Interesting Boss GE-10 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Boss GE-10 issue

Got a weird one here with a Boss GE-10. Pedal functions normally, except the input level switch works but audibly doesn't change anything. Probed points connected to the switch and they all increase and decrease with position of the switch. The problem is the level on the output at S12 is always the same. I'm not sure which side is specifically which, but when the switch is on the S11 side, it's the same output as S13. But they both change to the others' level when flipping the switch. I'm explaining it poorly, but when one side of the switch is engaged the signal comes down to the flat level, and when switched to the other, it comes up to the same level... so there's no change in the output. I must be missing something stupid but I can for the life of me see it.
    Boss-GE-10-Service-Manual.pdf

That is normal function, it compensates to give equal output. Look at #2 and 3 in the chart under 'procedure for checking'.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

So what's the point of the switch if it outputs at the same level?

Comment

I would guess it's like a pad on the input so you if you connect a line level device there you don't clip.
        The owners manual would probably be more specific, but I don't see one online.
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I found one but it's in Japanese, which I cannot read haha. So would it be an active pad where it only kicks in when it senses clipping? I'm just so confused by a line level adjustment that doesn't actually adjust the line input level lol.

Comment

It's not an active pad. It puts a pad at the input, but then boosts the output by the same amount, so you end up with equal amount of gain.

Comment

It's probable that at sensitive gain levels you might notice a change in "noise floor" or distortions due to input level dependent on switch position. In the most moderate usage circumstances I might expect the observations here. But the switch wasn't put there for no reason.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
              X