This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok I'm downloading it now.
    BTW, I used to tell my kids, when they were younger. "if wishes were horses" etc. I'm sure it irritated the hell out of them.
    Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

• Everything seems to be working perfectly. Definitely one of the best software installation experiences I've had. Virtual XP still doesn't see the USB ports but I can easily connect through Linux and transfer files through the shared folder.
      Back when I first installed Linux on this computer (desktop), I had a lot of trouble finding the USB ports. I forget how I fixed it but it works now.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1568297580
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dmeek; 09-13-2019, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        How about zorin on one of your laptops?
        https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10575
        It is light on resources.
        I did a review, and it was snappy and easy to use.
        I reviewed it here, post 4.
        https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=48341
        T
        Thanks T. I'm using Zorin right now on my old Acer. So far I like it. I have Libuntu on the old Compaq. The OS seems about the same as Zorin. I never really liked that lapto though so probably won't use it. It seems to me that zorin, libuntu, and mint are all a lot like win xp which I always liked. I never did get used to any of the Win OS after xp.
        Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

• I'm running Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, v3.4.6, Kernel 4.13.0-42. Can I update to 20.04 without losing my settings and programs etc.?
          I've been using Linux for a few years but I'm still fairly clueless when it comes to the nuts and bolts of it.

Comment

• Can I update to 20.04 without losing my settings
            20.04 is Ubuntu, not Mint.
            The latest version of Mint is 19.3.
            19.3 is actually running off of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
            Mint is a Ubuntu rebranding, copy, change or improve type of thing.
            Mint is always way behind Ubuntu on what kernel, and software they are running.
            So I think the answer to your question would be no.
            You may could upgrade to 19.3, then maybe upgrade to their newer version, when it comes out?
            https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/07/...x-mint-19-easy
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

• OK, thanks. The reason I chose Cinnamon is that I didn't like the Unity desktop. Now that they're using Gnome I will probably like it more. I'll start setting up 20.04 on a separate hard drive.

Comment

• The new drive sounds good.
                This thread gives some tips on setting up a multi-boot HD for linux.
                You might want to look that over?
                https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=49505
                Also If you add 20.04, and get it running it is simple to add the Cinnamon desktop.
                after the desktop is added, then at bootup, you can select gnome or cinnamon.
                It will be something as simple as
                #apt install cinnamon
                I'm booted up on fedora right now, I will get back to you on the exact command.
                T
                ** root@Uprop2:/home/terry# apt install cinnamon
                That is the right command
                Last edited by big_teee; 04-25-2020, 10:24 PM.
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

• My favorite arrangement is the donut base distro. This works great if you use cinnamon fudge (spicy edition) on top of it. Mint is horrid, don't even think about it. To get the best out of it, go for sprinkles and eat warm.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...
                  Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

• I wanted to report that I upgraded Linux Fedora 31 to Fedora 32, on my Dell i5 laptop.
                    I upgraded without a hitch.
                    In the past, I've not had a lot of luck with upgrades, and because of that, I usually just do full install of the new Version of linux.
                    Fedora 33 will come out next month, and with the upgrade to 32, I will be able to upgrade to fedora 33.
                    The upgrade if it works, eliminates having to reload all my files, and do a lot of customizing.
                    Fedora 31 support expires in November, it won't let me upgrade from 31 to 33, so the interim 32 will fill the gap.
                    So far my go to linux, is Fedora workstation w/gnome desktop, and Ubuntu 20.04.
                    Fedora WS works out of the box, I have to modify Ubuntu to add the traditional gnome desktop, and I remove Snap, and SnapD from the OS.
                    Both Fedora and Ubuntu are Workhorse systems.
                    You may want to give one or both of them a try!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

• So since this thread was started in 2012?
                      I wonder what is your favorite Linux, and desktop?
                      I started out in this thread preferring Mint.
                      Then I went full speed with Ubuntu.
                      Now I still use Ubuntu, but my go-to, these days, is Fedora Workstation 32.
                      Fedora appeals to mostly intermediate, or advanced users.
                      Fedora is rock solid, and keeps you on the newest latest Kernel, and other app software.
                      32 is currently on Kernel 5.8.13.
                      https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10895
                      I agree tho that any Linux, is good Linux!
                      What Linux do you like?
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

• Hi, I been on Debian since release of Buster. KDE Plasma. Have had 0 problems so far, all updates also without a hitch.
                        before that I used Centos as it runs servers I manage at w. but not really alot of music software I wanted. Debian has almost all
                        of it.

Comment

• Debian and KDE.
                          Sounds good.
                          Never been smart enough here to figure out KDE.
                          I used to run Mate, and XFCE, now I try to stick with Gnome.
                          Gnome with the hot left corner is what I like.
                          Feel free to leave a desktop screenshot.
                          Here's one of my Gnome desktops.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2020-10-11 17-39-34.png Views:	0 Size:	930.8 KB ID:	915588
                          Attached Files
                          Terry

Comment

• Gnome is good I was using it until switching to Debian. Looks like Fedora is using a newer kernel then Debian,
                            I have 4.19.0-11-amd64.

Comment

• I have been running Linux mint since 2014 when XP became unsupported. I started with old computer hardware and found Maya 13 Mint was somewhat compatible with terrible aging hardware. After getting a better computer I then moved up to Mint 17.3 Rosa and ran that install flawless from 2015 till it was unsupported in 2019. In 2019 I reinstalled on the same computer to Mint 19 since Mint 17 was now unsupported by that date. I ran that Mint 19 install for a little over a year and just recently had my first problem.

About 3 weeks ago I something really bad happened to my installation of Mint 19. Had left my computer on for a few hours and then I went to shut it down. All of a sudden the computer was running really slow and barely was able to shut it down. Next day I went to boot and it kept failing to boot up after encryption screen entry. I tried everything to fix the installation and running from live usb to recover things did nothing at all to help. I could not decrypt the Home folder and I tried every way to accomplish this task. From this point forward I am not going to encrypt my drive or the home folder. I gave up on the lost cause and wrote zeros to every sector of the hard drive, so the drive was not the problem. Re-installed with Linux Mint 20 and all has been well the last few weeks. Still running the same computer hardware since 2015.

I have not really wanted to migrate away from Linux Mint and once I pick a system I like it to run for years.
                              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

• I have not really wanted to migrate away from Linux Mint and once I pick a system I like it to run for years.
                                I'm always looking for a better mouse trap!
                                I liked Mint, Ubu, and Fedora offer Gnome, my desktop of choice, but all 3 are good.
                                Sorry about your issues, I had bad experiences too, with encrypting files and folders.
                                I keep lots of spare backups, on differeent drives, and different computers.
                                GL,
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X