, diodes, transformers never really sunk in. Especially how to test using an oscilliscope and reading the sine wave. Now I have a greater appreciation for the Art of repairing micro circuits and semi conductors.

Thanks for the assistance
                          Joe

Comment

Wow, I am very impressed with the depth of knowledge you have Mr. Fahey,

I've also traveled extensively through the Country and have even lived their temporarily. Always considered relocating there.

Joe

Comment

Thanks, I'll try participating

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X