Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi JIm,

Fancy meeting you here!

I'm looking through my hard drive for relevant files, and haven't found anything that directly addresses your needs. What particular application are we looking at? Chorus? Flanger? Slapback?

Comment

hi mark,
      yea, i'm beginning to get around some. <g>

not really specific yet, i picked up a rat shack reverb i was thinking of playing around with, and my son in law's old mxr analog echo is dieing. i have a buttload of mn3007's left over from the clone theory project, so i figured i'd try and put some to use...i looked at the pinouts of both chips, and see some similarities, and some differences...

but too much of a newb to really be able to understand it all, i guess. i take it it will end up being application specific?

i'd LOVE to build a ross flanger clone, definitely...on vero (yes, i'm insane, but hey, that's how i like to roll!!)

it seems from my research it's the same as an mxr, but that too uses the sad 1024... i figure since the 3007 is a 1024 stage device, it should be doable.

man...i think i opened a can of worms here!! lol

appreciate the help tho my friend!

Comment

It might be more productive to take this back over to the Stompbox forum, then.

As for attempting to sub in MN3007s for SAD1024s to get a green MXR Analog Delay going, that may be more trouble than it's worth. A much worthier use of the MN3007 would be one of the redesigns of the A/DA Flanger. Just an absolute kickass unit with sweep that just seems to keep going and going and going. Much more distinctive version of that category of effect than the MXR green delay is of its category. I do have some files about adapting a PT2399 to sub in the Analog Delay, though, if you're interested.

Comment

am i confusing the ada for the mxr flanger? whichever one is the same as the ross has me VERY interested!!

i would like to try and fix the green delay for the kid, but i dunno if it's gonna be worth it. i tweaked the trimmers in it, got a little bit more life out of it for now...there was no delay above about an open g string, now you can hear it up to about the 12th fret of the high e.

i would definitely appreciate any info on the analog delay tho, definitely!! thanks mark!

Comment

No, you are correct. The Ross is a hommage to the MXR. (One of these days I would like to know more about the odd relationship between MXR and Ross, and why so many of their products are essentially the same). I sold my own MXR flanger almost 30 years ago because I found it rather unmusical. The A/DA is a much better design IMHO. I'm confident the MN3007 could be readily adapted to the MXR circuit, though. The thing to keep in mind is that the SAD1024 is two 512-stage circuits that can be run in parallel or series. The MXR flanger appears to runs them in series. If you have a schematic, you'll see that pins 5 and 6, that are the complementary outputs of the 'A' channel are fed to pin 15, which is the input pin of the 'B' channel. Since two different input pins are used, what you'll also see is that the bias trimmer feeds both of those pins with the DC bias voltage. An MN3007 will only have one input pin with the bias voltage only going there.

I think it would be useful to you to start a stompbox forum thread on adapting the MXR-117 to an MN3007. Wouldn't surprise me at all if folks had already sussed that one out and could direct you to a vero layout or redraw already posted.

Comment

I used to get them from radio shack.
              Also try New Sensor, the 1024 was used in a bunch of Electro Harmonix pedals.

Comment

There are assorted audio devices out there that were produced during that brief period between the release of 1024-stage BBDs and 4096-stage BBDs like the MN3005 and SAD4096. Those devices can have 2, 3, or 4 SAD1024s in them. Now, whether the individual feels that it is worth sacrificing an earlier-issue MXR Analog Delay pedal or SWTP ambience generator for the sake of saving/building a few Electric Mistresses, well that's a decision I leave up to them.

Comment

I have put in the RFQ, to deliver a bunch of these 1024's. I hope I can get 100 of them.
                  Thanks for reminding me that the world has run out. We are going to need more.
                  It's funny that radio shack used to have hoards of them. Now I can't get a one.

Comment

While they are great chips, increasingly, the broader community has devised ways to get chips which ARE still available (the V3207 and BL3207) to do the same tricks. And if one takes care to condition the clock pulse appropriately, they very often can do the same tricks. The SAD1024 just does them more easily without need for additional circuitry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                      While they are great chips, increasingly, the broader community has devised ways to get chips which ARE still available (the V3207 and BL3207) to do the same tricks. And if one takes care to condition the clock pulse appropriately, they very often can do the same tricks. The SAD1024 just does them more easily without need for additional circuitry.
                      It actually is a pretty cool chip. Hope to find more somewhere...

Comment

i'm more interested in learning to adapt other chips...guess i'm weird.

seems to me, gonna pay thru the nose for the original, and they're all likely to fail, and god knows how many that are left are even gonna be useful, ya know?

Comment

I've got a small handful (single digits), collected and scavenged over the years, but they are reserved for very special uses. A buddy in town with a busy and respected studio came to me in desperate need of a pair to resurrect an Audio & Design S24 "SCAMP" Time Shape Module/ADT. ( Audio & Design (Recording) Ltd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) Something with a lineage like that you just have to respect, so I sold him the pair.

Comment

Hello,

I need a SAD 1024 for my vintage Electro Harmonix Flanger. Doea anyone still have any for sale?

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by Ramious View Post
                              Hello,

I need a SAD 1024 for my vintage Electro Harmonix Flanger. Doea anyone still have any for sale?

Best regards
                              Far as I know, there are only fake ones for sale...
                              all searches have turned up negatory.

Comment

ebay. that's about the only place you can find them, but make sure they're from a solid seller and a 5 star 100% rep.
                                and make sure there's a return clause.

check diystompboxes.com, there are things you can do... and a limited number of them out there. the chip may not be bad, and if it is, it may only be the first half of it, you may be able to adapt another more common bbd to it.

but...forget finding the sads. hen's tooth. i was lucky to get one, and had it for about a year before i used it in my ross flanger. hard to find, but worth it.

but like i said, make sure you can return it if it's defective so ya don't get screwed,

i would start by replacing ALL the electros in the flanger, and check the trimmers to make sure they aren't outta wack. there should be one that's a mix of dry and wet, one that biases the chip into a working range, and one that sets the clock. the one that bias the chip and the clock trimmer are the ones to mess with. if the bias is off, you'll get no wet. sometimes just adjusting that one stupid trimmer is enough to bring it back to life.

happy researching man!

Comment

Working...
                                X