Boss PS-2 weak effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss PS-2 weak effect

I got a Boss PS-2 that seems to have a weak effect signal. The bypass is fine, as the is the bypass in the mix, but the effect seems awfully soft. In the case of the octaves, it is *almost* inaudible. I would lean toward a cap issue if they were the electrolytic aluminums. The pedal also doesn't work on a power supply at all, only on battery. I'm guessing the jack is shunted somehow since the positive battery line even runs through the power jack, but shouldn't be related to the weak signal.

schematic attached
    Are you trying with 9V regulated, tip negative power supply?
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yeah I am.

Comment

Why not fix that first then. If nothing else it will save you batteries while testing.
        The switch in the DC jack must be working or someone hardwired it. Check for broken pads/traces at the jack itself.
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That is what I attempt to fix first. It was more of a side-note in case it could have indicated a popular problem with an incorrect power supply or something. I just figured I'd make the post and while waiting on ideas for the weak effect I'll look at the power issue. The positive of the battery goes directly to it so something must be shunting when plugged in.

Comment

Took care of the power issue. The ground from the jack goes to an external board with the LED. The board screw was loose which is what grounds the line to the enclosure. Tightened up the screw (after blowing the LED first, wire must've been sandwiched in) and good-to-go. Now the effect is still weak, and I think there might be degradation also, but I really can't tell. I'm still thinking a cap issue but...

Comment

Originally posted by stevenrb718 View Post
              Took care of the power issue. The ground from the jack goes to an external board with the LED.
              Then the schematic I posted is not a match. Do you have a correct schematic for your unit?

Comment

No, that's the same schematic I've been trying to get some information from.

Comment

What is the serial # of the pedal?

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    What is the serial # of the pedal?
                    I'm not sure. The rubber has been removed from the bottom plate and took the serial sticker with it apparently.

Comment

Working...
                    X