Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jen Crybaby - what's with the Vox soft bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jen Crybaby - what's with the Vox soft bag?

I've had this Wah for decades but it always puzzled me why the bag is printed up with the Vox logo. The guy I bought it off had it from new and insisted that he bought it like this. So, the question is - is this really original to the wah, or did the music shop just sell the pedal with a different bag they had lying around? Interestingly the pedal has the less-common green fasel inductor. This has been my 'keeper' pedal for all my band years and my reference pedal for what a good wah sounds like. I went through quite a few pedals over the 45 years I've been playing but once I got this I stopped buying.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PICT4423.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	923802 Click image for larger version  Name:	PICT4436.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	923803

The Vox bag looks original. Should have at least one of those somewhwere.

AFAIK, most early European Vox Wahs were made by the Jen factory/Italy and have a number of Italian components, esp. pot and caps.
    Will post a picture of my early 70s Vox Wah later, which looks almost identical.
    Your Wah is actually the first one I see that seems to have an original Fasel inductor. Could you verify?
    I would also like to know if the inductor has a toroidal core.
    Does it have the original ICAR pot?
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-30-2021, 03:43 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

As promised, picture of my early 70s Vox Wah. Original, except replaced pot, switch, battery clip and some wires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0330.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	662.0 KB
ID:	923807

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Found this in my basement and thought it was the old original one. But then I discovered the little tag inside saying MADE IN CHINA. So it must have come with a Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	731.3 KB
ID:	923887 later Vox V847 wah.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I just took a look at the pot and did a rough paper plot and it is an 'S' taper. I've never replaced it and the solder joints are original. Markings are B4 811 6678 100K 583894. Whilst it's a 100k pot, it actually measures 194K. The Fasel green inductor is original but I can't confirm whether it has a toroidal core as the casing is glued together. My case doesn't say made in China but it looks to be the same. I can't think when I bought the pedal/case, but it's certainly before stuff started to come in from China.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
            I just took a look at the pot and did a rough paper plot and it is an 'S' taper. I've never replaced it and the solder joints are original. Markings are B4 811 6678 100K 583894. Whilst it's a 100k pot, it actually measures 194K.
            Thanks for your answers.

I have my own idea about the origin of the S-taper often found in wah pots and the increased resistance seems to confirm it. I will explain in my Vox wah thread at a later point.

The Fasel green inductor is original but I can't confirm whether it has a toroidal core as the casing is glued together.
            Does it say Fasel on the inductor case?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I x-rayed a few wah inductors. The Fasels are contemporary replacements.

img019.pdf
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
              X