crybaby problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crybaby problems

I took apart my crybaby tonight because I wanted to switch a few things around after modding it a while back. I did the true bypass, gain resistor, vocal resistor, low range cap, and mid boost resistor mods found at this page, and also removed the buffer circuit last time. This time I wanted to replace the gain resistor with the original value, and switch to a different model of cap for the low range. When I went to test it out tonight, it was dead! Signal passed through when the effect was turned off, but not when on. I tried a good battery, made sure that it was powered, but with no luck. I'm a beginner at electronics - any advice? What should I check first? Help!!

I've tried desoldering and resoldering the parts and even the switch that I put in, with no luck. If I plug the cords into the wrong jacks, it does let some sound through when engaged, but it's kind of a backward volume pedal rather than a wah. I've tried testing for voltage between the ground wire and about every connection on the board. I'm stumped. Any advice how I should go about troubleshooting this? How much would I have to pay someone to figure it out for me if I don't prove to be capable?

Comment

You could dig in deeper and buy a replacement board at BYOC. Either a) bad component, b) bad solder joint, c) mis-wire.

Comment

Sorry, Andreas from the website emailed me and I never updated this thread on the board. Turns out it was something simple - I had the wrong value in there for the resistor. I put a 390k in instead of 390ohm.

Comment

which model Crybaby and how old? I have a new "standard" model that I bought a couple replacement boards for so I could test mods. Only about $20on eBay for each of the boards. I also bought a replacement board (more $'s) for the "Jimi Hendrix" model, but it turns out the only difference is one cap's value.....

I've also been playing with both a red and a yellow Fasel inductor..so far, the red seems to be the one I prefer (clearer sounding). Sounds GREAT in the hendrix board.

Comment

I also left the buffer inplace.....from what I've read, there's no great advantage to removing it.

Comment

I don't know exactly how old. I bought it off of a friend, the board is green on both sides, if that says anything. How big of a difference does the inductor make on the overall sound of the wah? Is it subtle, or drastic?
              BTW, I had to chuckle when I saw that the Hendrix wah costs more. I read that about the only difference being that one cap when I was studying up on mine. I did change that cap, and I like it better with the .022.

Comment

I wanted to have the board around to play-with......but that certainly IS an expensive cap at $17....

The inductor change does seem to make it clearer, but maybe not worth it in a stage situation.

Comment

Actually, the right inductor makes a massive difference and especially in a live situation. The halo inductor found in the Clyde McCoy Wah pedals were really a holy grail. I have made a lot of halo inductors and all my customers agree that their wah pedals become the pedal they have been looking for all along.
                  sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

This site may help http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castl...enfuz/wah.html I used it to do my mods. I would start 1st by checking the switch with a continuity meter to make sure you have it wired right. hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman2812 View Post
                      This site may help http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castl...enfuz/wah.html I used it to do my mods. I would start 1st by checking the switch with a continuity meter to make sure you have it wired right. hope this helps
                      I actually fixed this quite a while ago. It turned out to be a resistor that I had misread, i.e. 270k instead of 270 ohm. Thanks, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X