No announcement yet.

Reticon SAD 1024 needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If someone is looking for SAD1024A IC you can contact me via PM or buy via Ebay:
    Rare Vintage Reticon SAD1024A BBD IC (ADA EHX MXR ROLAND) | eBay

If the Ebay add is not available anymore, please contact me via PM.
    Direct sale I will sell it for Eur 50,00 each.
    Will ship worldwide, packaged very carefully!

Comment

My Ebay ad is changed:

If someone is looking for SAD1024A IC you can contact me via PM or buy via Ebay:
      Rare Vintage Reticon SAD1024A BBD IC (ADA EHX MXR ROLAND) | eBay

You can also buy directly (*), then prices are:
      - Eur 50,00 - 1 piece
      - Eur 45,00 - 2 pieces
      - Eur 40,00 - 3 or more pieces

* Payment via Paypal, excluding transaction costs / or using "friendly" payment

If the Ebay add is not available anymore, please contact me via PM.
      Will ship worldwide, packaged very carefully!

Comment

My Ebay ad is relisted:
        http://www.ebay.nl/itm/271815345352

See positive feedback for these IC's:
        http://feedback.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI...2&userid=d-org

Comment

News:
          I now have the ability to test the IC's. So we're sure the IC is working before shipment.

Ebay ad is relisted:
          Rare Vintage Reticon SAD1024A BBD IC - TESTED - (ADA EHX MXR ROLAND) | eBay

See positive feedback for these IC's:
          Feedbackprofiel van d-org

Comment

News:
            Still have a bunch of these, so I lowered the price. Tested before shipment.

You can also buy directly (*), then prices are:
            - Eur 45,00 - 1 piece
            - Eur 40,00 - 2 pieces
            - Eur 35,00 - 3 or more pieces

* Payment via Paypal using "friendly" payment, or transaction costs added.

Ebay ad is relisted:
            Rare Vintage Reticon SAD1024A BBD IC - TESTED - (ADA EHX MXR ROLAND) | eBay

Let me know if you have any questions...

Comment

I realise this is late in the day, but I have found a source of BBD chips. Reticon SAD 512 & 1024 as well as Philips TDA1022 are no longer made. Panasonic made a couple of families of BBD (MN310X and MN320X), but they stopped making them. Someone (can't remember who) bought the manufacturing machinery off Panasonic, and they continued making BBDs for their own effects pedals. That 'someone' was then taken over by Truetone, AND THEY STILL MAKE THEM! I'm in the process of buying a load of MN3102 and MN3207 chips from them right now. They are asking about $1.65 each for them. Try your luck at support@truetone.com

Comment

The MN32xx are inferior low-voltage parts and are not compatible with circuits that use the MN30xx or SAD chips...

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Florist View Post
                  I realise this is late in the day, but I have found a source of BBD chips. Reticon SAD 512 & 1024 as well as Philips TDA1022 are no longer made. Panasonic made a couple of families of BBD (MN310X and MN320X), but they stopped making them. Someone (can't remember who) bought the manufacturing machinery off Panasonic, and they continued making BBDs for their own effects pedals. That 'someone' was then taken over by Truetone, AND THEY STILL MAKE THEM! I'm in the process of buying a load of MN3102 and MN3207 chips from them right now. They are asking about $1.65 each for them. Try your luck at support@truetone.com

As far as I understood form RG Keen de Visual Sound BBD's (As Truetone used to be called) were Visual Sound labelled devices made by Shanghai Belling. Never ever was there any mention of having their own production capability and frankly I do not see how a semicon fab can be bought off. Anyone who is a little into the semiconductor manuafacturing process knows it's not a matter of buying "a machine".
                  Refrerring to MN32xx's as inferior is hearsay crap. Lower operating voltage means lower headroom.

Comment

There is apparently a firm which recently purchased the dies for MN3005 chips from Panasonic and is making them once again. Not cheap, though (Small Bear is carrying them for somewhere in the neighbourhood of $22@).

Coolaudio (whose relationship to Behringer is unclear to me, but Behringer relies on their chips) makes an MN3205 clone as well as MN3207 clones.

About the MN30xx vs 32xx chips....

One of the requirements of BBDs is that the audio signal ride in on a DC voltage. The DC voltage is generally provided as a divided-down version of V+. That's not an issue. The problem was that, 30 years back, most players were still powering pedals with batteries such that as the battery aged, the bias voltage would drift from optimal and audio quality would decline (biasing a little higher or lower gets you a distorted delay signal).

The solution adopted was to provide onboard regulation to yield a stable bias voltage that was good for the life of the pedal. Cheap 3-pin regulators require an input of at least 2vdc more than they are intended to output. So the BBDs were redesigned to be able to run off 5VDC, with a bias just below that. To get 5VDC from the regulator you need at least 7VDC going in. A 9V battery will be able to provide that for a while. By the time the battery approaches 7V, there is probably so little current capability left anyway, that audio will suffer even if a BBD was not involved.

The MN32xx series WILL run off higher than 5v, but that doesn't really changing the headroom of the BBD itself; primarily the audio path around it. Legend is that the redesigned MN32xx series is a little noisier than the 30xx series, but my sense is that it stems more from the redesign than from the change in supply voltage.

Of course, just about everybody uses a power supply these days, rather than a battery, so the concerns over bias-drift have become pretty well moot. If you have a stable 9V supply, there is nothing wrong with powering an MN32xx chip with 9V, and dividing that 9V down to get the bias.

Comment

Hooboy.

5 years ago, I'd have worried about parts scarcity.

Nowadays, I'd figure how hard it would be to shoehorn a microcontroller-based audio delay into a stompbox.
                      You'd sample 10-bits ADC at 32kHz and save 100 ms in 6Kbyte RAM, enough for a flanger or phaser.

Yup. Heresy, I know.

-drh
                      "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Working...
                      X