Danolectric PU switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danolectric PU switch

I received a Danolectric '59 U2 reissue ( made in Korea) that the customer tried to replace the PU selector switch (broken stem).
    He bought a mighty Mite MM500. SPDT On/Both/On.
    The middle position killed the signal.
    Upon inspection of the original switch, it appears to be On/None/On.
    Does anyone know where to get this switch? SPDT On/None/On.
    It appears that the switch is selecting On-Parallel/ None- Bridge/ On-Series.
    Link to switch:3 position toggle switch mm500 Mighty Mite
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 01-12-2010, 12:50 AM.

Danoletric 56 U2

Another post;http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14232/

Comment

Maybe this place can help

Parts Danelectro, Silvertone Guitar, Bass, Parts, Accessories. History, Vintage Danelectro
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Just go for a Carlton brand toggle switch from Mouser. On-none-on should be readily available but you can check ebay too.

Comment

SPDT ON NONE ON Switch

I have found many switches with the ON NONE ON configuration.
          Unfortunately none of them are Gibson like, with the plastic knob.
          I repaired the switch that was in the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            I received a Danolectric '59 U2 reissue ( made in Korea) that the customer tried to replace the PU selector switch (broken stem).
            He bought a mighty Mite MM500. SPDT On/Both/On.
            The middle position killed the signal.
            Upon inspection of the original switch, it appears to be On/None/On.
            Does anyone know where to get this switch? SPDT On/None/On.
            It appears that the switch is selecting On-Parallel/ None- Bridge/ On-Series.
            Link to switch:3 position toggle switch mm500 Mighty Mite
            Hi: I've been trying to help a friend with the wiring in his Dano U2. His pickups are wired as shown in your hand-sketch. But respectfully I don't think the switch you've identified SPDT - on / none (off) / on ... will work if the switching goal is up/neck-middle/blend/series - down/bridge.

This is your sketch with some color added to help sort it out:

Neck: red bar indicating position of switch and contact connection. In this position, the output of the bridge pickup is grounded out ... neck output only:

Bridge: I've indicated 'Bridge ??' because, even though the switch is in the 'middle' position, the only possible blend position is shown further below. I think this position works for a 'neck' position, but there's already a neck position and besides, if it's another neck position, and the blend is shown below ... where is the bridge position?

Blend: In this position ... with the switch thrown opposite from the neck, the combined outputs are connected within the switch as shown. Wouldn't that be 'blend'? And, if it was blend, where is the 'Bridge' position?

I've looked at the SD Duo Sonic wiring; those pickups are in series, the switch in that drawing is an on / none (off) / on switch (it's actually two-pole with only one side being used) and I think it would work fine.

In contrast to your drawing, the wiring sequence in the SD sketch is pickups, switch, controls, and jack whereas your sketch is pickups, controls, switch, jack.

Not that I'm an engineer but I don't see how your switch wiring works with an on / none / on switch. My friend has a on / none / on switch that will work with the SD layout but not yours ... except that he's wired like your sketch but I don't see how the on/off/on switch wired the way you've shown it will work.

Anyway, can you (can anybody) help straighten this out? Thank you. John

Comment

I have found many switches with the ON NONE ON configuration.
              Unfortunately none of them are Gibson like, with the plastic knob.
              I repaired the switch that was in the guitar.
              The original old Dano switches are straight from the hardware store and did not have a plastic cap. The reissue switches are cheaper but still have a solid metal bat -no plastic cap.

Comment

I have to apologise for having a lack of any more information.
                To the best of my knowledge, that is how the pickup/ switch was wired.
                I did not wire up the setup to the schematic.
                I just drew it.
                I may be totally wrong on the "bridge" statement.
                It may have been a another configuration.
                Phase, series, parallel.
                I do not recall.
                I still cannot believe the factory could not provide that switch.

Comment

... I still cannot believe the factory could not provide that switch.
                  Hi; thanks for the reply. It's not the switch; I have a SP/DT made specifically to replace the factory Dano switch.

Anyway, thanks again. J

Comment

I have to apologise for having a lack of any more information.
                    I just drew it.
                    Phase, series, parallel.
                    I do not recall.
                    I still cannot believe the factory could not provide that switch.
                    The "factory" is in Korea and China. For Danelectro parts, you would go through a distributor. I usually use Allparts. The Dano replacement toggle is here:
                    Chrome Danelectro Toggle | Allparts.com
                    Your original wiring was likely correct, but a Gibson style toggle will not work- you will not get anything in the middle position as you described. As I said, you can buy the cheaply made "factory" or you could buy a switch at the hardware store or Radio Shack- just like Danelectro originally did in the 1950s. The three positions on a stock Danelectro toggle are Neck/both in series/bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by capnjuan View Post
                      Hi: I've been trying to help a friend with the wiring in his Dano U2. His pickups are wired as shown in your hand-sketch. But respectfully I don't think the switch you've identified SPDT - on / none (off) / on ... will work if the switching goal is up/neck-middle/blend/series - down/bridge.

This is your sketch with some color added to help sort it out:

Neck: red bar indicating position of switch and contact connection. In this position, the output of the bridge pickup is grounded out ... neck output only:

Bridge: I've indicated 'Bridge ??' because, even though the switch is in the 'middle' position, the only possible blend position is shown further below. I think this position works for a 'neck' position, but there's already a neck position and besides, if it's another neck position, and the blend is shown below ... where is the bridge position?

Blend: In this position ... with the switch thrown opposite from the neck, the combined outputs are connected within the switch as shown. Wouldn't that be 'blend'? And, if it was blend, where is the 'Bridge' position?

I've looked at the SD Duo Sonic wiring; those pickups are in series, the switch in that drawing is an on / none (off) / on switch (it's actually two-pole with only one side being used) and I think it would work fine.

In contrast to your drawing, the wiring sequence in the SD sketch is pickups, switch, controls, and jack whereas your sketch is pickups, controls, switch, jack.

Not that I'm an engineer but I don't see how your switch wiring works with an on / none / on switch. My friend has a on / none / on switch that will work with the SD layout but not yours ... except that he's wired like your sketch but I don't see how the on/off/on switch wired the way you've shown it will work.

Anyway, can you (can anybody) help straighten this out? Thank you. John
                      The first drawing looks correct to me. Further down you've got the bridge and blend confused. The middle position is both pickups in series(blend).

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
                        The first drawing looks correct to me. Further down you've got the bridge and blend confused. The middle position is both pickups in series(blend).
                        Hi Sweetfinger; if all you're telling me is that that middle position is supposed to be blend, I agree with you. I also agree that my sketch labeled bridge ?? (notice the question marks) won't work as blend ... it's label 'bridge' by process of elimination.

This is what the OP said in response to my sketches:

"I have to apologise for having a lack of any more information.
                        I just drew it.
                        Phase, series, parallel.
                        I do not recall.
                        I still cannot believe the factory could not provide that switch. "

I agree; my top sketch is a neck position; the problem is that if my bottom sketch is a blend position, then .... if you'll just think about it for a moment, that leaves the middle position only as a potential 'bridge' position ... so; I labeled the middle sketch bridge ?? suggesting confusion over whether it would work as a bridge position and, if you'll look at it, you'll see that in the middle position, only the neck/green is connected to the jack.

Summarizing the OP's sketch and my sketches, based on the OPs layout:
                        Full one direction = Neck ... fine
                        Full the other = Blend ... fine again.

But the problem is that with an on/off/on as the OP recommended, the middle position is another version of the neck position .... so, using the OP's directions we have:

Neck
                        Neck
                        Blend

Thank you for the reply.
                        Last edited by capnjuan; 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

But the problem is that with an on/off/on as the OP recommended, the middle position is another version of the neck position .... so, using the OP's directions we have:

Neck
                          Neck
                          Blend

Thank you for the reply.
                          That is not correct... AFAIK that first drawing is good, and the On/Off/On switch is correct. If you look, you'll see that in the middle(off) position, both pickups are in series with independent volume and tone controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
                            That is not correct... AFAIK that first drawing is good, and the On/Off/On switch is correct. If you look, you'll see that in the middle(off) position, both pickups are in series with independent volume and tone controls.

Hi: this sketch reproduces the middle position; switch straight up. The switch is not a 'blade' type commonly used on Gibsons and Fenders ... it's an industrial style with its contacts enclosed like this one:

The green line in the sketch is the output of the neck pickup. The other line carrying both neck and bridge signals ... because this is an on/off/on switch and because the composite signal is connected to the middle lug means that it isn't connected to the jack - it's just terminated on a lug that's not connected to anything.

Comment

Hi: this sketch reproduces the middle position; switch straight up.

The green line in the sketch is the output of the neck pickup.
                              You are incorrect. The green line is the output of BOTH pickups. In A Danelectro, both pickups are wired in series AT ALL TIMES. All the switch does is short each pickup to itself when toggled to the respective (on) position.

Comment

Working...
                              X