No announcement yet.

Microsoft call scam. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone help on this: my old friend had this scam call 2 weeks ago, so I was primarily concerned they dug into xyz to extract any bank info as I said.

Now he called his bank, & went through all statements with some poor call handler, establishing nothing obviously had been stolen.. thankfully.. but two monthly direct debits going back ages (£11 and £3 or so) he had no idea of: so these stopped. These unlikely to be connected to the call recent scam then.

When he then told me he didn't want his card renewed (bc he said he's using it to buy food, doesnt want this stopped) I had a bit of a fright, & told him again he must do this 1st up, explaining he just either phones food place with new card numbers, or wait until they phone when old card numbers won't work. Not happy of course.

Am I right here? or is him still using same card no more of a concern than a new one-?

Comment

If there is any chance they scraped that old card number off his computer, he should get it cancelled. Even if they don't use the card number, they will sell it and it could be used later.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        If there is any chance they scraped that old card number off his computer, he should get it cancelled. Even if they don't use the card number, they will sell it and it could be used later.
        Thanks g1- I agree it seems to be sensible/ but getting him to is another matter.

As to his laptop, Ive given all the info condensed on here, to someone whose looking over it/ laptop with them.. we'll see what the damage is in a while.

Much appreciate the replies. SC

Comment

Working...
        X