Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    And, Don't forget the BeeGee's singing!
    Bee Gees - You Should Be Dancing - YouTube
    B_T
    Hihihi. Hadn't thought of them, but they fit in perfect with the blue tubes
    Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
      Hihihi. Hadn't thought of them, but they fit in perfect with the blue tubes
      Roger That Houston!
      And, Yes I did have to listen to the whole thing!
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Has anyone tried the TAD EL34B-STR Tubes.
        If half as good as the TAD Tall bottle 6L6, they should be good.
        Supposed to be a Modern day Mullard Clone?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I have the Ruby branded version in a Traynor custom reverb. Haven't really used to amp since it was rebuilt so I can't comment. I think I have them in my Traynor YBA3 that I use for bass too. Haven't logged alot of hours on it since changing from EH EL34s, but they've been fine for the couple of gigs done on them.

Just for reference, the TAD you speak of is the same as the Ruby EL34b-str and the come from the Shuguang factory in China. You can tell the Shugs a mile away from the larger bottle.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
            I have the Ruby branded version in a Traynor custom reverb. Haven't really used to amp since it was rebuilt so I can't comment. I think I have them in my Traynor YBA3 that I use for bass too. Haven't logged alot of hours on it since changing from EH EL34s, but they've been fine for the couple of gigs done on them.

Just for reference, the TAD you speak of is the same as the Ruby EL34b-str and the come from the Shuguang factory in China. You can tell the Shugs a mile away from the larger bottle.
            Thanks.
            The Tall bottle 6L6s are really big also.
            I have them in my Traynor ycs50.
            Larger than other tall bottle 6L6s I have.
            I can get the TADs from Mojo, they don't carry the Ruby version.
            I try to buy from Mojo, when I order Pickup parts.
            I have the EH34s, don't care for them much in my 2204 clone.
            The JJ34Ls sound better.
            T
            Terry

Comment

The EH always were a solid performer in my YBA3. I had to rob them for a Friday "gotta be done by gig time" repair. It does run pretty high plate supply....coulda had something to do with getting decent tone from them....
              The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

It is amusing to read the statements about the sonic and parameter differences between tubes that all come from the exact production line using the same people and testing, the only difference is box and printing on the glass. If you buy 2000 lots you can get free labeling on your Shaguang tubes also. I did.
                I think the only two differences between any of them is the testing after shipment to the distributor and the advertising. I know about how Ruby tests and a few others and had good luck with their's being pretty consistent for my large volume shop when I still lived in the US. But they are the same tubes as dozens of other brands. The worst, for testing, in my personal experience was GT. That was based on reliability, the concern for a shop, more than sound since the only criteria for sound was if the customer liked it when a repair was finished.
                The differences in perceived sonic qualities is sort of baffling to me, tubes are but a part of a complex interaction between many variables that are never controlled tightly tests, in what is termed a guitar amplifier. Saying one is sweeter sounding or having more bottom is sort of useless unless all the variables that impact that are controlled to identify what if anything can be attributed to the tubes. Maybe giving a full set of measured test parameters for an amp, speakers, acoustic environment and guitar/guitarist could be more revealing when describing the combination of all those things which impact the sound as much or more than any tube could. Moving a foot off axis of the speaker will change the sound more than functioning tubes will. As will strings. As will playing style and technique. As will acoustic space. Etc etc. In highly controlled listening tests, perceived differences tend to evaporate.
                If you find a tube brand you like with a warranty, price and longevity you like, get them. But recommending it to someone else might not be such a plus for their setup and operating conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
                  It is amusing to read the statements about the sonic and parameter differences between tubes that all come from the exact production line using the same people and testing, the only difference is box and printing on the glass. If you buy 2000 lots you can get free labeling on your Shaguang tubes also. I did.
                  I think the only two differences between any of them is the testing after shipment to the distributor and the advertising. I know about how Ruby tests and a few others and had good luck with their's being pretty consistent for my large volume shop when I still lived in the US. But they are the same tubes as dozens of other brands. The worst, for testing, in my personal experience was GT. That was based on reliability, the concern for a shop, more than sound since the only criteria for sound was if the customer liked it when a repair was finished.
                  The differences in perceived sonic qualities is sort of baffling to me, tubes are but a part of a complex interaction between many variables that are never controlled tightly tests, in what is termed a guitar amplifier. Saying one is sweeter sounding or having more bottom is sort of useless unless all the variables that impact that are controlled to identify what if anything can be attributed to the tubes. Maybe giving a full set of measured test parameters for an amp, speakers, acoustic environment and guitar/guitarist could be more revealing when describing the combination of all those things which impact the sound as much or more than any tube could. Moving a foot off axis of the speaker will change the sound more than functioning tubes will. As will strings. As will playing style and technique. As will acoustic space. Etc etc. In highly controlled listening tests, perceived differences tend to evaporate.
                  If you find a tube brand you like with a warranty, price and longevity you like, get them. But recommending it to someone else might not be such a plus for their setup and operating conditions.
                  I'm glad your amused.
                  It may be Placebo and Sugar pill, who knows.
                  You have your opinions on tubes, and we have ours.
                  That is what this thread is for, to state which reissue tube you like best!
                  So why don't we leave it at that.
                  If a guy wants to like one product better than another, that is human nature.
                  So preaching to us, is not going to change anything.
                  I still want to try the TAD EL34Bs.
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 08-13-2012, 11:49 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

Stan has a point though, why would you waste time agonizing over differences between two tubes that are actually the same?

There are only four actual tube manufacturers: JJ, Sovtek, Shuguang and Winged C. For all we know, they just reuse the same guts and a Sovtek "Tung-Sol" is electrically identical to a Sovtek "Mullard".

The coloured glass tubes are purely for show.
                    Last edited by Steve Conner; 08-14-2012, 10:09 AM.
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Speaking of colored glass, which sometimes costs more, also reduced plate dissipation since these receiving tubes with evacuated glass envelopes rely on radiation through clear glass for cooling to their rated dissipation. We could calculate the change in bulb temperature for various color tints. These tubes have a hard enough life as it is without thermally overloading them.

When talking about reliability of old designs and the tubes used in them, most people ignore that the tubes are being subjected to different signals with now a very high duty cycle. When those classic amps were new, and the old RCAs were used, playing clean dominated playing style so it was common to get years of use out of a set of tubes. If run as their design power and conditions, some of the newer tubes like the SED Wing -C- probably are actually tougher. They sure are more expensive. Here they go by their real name, Svetlana, instead of the Mike Mathews fake Svetlana's. Unfortunately production of receiving tubes at the local plant is spotty at best and an afterthought. They have 19 other divisions making everything from semiconductors to large power tubes. I like the build and longevity of their KT-88s and 6550's, and they make tough EL-34b with a different plate resistance than the original EL34. They are a great match to the Hammond xformers.
                      If power tubes were considered in total tube production there are probably 30-50 companies making BIG tubes, some with grid drive rating of 20KW.
                      I like to test various tubes that show up on my bench by doing a characteristic curved plot of them, 10 grid steps or so, with anode sweeping to 600 or more volts on my curve tracer. Without looking at the label you can tell instantly who made what by their curves.

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
                        Speaking of colored glass, which sometimes costs more, also reduced plate dissipation since these receiving tubes with evacuated glass envelopes rely on radiation through clear glass for cooling to their rated dissipation. We could calculate the change in bulb temperature for various color tints. These tubes have a hard enough life as it is without thermally overloading them.

When talking about reliability of old designs and the tubes used in them, most people ignore that the tubes are being subjected to different signals with now a very high duty cycle. When those classic amps were new, and the old RCAs were used, playing clean dominated playing style so it was common to get years of use out of a set of tubes. If run as their design power and conditions, some of the newer tubes like the SED Wing -C- probably are actually tougher. They sure are more expensive. Here they go by their real name, Svetlana, instead of the Mike Mathews fake Svetlana's. Unfortunately production of receiving tubes at the local plant is spotty at best and an afterthought. They have 19 other divisions making everything from semiconductors to large power tubes. I like the build and longevity of their KT-88s and 6550's, and they make tough EL-34b with a different plate resistance than the original EL34. They are a great match to the Hammond xformers.
                        If power tubes were considered in total tube production there are probably 30-50 companies making BIG tubes, some with grid drive rating of 20KW.
                        I like to test various tubes that show up on my bench by doing a characteristic curved plot of them, 10 grid steps or so, with anode sweeping to 600 or more volts on my curve tracer. Without looking at the label you can tell instantly who made what by their curves.
                        None of this has anything to do with the OP.
                        You just love to jump in a post and turn it all into something else, Ususally about the test bench of Stan!
                        So back to the OP, I guess you don't have a favorite EL34?
                        I still think I will Try the TAD EL34B-STR.
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

As a newbie, I have been following this lively and energetic discussion for a little while. Thought I'd let you know I appreciate all the comments.

I have tried only two brands of EL34s. EH came in my Crate V50 (laugh, DIYers, but it is my first tube amp and has brought a bunch of larnin' with it!), and recently I replaced them with a pair of JJ EL34s. The boxes that the JJs came in were stickered with a number that indicated a fairly early breakup. I'm not sure at what point they were tested and marked, but they have changed what was a fairly clinical-sounding power section into a warm, bluesy amp, even on the clean channel. These were the only tubes available locally besides the GT tubes at Guitar Center, which I'd prefer to stay away from.
                          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                            As a newbie, I have been following this lively and energetic discussion for a little while. Thought I'd let you know I appreciate all the comments.

I have tried only two brands of EL34s. EH came in my Crate V50 (laugh, DIYers, but it is my first tube amp and has brought a bunch of larnin' with it!), and recently I replaced them with a pair of JJ EL34s. The boxes that the JJs came in were stickered with a number that indicated a fairly early breakup. I'm not sure at what point they were tested and marked, but they have changed what was a fairly clinical-sounding power section into a warm, bluesy amp, even on the clean channel. These were the only tubes available locally besides the GT tubes at Guitar Center, which I'd prefer to stay away from.
                            Thanks for getting back to OP, which is what EL34 do you like or don't like.
                            I must have the JJs on the opposite end of the spectrum.
                            Mine really have to be pushed to breakup, in my 2204.
                            Thanks,
                            Terry
                            Terry

Comment

I've been through about 100 EH EL34s in past eighteen months or so. I buy them in batches of 40-ish from a wholesaler. None of these have come back to me with failures, so it might be that Sovtek/EH have improved their reliability.

I wish I could find a good reliable source for new-manufacture Shuguang EL34s in small wholesale quantities, I'd definitely give them a go, but too many UK wholesalers try to sell you job lots of old chinese tubes, I think because the market won't stand high prices for them.

Tonally? No idea , sorry. Any repairer will soon start prioritising reliability as a quality of tubes. I used to fit JJ EL84s but too many came back to me, no such problem with the 6p14p I now use.

Comment

I've been using JJ EL34's for over a year now, with NO comebacks. HOWEVER..... one thing I've learned to do is to "massage" the old formula i.e. biasing ever-so-slightly cold and limiting screen current by upping the usual value to 2.2K/5W. Purists say that it changes the tone and feel. It doesn't. The only effect is that it will allow the tubes to last longer by not developing premature screen grid shorts. This goes DOUBLE for Chinese tubes. Haven't had the customers complain about sound yet with JJ.
                                John R. Frondelli
                                dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
                                X