Boss GT-10 repair (tactile switches)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT-10 repair (tactile switches)

I'm working on a Boss GT-10 at the moment. The problem is defective tactile switches. The unit looks to have been exposed to moisture. Some of the switches are frozen. The unit fully works otherwise, so it's worth fixing. These are the switches under the pedals. The problem is where to get replacement switches. As you can see in the photo, it's a rather ordinary looking switch, however, the plunger is rubber. I think this rubber is to absorb any pressure from the pedal. There are plenty of options out there, but none have the rubber plunger. Any of you know where to look for this? Thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Boss tactile switch.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	913404

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/278...itch-for-me-50
    Call Full Compass to verify that the ME 50 switch is the same. (it appears to be)
    They can provide delivery info at that time.

Comment

Jazz P bass,
      Thank you for your thoughts. Indeed, I already know the tactile switch for the ME 50 is the same as the GT-10. I also found that Full Compass usually has these in stock, but they are out of stock at the moment. I called them and left a message, and have not yet heard back from them. I called to find out if they can get more, and how long it would take. In the meantime, my hope was that someone here on this forum could steer me to some other source.

Comment

Try cleaning with alcohol? I'd look at AliExpress, they may have something.

Comment

Mozz, these tactile switches are far beyond cleaning with alcohol! They are rusted solid!....I checked AliExpress...they have a heap of tactile switches, however, none with a rubber plunger.

Comment

The entire plunger is rubber? Wouldn't it bend? Have you tried to pull the plunger off? Maybe a plastic plunger and a rubber dot or foot where it touches?
            There are a few 2 pin switches here, i would email and ask if they have any soft or rubber plunger/actuator
            https://www.gangyuantech.com/tactile-switch_c6

pictures of 2 pin
            https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...91c04227f9954f

Comment

I had a similar problem with a Behringer unit - I could not find a switch with the correct plunger height. So - I bought some new switches with the correct footprint, carefully removed the plunger cover and plunger, installed the old plunger and very, very carefully epoxied the original plunger cover back on. I did seven switches and had to redo one. The y worked fine. I used switches from ebay, I'm sure the they are not the best but they do work. Mine were 4 pin. I ordered 2 pin like yours for a Digitech pedal I'm working on.

Comment

Howz about?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	l_alps - skhvbjd010.gif
Views:	595
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	914968

Comment

Mozz, that looks correct....is the plunger rubber? I think that is important.

Comment

Oldjim, I have done crazy stuff like what you suggest. I may be forced to somehow remove the rubber plunger from the old switch, and install it to a new switch. I'll consider this as a last resort. Superglue may be best. It's amazing glue and I have used it for many repairs with never a failure.

Comment

The ones I worked on had a small post in each corner that projected through holes on the top. Then the top of the post was heated was heated to form a small mushroom to hold the top plate on. Very easy to cut the mushroom off with an exacto knife. I used two part epoxy because I was afraid that something thinner would run under the top plate and glue the plunger to the top plate. I applied the epoxy to the edge of the top plate and the very top part of the side of the switch, then dabbed a small amount on the top of the post nubs that were left. If you use a gel super glue you might get away with just doing the post nubs. All of the pressure on the switch should downward so no stress should be exerted on the repair.The thing is, I don't do this for a living. I'm 74, retired and work on this stuff for fun. Your time to do this type of repair is probably worth more than the GT-10 is worth.

Comment

Don't know if it's rubber but 10/$1. Made by Alps so you should be able to get a datasheet. skhvbjd010
                        http://electronicsupplycorp.com/cont...tch.html#p6815

Comment

Working...
                        X