No announcement yet.

Best New Issue EL34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may have had some of the JJ's with small pins. Those will often lose contact with pins and you might lose the bias or something and poof goes a tube. I buy my JJ's from Eurotubes since they are across town from me, and also because they make sure the tubes test ok and check the pin size, etc.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
      You may have had some of the JJ's with small pins. Those will often lose contact with pins and you might lose the bias or something and poof goes a tube. I buy my JJ's from Eurotubes since they are across town from me, and also because they make sure the tubes test ok and check the pin size, etc.

Greg
      JJ had issues with smaller than usual pins? I didn't know about that. Care to ellaborate?
      Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post

Greg
        I'm using the Belton Tube Sockets.
        I thought the tubes fit rather snug into the Sockets.
        I Also hope you elaborate!
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I had heard a few years ago that JJ Was having problems with undersized pins suposedly they have corrected the problem.

Comment

One of JJ's customer's apparently had asked for smaller pins, so JJ made all their octals with them. Unfortunately, they were too small and some of the pins would lose contact because unsuspecting tube installers would not readjust the socket to match the smaller pins. JJ reverted back to normal size pins shortly after, but there was a lot of stuff made like that. It has been at least 3 years since this problem and some vendors are still clearing out the JJ tubes with the smaller pins. Here is a link below to a post with some more info about it. Also, if you buy from a decent vendor (such as Eurotubes) then you will most likely not get any with the small pin issue.

Greg

JJ pin size issue finally put to bed [Archive] - Telecaster Guitar Forum

Comment

The small pin issue is an old issue.
              I measured my pins today and this was not my Problem.
              My not so old KT77 gave up for no apparent reason that I know of.
              Visually it looks the same as the one that is still good.
              The EL34 EHs I had on hand are doing fine.
              The EHs have about as many hours on them as the KT77s.
              I will contact The Tube Supplier I got them from tomorrow, and see if they know of any Known Issues.
              Terry
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                Why do you not buy from Sovtek out of principle? What happened?
                I can't answer for him, but it could be related to the slightly underhanded way that New Sensor "acquired" the Svetlana brand name in the U.S. -- or something similar. I know that CE Distribution got into a dispute with New Sensor and stopped carrying their tubes for a while. New Sensor has stepped on a few toes.

Comment

Back to my JJ KT77 Failure, would JJ 34L sound similar to the 77s?
                  I can get the JJ34Ls cheap from Mojo.
                  They don't sell the regular JJ34s.
                  B_T
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Back to my JJ KT77 Failure, would JJ 34L sound similar to the 77s?
                    I can get the JJ34Ls cheap from Mojo.
                    They don't sell the regular JJ34s.
                    B_T
                    I installed a pair of E34L blue glass for a player here in town last week. I had them lying around and he told me he was in need of new tubes. He fell in love with his JCM 800 again....he was using Shuguang before, the new tubes gave his amp a whole new life. I've never used KT77's so I wouldn't be able to compare them to the E34L's. I found I could bias them hotter than EL34's, awesome tone IMO.
                    Valvulados

Comment

I installed a pair of E34L blue glass for a player here in town last week. I had them lying around and he told me he was in need of new tubes. He fell in love with his JCM 800 again....he was using Shuguang before, the new tubes gave his amp a whole new life. I've never used KT77's so I wouldn't be able to compare them to the E34L's. I found I could bias them hotter than EL34's, awesome tone IMO.
                      I've seen the blue glass ones in the web stores.
                      I bet they look cool heated up.
                      I will try the 34Ls. Mojo has them at a pretty decent price.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Big_teee, I know the small pin thing is an old issue, but some vendors are still selling some of the tubes with those small pins because they got stuck with them in their stock and are trying to get them out of their stock. It is something to watch out for.

The KT77's are a beam tetrode instead of a true pentode, so they kind of bridge the sound between a 6L6 and an EL34. I like them a lot. That said, I think the EL34's or E34L's should work just fine for you. I haven't had reliability issues with JJ's KT77's, but then I haven't used a ton of them either. Like all tube production, the KT77's are made in batches so a tube will get a great reputation and then the batch will change and there could be problems with the new batch and people think they are bad tubes.

Greg

Comment

I've seen the blue glass ones in the web stores.
                          I bet they look cool heated up.
                          They look dark in a combo amp, unless you look close or there's some backlight of some kind, the blue doesn't really show. On the JCM 800 it looked dark/gray when heated. Different from the mercury vapor tubes out there, straight out of star trek
                          Valvulados

Comment

They look dark in a combo amp, unless you look close or there's some backlight of some kind, the blue doesn't really show. On the JCM 800 it looked dark/gray when heated. Different from the mercury vapor tubes out there, straight out of star trek
                            Unless they do something real special, I'll stick with the Plain ones.
                            They get an extra $10 a pair for the blue glass.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Unless they do something real special, I'll stick with the Plain ones.
                              They get an extra $10 a pair for the blue glass.
                              T
                              I know that the 34L instead of L34 designation means it's a more rugged tube. But I know nothing about the color of the glass, if it's a protection against some radiation, or UV blocking, or for some special application and so on. If it's just aesthetics then the 10 bucks are not worth it, unless of course it had blinking leds and a revolving mirror globe behind the tube.
                              Valvulados

Comment

I know that the 34L instead of L34 designation means it's a more rugged tube. But I know nothing about the color of the glass, if it's a protection against some radiation, or UV blocking, or for some special application and so on. If it's just aesthetics then the 10 bucks are not worth it, unless of course it had blinking leds and a revolving mirror globe behind the tube.
                                And, Don't forget the BeeGee's singing!
                                Bee Gees - You Should Be Dancing - YouTube
                                B_T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X