Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A „Vox-Wah“ project, some circuit analysis and measuring results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
    Vox Wah OS/158

Click image for larger version  Name:	wah_os158.jpg Views:	4 Size:	515.2 KB ID:	927090

https://www.voxsupreme.org.uk/vox_wah_wah_pedals_1967.html

Vox Wah OS / 158 uses inductor 0.25H (1/4 H)
    Interesting from a historical POV. Seems this version didn't stand the test of time.

The 0.25H inductor with the 10nF cap will shift the frequency range from 440Hz/2.2kHz to 640Hz/3.2kHz.

Also interesting the log pot and the pnp transistors.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-22-2021, 04:37 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      Interesting from a historical POV. Seems this version has not stood the test of time.

The 0.25H inductor with the 10nF cap will shift the frequency range from 440Hz/2.2kHz to 640Hz/3.2kHz.

Also interesting the log pot and the pnp transistors
      Frequency range 640Hz / 3.2kHz goes more in HiMid.
      Maybe should try how wah “by ear” sounds with a 1H inductor.
      It's All Over Now

Comment

Frequency range 640Hz / 3.2kHz goes more in HiMid.
        Maybe should try how wah “by ear” sounds with a 1H inductor.
        It is easier to vary the feedback capacitor value, as in the Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q.
        For me the range from 440Hz to 2.2kHz is optimal to get the Hendrix sound.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It is easier to vary the feedback capacitor value, as in the Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q.
          For me the range from 440Hz to 2.2kHz is optimal to get the Hendrix sound.
          2.2kHz will be obtained both with 1H and 4.7nF, the only question is how the LC (XL, XC) ratio will affect the sound.
          It's All Over Now

Comment

2.2kHz will be obtained both with 1H and 4.7nF, the only question is how the LC (XL, XC) ratio will affect the sound.
            A higher L/C ratio means higher impedance and thus especially a higher bass peak. But resonant Q will be lower.
            (In simulation the effect on peak height was small but Q dropped from 12 to 8.)
            The height of the bass peak strongly depends on the DCR of the inductor.

I have experimented with 0.65H/8.2nF but I think I like the 0.5H/10nF combo best.
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-23-2021, 03:23 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Schaller Wau-Wau Yoy-Yoy a dual-inductor wah

https://www.tonehome.de/schaller-electronic/yoi-yoi-bow-wow/

https://www.fingers-welt.de/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9568 1)

Click image for larger version  Name:	file.php?id=26352.gif Views:	0 Size:	12.1 KB ID:	927151 Click image for larger version  Name:	367839-BowWowYoyYoy-gif.gif Views:	0 Size:	8.8 KB ID:	927152 Click image for larger version  Name:	schaller_wow-wow_sch.pdf_1.png Views:	0 Size:	3.3 KB ID:	927153
              Last edited by vintagekiki; 03-22-2021, 05:45 PM. Reason: 1)
              It's All Over Now

Comment

Yes, I remember those. Had Schaller and Höfner wahs in the 70s (couldn't find/afford the real thing).
                Never had a use for the second resonance Yoy-Yoy effect.

Looking at the schematics, I think the added gain stage followed by a voltage divider at the output makes no sense.
                It might produce a little unpleasant transistor distortion, though.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-22-2021, 09:46 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I played around with the "Q" control of a Dunlop 535Q wah and must say that I found it quite useful to lower the bass peak height and Q, when the wah is connected to an overdrive or distortion pedal.
                  So the addition of a variable resistance in series with a low DCR inductor like a Dunlop red Fasel seems to be a good idea (much more so than a variable parallel resistance).

Here is an excerpt from the 535Q manual (note recommendations for variable Q settings):

Attached Files
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Don't understand what you mean.
                    I designed some inductors early in my job and know the basics (and a little more).
                    The Q of the inductor is vastly different from the Q of the resonant circuit:
                    https://www.gitec-forum-eng.de/wp-co...E_Q-Factor.pdf

My post #68 above is about sound.
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-27-2021, 01:55 AM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

My post #68 above is about sound.
                      Post # 17 is about the Q factor of inductor, which is an integral part of most wah.
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

Post # 17 is about the Q factor of inductor, which is an integral part of most wah.
                        As said and explained earlier, the wah sound depends on the Q (width) and the impedance (height) of the resonance as well as the lowest and highest peak frequencies
                        The Q factor of the inductor is one influence among several others and it strongly depends on frequency.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

https://components101.com/articles/how-does-quality-factor-impact-the-performance-of-an-inductor

For the same frequency and the same inductance, the Q factor depends from the resistance. On the influence of resistance to Q factor post # 17

Click image for larger version

Name:	412767f646b0f04f150d9ac787532be70cf318ef.png
Views:	280
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	927587
                          It's All Over Now

Comment

For the same frequency and the same inductance, the Q factor depends from the resistance. On the influence of resistance to Q factor post # 17
                            I know, but it's not about the Q factor of the inductor but about the the Q of the resonance, which is a different story.
                            The Q-factor of the inductor, more exactly its ESR has some influence on the resonance Q and impedance, though.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I know, but it's not about the Q factor of the inductor but about the the Q of the resonance, which is a different story.
                              The Q-factor of the inductor, more exactly its ESR has some influence on the resonance Q and impedance, though.
                              Sorry, I'm free to ask.
                              It is known and I know what is the Q factor at inductor.
                              I don't understand the term "resonance Q" or "Q of the resonance"
                              ESR at inductor, coming with high frequencies (HF).

It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                              X