Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not lose very much data really. I have a large external drive with all the stuff that is truly important. I lost a few music albums that was on the drive. Mostly I was looking at repairing the install and subsequently salvaging the data files in a learning fashion. I am pretty sure my encryption files got whacked. So lesson learned, encryption can be your best friend or your worst enemy.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

• Here's some info on Ubuntu 20.04LTS?
      You can either leave it on 20.04, or upgrade it to 20.10.
      By upgrading vs new install, the upgrade process keeps all settings and files, as is.
      The 20.10 runs the new 5.8 kernel, and uses the new 3.38 Gnome version.
      I wanted the new kernel and newer version Gnome desktop, so I upgraded.
      By going to 20.10 you lose the long term 5 year support, but can upgrade to the newer software version, every 6 months.
      I will leave my wife's laptop on 20.04LTS, but will keep my laptops on the newer versions each 6 months, when they become available.
      GL,
      T
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2020-11-17 11-44-38.png Views:	0 Size:	642.0 KB ID:	918400
      Last edited by big_teee; 11-17-2020, 05:07 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• Uefi/Secureboot Info for Linux.
        Through the last 8 years or so, I've done a lot of experimenting with different linux distributions, on many different laptops.
        One issue you run into is uefi and secureboot.
        Windows 8 and 10 computers, come with uefi and secure boot enabled.
        Most Linux will work with uefi, but very few will work with secure boot enabled.
        Ubuntu is one of the very few linux distro's that meets the secure boot requirement.
        Fedora, and most others do not.(not sure about mint)
        Here is the Ubuntu statement on uefi/secureboot.

How UEFI Secure Boot works on Ubuntu
        On Ubuntu, all pre-built binaries intended to be loaded as part of the boot process, with the exception of the initrd image,
        are signed by Canonical's UEFI certificate, which itself is implicitly trusted by being embedded in the shim loader, itself signed by Microsoft.

I currently have Uefi/Secureboot both enabled on my 3 laptops.
        I have to disable secureboot in the bios, to boot into fedora.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 11-28-2020, 06:56 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• If you want to try a different Linux, and tired of the same old Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc?
          I suggest giving Mageia 8 a try.
          8 is still in the Beta stage, but has lots of possibilities.
          Mageia 8 is kind of a cross between the old Mandriva, Fedora, and Ubuntu.
          It is still RPM based, Uses the Urpmi, and also the DNF package managers.
          But has lots of programs and apps on the Mageia repository.
          It is available for download in KDE, XFCE, or Gnome.
          You can get it here.
          https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=11107
          I've been running it for a couple weeks on my linux test computer, and so far I really like it.
          I look forward to the issuing of the final Stable version.
          Here's a couple of screen shots of my Gnome desktop version.
          T

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2020-12-23 19-45-36.png Views:	0 Size:	323.0 KB ID:	920899Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2020-12-23 19-46-13.png Views:	0 Size:	652.4 KB ID:	920900
          Last edited by big_teee; 12-23-2020, 07:10 PM.
          Terry

Comment

• An now for something different the pinephone
            The PinePhone is an affordable Linux phone created by Pine64, makers of the Pinebook Pro laptop and the Pine64 single board computer. This little-known,
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

• I want to remind Linux users that we have a Linux User Group, here on the MEF.
              You can join the group here, if you want to.
              https://music-electronics-forum.com/social-groups
              Thanks,
              T
              Terry

Comment

• System monitoring center for linux
                System Monitoring Center is an all-in-one open-source app to monitor essential system resource stats eliminating the need for multiple tools.

Comment

• Have you downloaded and gave it a spin?
                  I will put it on my Test Machine on Ubuntu, and see how it does?
                  I don't normally monitor much, unless I'm having problems with something.
                  Things I do check often, are from command line.
                  For Disk Usage:
                  # df
                  For Update info:
                  # Hostnamectl
                  For active partitions:
                  # lsblk
                  To update, upgrade, and auto remove:
                  # apt update && apt upgrade && apt autoremove
                  To know my gnome desktop version:
                  # gnome-shell --version
                  Mine is currently on gnome version 40.5

That takes care of most of what I do.
                  But, I will check out the monitoring system app!
                  Thanks for the input.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

• Yes coming from a windows background it's like task manager everything all in one place. Not something I'd use unless I was noticing lag.
                    nosaj

Comment

• Ubuntu won't let me install it, it complains of dependencies.
                      How did you install it?
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

• i used software install 3.36.1 cam with LXQT package I'm running. Be aware it is a beta though.

nosaj

Comment

• I had to install the python dependency, it was complaining about.
                          I was able to install the monitoring app with this command.
                          root@Ubu2:/home/terry# dpkg -i system-monitoring-center_0.1.21~beta18_amd64.deb
                          I added some screenshots of it, in case someone wants to look it over.
                          Thanks for sharing the monitoring app.
                          T

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-12-02 14-11-56.png Views:	0 Size:	784.9 KB ID:	946302 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-12-02 14-12-19.png Views:	0 Size:	784.9 KB ID:	946303 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-12-02 14-12-08.png Views:	0 Size:	819.2 KB ID:	946304
                          Terry

Comment

• I mainly use, and play with 3 different Linux platforms, with 3 different Package Managers.
                            Ubuntu, Mint, MX, and all Distros built from Debian, Ubuntu, use the apt package management system.
                            Fedora, centOS, Redhat, and anything built off of the Redhad platform, uss the old yum, or the now newer dnf management platform.
                            Arch, Manjaro, EndeavourOS, and anything using the Arch platform uses the pacman management system.
                            The three management platforms do similar things but with the three different command structures.
                            This trusty guide compares the three commands, and since I know apt the best I can use this guide to come up with similar command for dnf and pacman.
                            If you use the gui's then you don't need the commands, but some functions are just easier, and quicker with command line.
                            https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta
                            GL,
                            T
                            Last edited by big_teee; 12-07-2021, 04:00 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

• If you want to upgrade your kernel to an existing Ubuntu or Mint OS?
                              It tells you how to do it here.
                              https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php...rnel-5-15-out/

For those familiar with Linux command line, open terminal.
                              Intermediate skills needed. This will install kernel 5.15.
                              (In Terminal at command line, in root, put these commands in one at a time)
                              $ sudo su
                              # cd /tmp/
                              # wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-pp...312130_all.deb (get these from the website doc, html changes the commands to a web address)
                              # wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-pp...2130_amd64.deb
                              # dpkg -i *.deb

Once installed, restart your computer and enjoy!

Hopefully it works, it worked great on my linux test machine.

T
                              Last edited by big_teee; 12-15-2021, 08:03 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

• I was rained in most of this week.

I became more of a linux geek than normal. lol

I learned a lot more about manipulating Ubuntu linux kernels.

One thing I wasn't aware of, was how /tmp directory works.

You put the 3 kernel .deb files in /tmp, they are headers, image, and module.

Then from /tmp run the "dpkg -i *.deb" command.

the -i is for install and the *.deb, the * or splat, as it is called in unix, runs everything in that directory with a .deb file.

Then after the install, at next bootup, the three .deb files are deleted, and are gone, that is the purpose of putting them in /tmp?

The /tmp has automatic cleanup.

All works pretty slick.

I get the kernels from this location?

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

I currently have the regular ubuntu signed kernel 5.13.0-22 on my machines along with the latest 5.16.rc5 unsigned kernel.

The rc 5.16, which is the latest kernel available, runs great.

I started with 5.15.9, it had some screen flicker, so I went to the 5.16.rc5, and that cured the flicker.

Must have been a driver issue.

This is probably a TMI, too much info, don't care, but if I type it all out, it helps me remember it. lol

I'm still in aw of linux, and unix, and still can't believe they let me play with all of this for free?

T

Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X