Box of rock clone, volume problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    The unit that has the sound that you like, what cap is it using there, 1uF or something else?
    if you are referring to the pic now there is a 47nf, the blue one

Comment

Originally posted by ricci View Post
      ​Hi everyone,​
      I compared it with another clone and with the same components, the clone sounds a little louder and with a little more of gain and also slightly fatter.
      This is the one I mean, what cap does it use?

Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        This is the one I mean, what cap does it use?
        If you are referring to the working clone, mount 1uF. But since I had that problem I started many times replacing it with new 1uF ones until I read about the 56nF, then after a reflow or other check, I put the 1uF back and so on

Comment

Originally posted by ricci View Post
          If we want to be honest, the jtm45 works exactly like this... in many Hendrix songs you can hear this sound, some time ago I didn't like it either but it depends on the genre you play and the playing
          Well I love Hendrix (saw him twice).
          In the early years he (as well as Clapton with Cream) used JTM45/100 heads.
          These amps used larger coupling caps and had more available bass than later lead Marshalls.

Apart from that, a few of your answers are not clear.
          E.g., how could we know what "working clone" means and how it differs from your other clones?
          The information you're providing looks confusing (changed Mosfets, different coupling caps, changing DC voltages, different signal levels between posts).
          I don't think I can help you any further.

One more advice: Scope and compare output signals, as mentioned earlier.
          If there's a difference it should show in the output signals.

You should have all it takes to find out what causes the difference.

Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-09-2023, 10:00 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Well I love Hendrix (saw him twice).
            In the early years he (as well as Clapton with Cream) used JTM45/100 heads.
            These amps used larger coupling caps and had more available bass than later lead Marshalls.

Apart from that, a few of your answers are not clear.
            E.g., how could we know what "working clone" means and how it differs from your other clones?
            The information you're providing looks confusing (changed Mosfets, different coupling caps, changing DC voltages, different signal levels between posts).
            I don't think I can help you any further.

One more advice: Scope and compare output signals, as mentioned earlier.
            If there's a difference it should show in the output signals.

You should have all it takes to find out what causes the difference.
            When I write "performing or working clone" I'm referring to the other clone I own that has much greater output volume than the one I built. Don't worry, I understand. I'll test the circuit on stripboard and check that it doesn't have the same problem, after which I think I'll take a well-deserved vacation ;-)

Comment

Just as information: with a 3-way switch I made an immediate comparison with three intact capacitors, 47nf, 1uf and 2.2nf.
              From 47n to 1uf, only a very slight increase in bass but the volume remains unchanged, with 2.2uf no difference with 1uf.​

Comment

The tone potentiometer is defective, the contact between the three terminals with the graphite or cermet layer is no longer guaranteed, in fact if I short circuit lug2 with lug 3, the output volume now equals that of the reference pedal.​
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X