Funny DIY power supply to board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny DIY power supply to board.

Well.......I guess that is one way of powering the preamp board. I removed the back panel to a Peavey amp and this is what I saw. ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3346.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	740.7 KB
ID:	978077

Is that a circuit breaker? Geez that’s looking pretty dangerous to me too. I am not sure why they mounted it on there like that. Crazy.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

It is a wall wart power supply bolted to the back panel.

Comment

What "preamp board" is this powering? The pedal board? An auxiliary preamp going INTO the Peavey amp? Surely it's not powering any board IN the Peavey amp.?. The description (as well as the photo) is ambiguous and confusing.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The amp I am working on is a Peavey PA-400. The output transistors were removed and plug was cut off.

Name:	IMG_3204.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	978107 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3205.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	978108

As you know, Peavey amps of that era have a preamp/control board mounted on the front panel and a power supply/output amp board mounted on the rear panel. The power transformer is mounted on the floor of the amp cabinet.

I removed the back panel expecting to see a populated board minus output transistors. Boy was I surprised! Instead, I saw the power switch, fuse and wall wart power supply mounted with steel pluming pipe hanger tape. If the wall wart slips out it either shorts and sends line voltage across the back panel or flops around inside shorting out other components .

A non-Peavey power amp was mounted on the floor of the amp cabinet.​

Name:	IMG_3282.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	978109

Comment

Is that a trash can it is being prepped for?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It's actually a horse trough planter. ;-)

Yeah I'm not sure what to do with this amp. Probably sell it for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post

Yeah I'm not sure what to do with this amp. Probably sell it for parts.
                I'd guess those metal knobs are getting hard to find, and may be the most valuable parts there.

Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Weird!

I know Greg Ginn from Black Flag used one of these as his guitar amp for a while, so maybe there's still some mojo in the preamp sound. Wild that the power amp module was removed

Comment

Yeah. It probably took more time to mess around wiring the new amp than it did to find a correct board/back panel and get it working. BTW, since the cord was cut I never bothered to power it up to see if it works. My guess is no.

Comment

It's nice to see that you have "gifted" people too.

Comment

Working...
                      X