No announcement yet.

Chinese and Russian tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't gathered enough courage to shop for the tubes suggested in this thread. If you do, please let me know what you think.
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
      I haven't gathered enough courage to shop for the tubes suggested in this thread. If you do, please let me know what you think.
      Will do, although I hope to get some guidance here. Any recomendations on decent on line sellers? I've used Doug's Tubes in the past and did ok.

Comment

I'd like to think more in terms of reliability, BUT..... there hasn't been a case where I've used NOS USA and British tubes where they DIDN'T sound and respond better and last MUCH longer.

Sorry to say, but the Russian tubes have not yet caught up with NOS tube quality. Even more sorry is that China hasn't yet caught up with Russia.

A word on JJ tubes: I don't have a problem with their SOUND. In fact, they have the ONLY 7591 that actually SOUNDS close to the original. My issue is with their power tube reliability. I've seen a lot of them blow up in amps.

Chinese tubes, even if they start out good, seem very prone to "spontaneous combustion".

What is tough for me to fathom is that Russian tube makers haven't yet sussed-out the old USA and British tube technology, as to what makes them sound and respond better as well as last longer. It's not like it's new technology y'know.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I quite like some 'Russian' output tubes (6P6S, 6P3Se). Others can be flakey. I now have a stash of my favourites. But IMHO ya can beat the old Sovtek 5881 WXT for 6L6 output tubes in terms of price:reliability equation. Their EL84s usually aren't bad either.
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Well, the 5881WXT is just the 6P3SE with a different base, to allow the "bear trap" tube retainers in some amps to keep a hold of it.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Yes on closer inspection the internals look identical. Thanks Steve.
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I think the Ruby6L6GCMSTR is a fantastic 6L type. Great tone and long lasting. I've been gigging a set of these for 3 years and they ain't let me down yet. Sovtek/EH EL34s are a safe go-to. Especially for high plate voltage amps. The JJ EL84 seems to have mechanical problems....they get rattley faster in combos than the cheap-o Sovteks. The Sovtek "5881" stamped tubes are durable and will take whatever you throw at them plate voltage wise, but don't tend to sound all that great. I use them as pass regs in my HV supplies. The sound best that way
                The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

i found the test reports on this website really helpful

Watford Valves :: Reports

party on

Comment

Originally posted by mrwilson View Post
                    i found the test reports on this website really helpful

Watford Valves :: Reports
                    Yes, a nice site, but I never listen with both ears if it's a salesman reviewing stuff.

Originally posted by mrwilson View Post
                    party on
                    Hell yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
                      Yes, a nice site, but I never listen with both ears if it's a salesman reviewing stuff.

Hell yeah!
                      true very true. but for me who knows very little it was a nice place to start. i never considered buying from them any way....ebay is my usual starting point.

Comment

I am amazed and bemused by the inroads New Age Hoodie-Voodie thinking mythology has made into the M.I. from it's birthplace in over the top subjective, effusive gibberish and non-sense of esoteric audio. That Watford test was total BS. Those who claim these sound signatures to tubes while ignoring the mountains of more influential variables just shows they are either in on the gag or clueless about testing and human perception about sound. The flakes and fairy dust salesmen from esoteric hi-fi and their golden ears have been proven frauds in any well designed tests that limit variables as much as possible and reducing cuing, like common double blind tests. The $3,000 /meter interconnects that are highly praised with flowery language prove to be no better than zip cord in real bind tests. I've conducted tests with that type of gear and studio gear, and guitar amps and when getting the player/evaluator out of the feedback loop differences quickly fade to insignificant. What to improve your tone...play better, or change the position of the speaker in the room 7 degrees if you want real change, buying a highly praise tube(which happens to be off the exact assembly line as lessor valued tubes...I guess the differences in mass of the logo ink on the glass made the difference) for more clearity in the highs or richer bottom is a fool's quest, you might as well buy fairy dust. I am still waiting for one of the esoteric cable or tube evangelists to explain just how the physics of their claims can be described or tested for. It will be a long wait, it can't be and only exists in their own and their follower's imaginations. If they can't describe it, how did they design for it, or know when to stop? It is marketing, not engineering or even music...
                        They must know that human's can't reliably recall characteristics of sound and acoustic environment for more than a couple seconds, although we have long term memory of what we judged the sound to be like, we can remember or impressions of how the sound was experienced. That is highly influenced by suggestion, as any hi-fi salesman can tell you. He can make you accept any speaker he is getting extra commissions on that day.

Comment

Me too, same results.

It's irrelevant to the industry, though. Engineering isn't what makes people buy products. Marketing is. They're not selling you an amp, they're selling a dream. Nowadays, nobody who buys an electronic product actually understands on a scientific level how it works. So the products that come with the best advertising fantasies sell the most. That Watford Valves article is a fine example of what I'm talking about.

Disclaimer: The only 12AX7 type tube I ever bought was one of the Blackburn Techtubes ones. I have a reasonable stash of Mullard, Brimar and Mazdas rescued from scientific dumpsters over the years.
                          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
                            What to improve your tone...play better, or change the position of the speaker in the room 7 degrees if you want real change, buying a highly praise tube(which happens to be off the exact assembly line as lessor valued tubes...I guess the differences in mass of the logo ink on the glass made the difference) for more clearity in the highs or richer bottom is a fool's quest, you might as well buy fairy dust.
                            I agree regarding tone. It's very hard to tell difference between tubes. But on the other hand, difference in break up is a feature thats very easy to hear. (Just mentioned as an example.) So yes, a golden ear to hear a golden toned tube is somewhat odd. But, even my mum can tell difference in break up. Question in this thread is, is it possible to find good tubes presently manufactured; Russia, China.

Hard to tell, I have my own preferences, smooth break up, long life span. I can tell difference in tone, but usually I don't let it bother me. If I want to tone my amp/playing differently I change guitars, or maybe get an other gauged set of strings. (Occasionally I plug my amp into an other speaker.)

Cheers!

Comment

http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin...treport_46.pdf

I think this test of the EL34 is the most successful of all I read. Certainly has not written a spectator but a guitarist playing the guitar.
                              I know all those tubes and fully agree with its findings. Who probably do not work with them or not play guitar with them has the problem of giving the true dimension to each assessment but if you know well them, should be able to appreciate these comments.

Mix the effects of speaker cables with the effects of the tubes in a well know guitar amp should be banned

Comment

It's not that hard to tell the difference between differing brands of tubes, in the same amp & under as similar operating conditions as possible. Some tubes sound dramatically different to other brands of the same designation.

Things are the same if they are the same, if they are different they are not the same.

Km6xz are you suggesting that brand of output tube has no bearing on the sound that an amplifier makes (as many factors that can be, being equal)?

Comment

Working...
                                X